Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really can't find any material to answer this question, could anyone help?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of liqiud and gaseous fuels limited to C4H10 and C8H18 and relate these to enviromental factors.

ace

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I remember doing this in AS - there's ease of handling, risk of escape (much easier to lose gases from the container). I also remember doing a calculation that I THINK showed that the larger the molecules in the fuel, the lower the CO2:energy released ratio. However it was a very long time ago so this might be wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Advantages - Cheaper to compress to a liquid from gas; rather than making it a solid, which would be highly expensive. Also liquid forms have applications in vehicles due to the need for the fuel to adapt to the shape of the fue hold.

Disadvantages - Fuels and gases can be spilled more easily, and more widely. Due to the volatility, there is a possible of toxin additives entering the air; this is dangerous in a closed environment. Liquids and gases have lower density, and thus require larger tankers (mention the fact that the energy density of fluids is lower than solids).

I hope that helps, as its all that I can recommend from the top of my head

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I always find chemistry a challenge, but that also makes me have more respect for the subject?! It is kinda annoying that i understand the aspects more as time goes on, so a few weeks after the exams i understand alot better :confused:

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.