The Student Room Group

The university with the vainest students is...

A survey looking into UK university students' spending habits on their monthly beauty regimes, and the amount of beauty salons in a two-mile radius of universities has deducted that...

*drum roll*

... The University of Edinburgh apparently has the 'vainest' students. :colondollar:

The uni boasts an impressive 150 beauty salons in the surrounding area, and students claim to frequent these, spending on average £60 a month on their beauty regimes - only 20 quid less than they claim to be spending on groceries.

Edinburgh students were closely followed by those at the universities of Belfast, Glasgow and Bristol, who had similar spending habits and access to salons.

However, Durham university students are said to be the 'least vain', with only 14 beauty salons nearby and the smallest beauty budgets...

What do you think?

Are you guilty of over-indulging in your beauty regime? :blushing:

Scroll to see replies

The second metric is stupid

You need to factor in for regional price differences as well
there was surely always likely to be more beauty salons within a 2m radius of Edinburgh University, is in the middle of a big city, than Durham, is a one-horse town.
well Edinburgh students don't have to pay fees if they are Scotch. so they have plenty of

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/20/2a/be/202abe19935cd0b0977ac70b098f4472.jpg

to flash around

:emo:
what constitutes vain tho?
if someone wears loads of makeup to cover scars and spends ages getting ready bc they are insecure and can hardly look in a mirror would you still class that as vain?
not that that applies to me cos im insecure and dont wear makeup :rofl: but ik some ppl who it does apply too
undoubtedly arrogant people exist but you cant judge that on how much makeup someone wears lol
EDIT: plus the fact Edinburgh is more expensive than somewhere say like Preston so there you might get x amount of make up for £100 whereas in Preston you might get 3x for the same amount
(edited 7 years ago)
How do you know students live within that radius or that they use local salons? Maybe it's the rich yummy mummies who live in big city-centre houses frequenting all those salons. :erm:

Interesting….

Spoiler

Original post by Paracosm
Interesting….

Spoiler

Now people are officially no longer allowed to judge me :smile: :smile:
Reply 8
I have spent far more than that on alcohol in an effort to cultivate a beautiful beer belly
I don't know how to feel about this, considering I got an offer from there.

Should I be happy or what?
In my experience the ones that try extremely hard tend to end up looking worse off for it so that kinda makes sense if true.

Although subjective innit
Original post by cambio wechsel
there was surely always likely to be more beauty salons within a 2m radius of Edinburgh University, is in the middle of a big city, than Durham, is a one-horse town.

Also, people in Edinburgh are more in need. All those cold winds chap the face.
Original post by Google22
I don't know how to feel about this, considering I got an offer from there.

Should I be happy or what?

You need to get yourself down to the salon pronto.
Original post by Salamandastron

EDIT: plus the fact Edinburgh is more expensive than somewhere say like Preston so there you might get x amount of make up for £100 whereas in Preston you might get 3x for the same amount

Some prices are pretty much national, so Boots No 7 range for example is the same everywhere.
loughborough
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Some prices are pretty much national, so Boots No 7 range for example is the same everywhere.

Not necessarily, the RRP might be the same everywhere but some places like TJ Hughs or HomeBargains or whatever usually sell slightly knock off things with slight imperfections or 'last years branding' or whatever at lower prices
Original post by tehforum
The second metric is stupid

You need to factor in for regional price differences as well

The 2nd metric is the best compromise they can make to determine how much business beauty salons get from students in the area. If they can't get sales figures, which they likely can't, then it's reasonable to just make the assumption that if there is high demand in a particular area, more beauty salons will appear there. Therefore, if there are more beauty salons already, then it's likely that there has, at least historically, been high demand in that area.

And regional prices differences are usually alleviated by regional differences in student wealth. If products are more expensive in an area, it's usually because the retailers can get away with it, as their potential customers in the area are wealthier.

Original post by Salamandastron
what constitutes vain tho?
if someone wears loads of makeup to cover scars and spends ages getting ready bc they are insecure and can hardly look in a mirror would you still class that as vain?

It could be considered somewhat vain, because they're taking more pride in their outwards appearance than their natural selves. However, it's not really excessive pride, so it's a difficult predicament.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You need to get yourself down to the salon pronto.

But I already look on fleek tho :u:
Original post by gr8wizard10
loughborough
Why Loughborough?
Original post by Smotherish
Why Loughborough?

they are the super-elite

Quick Reply

Latest