Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The university with the vainest students is... Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    A survey looking into UK university students' spending habits on their monthly beauty regimes, and the amount of beauty salons in a two-mile radius of universities has deducted that...

*drum roll*

... The University of Edinburgh apparently has the 'vainest' students.

The uni boasts an impressive 150 beauty salons in the surrounding area, and students claim to frequent these, spending on average £60 a month on their beauty regimes - only 20 quid less than they claim to be spending on groceries.

Edinburgh students were closely followed by those at the universities of Belfast, Glasgow and Bristol, who had similar spending habits and access to salons.

However, Durham university students are said to be the 'least vain', with only 14 beauty salons nearby and the smallest beauty budgets...

What do you think?

Are you guilty of over-indulging in your beauty regime? :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    The second metric is stupid

You need to factor in for regional price differences as well

ReputationRep:
    there was surely always likely to be more beauty salons within a 2m radius of Edinburgh University, is in the middle of a big city, than Durham, is a one-horse town.

ReputationRep:
    well Edinburgh students don't have to pay fees if they are Scotch. so they have plenty of

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...0b098f4472.jpg

to flash around

:emo:

what constitutes vain tho?
      if someone wears loads of makeup to cover scars and spends ages getting ready bc they are insecure and can hardly look in a mirror would you still class that as vain?
      not that that applies to me cos im insecure and dont wear makeup :rofl: but ik some ppl who it does apply too
      undoubtedly arrogant people exist but you cant judge that on how much makeup someone wears lol
      EDIT: plus the fact Edinburgh is more expensive than somewhere say like Preston so there you might get x amount of make up for £100 whereas in Preston you might get 3x for the same amount
      • Community Assistant
      • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
      How do you know students live within that radius or that they use local salons? Maybe it's the rich yummy mummies who live in big city-centre houses frequenting all those salons. :erm:

• TSR Support Team
      • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
      Interesting….

Spoiler:
      Show
      • Section Leader
      • Very Important Poster
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Paracosm)
      Interesting….

Spoiler:
      Show
      Now people are officially no longer allowed to judge me

ReputationRep:
      I have spent far more than that on alcohol in an effort to cultivate a beautiful beer belly

ReputationRep:
      I don't know how to feel about this, considering I got an offer from there.

Should I be happy or what?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JohnGreek)
      Edinburgh has munt birds tho
      In my experience the ones that try extremely hard tend to end up looking worse off for it so that kinda makes sense if true.

Although subjective innit

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cambio wechsel)
      there was surely always likely to be more beauty salons within a 2m radius of Edinburgh University, is in the middle of a big city, than Durham, is a one-horse town.
      Also, people in Edinburgh are more in need. All those cold winds chap the face.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Google22)
      I don't know how to feel about this, considering I got an offer from there.

Should I be happy or what?
      You need to get yourself down to the salon pronto.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Salamandastron)
      EDIT: plus the fact Edinburgh is more expensive than somewhere say like Preston so there you might get x amount of make up for £100 whereas in Preston you might get 3x for the same amount
      Some prices are pretty much national, so Boots No 7 range for example is the same everywhere.

ReputationRep:
      loughborough

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
        Some prices are pretty much national, so Boots No 7 range for example is the same everywhere.
        Not necessarily, the RRP might be the same everywhere but some places like TJ Hughs or HomeBargains or whatever usually sell slightly knock off things with slight imperfections or 'last years branding' or whatever at lower prices

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tehforum)
        The second metric is stupid

You need to factor in for regional price differences as well
        The 2nd metric is the best compromise they can make to determine how much business beauty salons get from students in the area. If they can't get sales figures, which they likely can't, then it's reasonable to just make the assumption that if there is high demand in a particular area, more beauty salons will appear there. Therefore, if there are more beauty salons already, then it's likely that there has, at least historically, been high demand in that area.

And regional prices differences are usually alleviated by regional differences in student wealth. If products are more expensive in an area, it's usually because the retailers can get away with it, as their potential customers in the area are wealthier.

(Original post by Salamandastron)
        what constitutes vain tho?
        if someone wears loads of makeup to cover scars and spends ages getting ready bc they are insecure and can hardly look in a mirror would you still class that as vain?
        It could be considered somewhat vain, because they're taking more pride in their outwards appearance than their natural selves. However, it's not really excessive pride, so it's a difficult predicament.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
        You need to get yourself down to the salon pronto.
        But I already look on fleek tho

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gr8wizard10)
        loughborough
        Why Loughborough?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Smotherish)
        Why Loughborough?
        they are the super-elite

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.