Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students, do you pay your own phone bill? Watch

• View Poll Results: Students, do you pay your own phone bill?
    Yes.
    45.76%
    No. My parents/someone else does.
    54.24%

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form, my parents paid, uni they didn't but they did pay my rent so I will let them off.

ReputationRep:
    First contract phone, parents paid for it (was about £16/month), now me, and both my siblings, have taken out our second contract in our names - before none of us were old enough to do so - but parents contribute £20/month to each of us for it whilst we're all at uni. Anything over that, we pay ourselves (so, I'm really paying like £1.60/month lol and my siblings both £15/month as they got iPhones).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    A) Hmm, I guess a contract one would be best.
    B)
    I've never liked them. There are so many reasons to dislike Apple at this point.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Sixth form, my parents paid, uni they didn't but they did pay my rent so I will let them off.
    That's pretty good.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    First contract phone, parents paid for it (was about £16/month), now me, and both my siblings, have taken out our second contract in our names - before none of us were old enough to do so - but parents contribute £20/month to each of us for it whilst we're all at uni. Anything over that, we pay ourselves (so, I'm really paying like £1.60/month lol and my siblings both £15/month as they got iPhones).
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Manxlad Dusky Mauve Moonstruck16 TaintedLight BrainyBengali Loopy91 cherryred90s Acsel 27FT

Would you mind voting on the poll please?

Just added it.
    Done
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Done
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I tactically asked for my phone april 2 years ago. Simply because I knew if I did it september or later, the time the upgrade would come is when I'm in uni and have my student loan. I was pretty sure my parents would make me pay if I had money.

By asking in april, my contract ran out april last year when I was still in sixth form. So they upgraded it to an S7 and still pay the bill for me.

Though looking back on it, I didn't need to do any of that. I think they were always planning to pay it anyway.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pairofjeans)
    I tactically asked for my phone april 2 years ago. Simply because I knew if I did it september or later, the time the upgrade would come is when I'm in uni and have my student loan. I was pretty sure my parents would make me pay if I had money.

By asking in april, my contract ran out april last year when I was still in sixth form. So they upgraded it to an S7 and still pay the bill for me.

Though looking back on it, I didn't need to do any of that. I think they were always planning to pay it anyway.
    Not bad.

Like your name.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    My mum agreed to help me pay for mine through college, though I pay for it when I can afford it. My contract runs out in August, just before I leave for uni, and I'll be paying for that one

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 25 year old student and no, no I don't.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    My mum agreed to help me pay for mine through college, though I pay for it when I can afford it. My contract runs out in August, just before I leave for uni, and I'll be paying for that one
    Okay.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by facelark123)
    I'm a 25 year old student and no, no I don't.
    How long have you paid for?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I pay for mine, in 6th year and I pay £40.99 a month I feel bad asking my parents for money now that I am 18 in less than 2 months.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottishgirl163)
    I pay for mine, in 6th year and I pay £40.99 a month I feel bad asking my parents for money now that I am 18 in less than 2 months.
    That's quite expensive. What phone is it?

ReputationRep:
    I would be a little more specific with the question. Are you referring to a mobile phone or a landline?
    At 17 I paid both mobile and landline. I have always paid a mobile (first mobile at 14/15, I had a job).
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittylorelli)
    I would be a little more specific with the question. Are you referring to a mobile phone or a landline?
    At 17 I paid both mobile and landline. I have always paid a mobile (first mobile at 14/15, I had a job).
    Mobile, sorry.

Very efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, £43.20 a month 🙄😂
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just4)
    Yes, £43.20 a month 🙄😂
    That's expensive. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    That's expensive. :eek3:
    It is 😂 probably should have thought about it more

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.