Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flat stomach - is my diet OK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I have 1700 cals a day (roughly.. .I don't like to calorie count everything), and burn around 300-500 cals per day. I go to the gym 5-6x a week & do a mixture of weight training and cardio, and I do ab exercises every other day. I also walk for one hour most days. I have been doing this since October 2016 and have lost 3 inches off my waist and 3 inches off my hips also. Whilst I am happy with my progress, it seems to be taking longer than I'd anticipated to lose fat from my stomach in comparison to other areas.

In terms of my diet, I usually have:

Breakfast: Cereal
    Lunch: Sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken stir fry/ baked sweet potato/ fish or chicken & veg/ chicken pie & sweet potato fries/ pizza (once every 2 weeks)

Snacks: Peanut butter & banana, biscuit, nuts
    Drinks: Water, tea/coffee (2-3 cups a day)

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Would I need to be stricter with my diet? Or is it just a matter of being patient?

Thanks in advance!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good job!

Matter of being patient.
    Tbh, the weights and strengthening your core with compound movements and the like, will mean you can have more body fat and have a flatter stomach.

So what i'm saying is you'd have to be super skinny to have a flat stomach. Just keep at it and over time you'll slowly build more muscle and shift a little more fat and get the body you want.

Don't starve yourself in pursuit of having a flat stomach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbuttercup)
    At the moment I have 1700 cals a day (roughly.. .I don't like to calorie count everything), and burn around 300-500 cals per day. I go to the gym 5-6x a week & do a mixture of weight training and cardio, and I do ab exercises every other day. I also walk for one hour most days. I have been doing this since October 2016 and have lost 3 inches off my waist and 3 inches off my hips also. Whilst I am happy with my progress, it seems to be taking longer than I'd anticipated to lose fat from my stomach in comparison to other areas.

In terms of my diet, I usually have:

Breakfast: Cereal
    Lunch: Sandwich
    Dinner: Chicken stir fry/ baked sweet potato/ fish or chicken & veg/ chicken pie & sweet potato fries/ pizza (once every 2 weeks)

Snacks: Peanut butter & banana, biscuit, nuts
    Drinks: Water, tea/coffee (2-3 cups a day)

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Would I need to be stricter with my diet? Or is it just a matter of being patient?

Thanks in advance!
    You sound dedicated. :five:

You're already achieving a flatter stomach in the healthiest way possible - it'll just take a bit more time.

If you want to accelerate it, I'd suggest increasing the intensity of your cardio workouts. If you're not doing so already, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is monstrously efficient at burning body fat - of course, you'll have to go in with maximum effort.

Let us know if you want a plan.

(Original post by Unistudent77)
    Good job!

Matter of being patient.
    Tbh, the weights and strengthening your core with compound movements and the like, will mean you can have more body fat and have a flatter stomach.

So what i'm saying is you'd have to be super skinny to have a flat stomach. Just keep at it and over time you'll slowly build more muscle and shift a little more fat and get the body you want.

Don't starve yourself in pursuit of having a flat stomach.
    Do you have a link for a HIIT routine?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Let us know if you want a plan.

Do you have a link for a HIIT routine?
    Can't tell if being disingenuous or not but regardless, i'm sure there is one in the FAQ.
    I certainly do not personally know of a good one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Can't tell if being disingenuous or not but regardless, i'm sure there is one in the FAQ.
    I certainly do not personally know of a good one
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    just be patient, sounds like you've lost a fair amount already... if you go too fast it'll be harder to keep off

ReputationRep:
    Women have naturally wide hips so the stomach area will always have some stubborn fat that doesn't burn away...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.