Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman' Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    “There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.”

Full article at http://variety.com/2017/film/news/be...ct-1201971566/

What are your thoughts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Saw this earlier, between what they've already released, troubles on The Batman the The Flash movies and their main star clearly unsettled then DC/Warner Bros are clearly in such a mess right now and at this point they honestly may as well reboot the whole thing already.

If WW and JL don't deliver they are screwed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Saw this earlier, between what they've already released, troubles on The Batman the The Flash movies and their main star clearly unsettled then DC/Warner Bros are clearly in such a mess right now and at this point they honestly may as well reboot the whole thing already.

If WW and JL don't deliver they are screwed
    They're already screwed. They're better off pausing the whole thing, wait until Marvel runs out of steam, then go for it. No matter what they do now they'll be compared to the MCU and to previous (better) Batman films.

Let the hype die down, then try again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They're already screwed. They're better off pausing the whole thing, wait until Marvel runs out of steam, then go for it. No matter what they do now they'll be compared to the MCU and to previous (better) Batman films.

Let the hype die down, then try again.
    If Marvel runs out of steam then the genre has probably run out of steam so I wouldn't do that. They just rushed into it way too quickly with their shared films instead of setting characters up and clearly the producers and execs in charge at Warner Bros aren't running this thing properly.

Flash has already been through about 3 directors and they've just scrapped their whole script again this week a year before it's supposed to come out (it's clearly not making its release date)

They need to restructure behind the scenes after about 4/5 directors have all left on only 2 projects and what you've already put out wasn't good enough.

I prefer DC to Marvel but they've just messed the whole thing up so far.
    • Very Important Poster

I imagine its very draining and he has just go panned in Live By Night. I can see why he thought it was too much. he can always direct a later one, but he is a bit busy trying to keep his family together. The worst thing DC did was commit to Zack Snyder who is consistently rubbish, washed out colour, no plot, poor action his films are terrible, except for 300, which had the comic book to fix the story. Marvel know their audience and can cookie cutter pump them out. It was a shame they sacked the director on Ant Man becayse by all accounts that was going to be a break the mould film.

DC are always going to have a problem with Batman ever exceeding what Nolan did with the character.
    Anyone watching Gotham still? I think they have done a reaosnable job an its still watchable, although not unmissable.

ReputationRep:
    The interesting outcome of this news for me, is how this will effect Ben Affleck and his future projects. Warner Brothers are notoriously well-known for how they treat their directors and keep them on board (i.e. Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan), and Ben Affleck himself has directed several films under the Warner Brothers brand. However with the recent flop of Live By Night, and with all his recent struggles with producers / executives at Warner Brothers and DC, I do wonder whether Ben Affleck will look towards other studios for his future films.

Marvel has a plan, headed by Kevin Feige, and they have for the most part stuck to that plan and delivered on all accounts.

Warner Brothers and DC don't have a plan, or at least they seem unable to stick to any plan they do have. They're completely reactionary (meddling with BvS, Suicide Squad etc.), they announce things far too soon before having anything in place, and it seems like every other week there is an announcement of some change or another.

Get it together!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's a big shame, Affleck showed he can direct with Argo and The Town, and Christ knows what the DC universe needs is solid directors to steer the excellent source material in a halfway decent direction. They reallllly need to find somebody capable of delivering a solid movie to fill his shoes, of all the DC properties Batman is the one that needs to be treated with more deference than an action flick. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that they can pull someone like Fincher out of nowhere :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    A shame as he is a very talented director even though his most recent film wasn't well received Affleck has shown he knows how to direct tense and well scripted films such as The Town and Argo. I personally think Warner Brothers need to follow up on Marvel regarding their structure from what Kevin Feige is doing. Even though the company has recruited Geoff Johns in a similar position, they need a suitable and consistent structure for movies and timeframes. Directors who I think would do a good job on the upcoming Batman film would be Matt Reeves, George Miller or Gavin O'Connor

ReputationRep:
    So another week goes by and more revelations come to light (albeit, one is good this time).

Apparently they're going to be pretty much starting from scrap when it comes to the script (no wonder Affleck stepped down if Warner Bros had no confidence in his script).

But the GOOD news! Matt Reeves seems to have been hired to direct, a selection to which I approve.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    But the GOOD news! Matt Reeves seems to have been hired to direct, a selection to which I approve.
    Same here, part of me was just glad it was anyone but Snyder but I actually really like this director's work. I look forward to seeing what he and Affleck come up with :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Same here, part of me was just glad it was anyone but Snyder but I actually really like this director's work. I look forward to seeing what he and Affleck come up with :yep:
    Welp, it's not looking good.

"A week after entering negotiations to direct The Batman, Matt Reeves has exited the talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-reeves-977266

I honestly don't know how Mel Gibson can be in the rumour mill for Suicide Squad 2 given how Warner Bros and DC are currently handling things. There is no way Mel Gibson is going to get pushed around by the studios.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Matt Reeves now confirmed as the new director
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    Matt Reeves now confirmed as the new director
    Hopefully the undisclosed number of zeroes they had to add onto the end of his paycheck to keep him on won't harm the film's production too badly, in the likely event that this film is a mess I don't want them being able to blame it on the director being greedy.

ReputationRep:
    Batfleck no more post-Justice League?

The Hollywood Reporter seem to think so...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...future-1023296

So bizarre for such a story to drop a day before the Justice League panel at Comic-Con.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Warner Bros won't confirm this until after Justice League comes out. Shazam seems to be the next DC film coming out after Aquaman and another will probably be announced tomorrow during the WB panel at Comic Con. Not sure if they will just recast or kill off Bruce Wayne and go down a Nightwing storyline but with no Affleck to set that up I don't see how. I think they've known this was going to happen for months though.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Christ this franchise is in a mess right now, Batfleck was one of the few beacons of hope among the mountain of crap that Snyder shovelled together. Hopefully they have the balls to kill him off and not recast, with any luck Justice League has given them enough spare footage to kill him off in another DCEU movie and let somebody else take up the cowl.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ben Affleck has denied he is leaving "The Batman" during the Warner Bros. panel at Comic Con

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.