Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Peter Capaldi on Doctor Who "season 10 will be my last" - who's next? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    With Peter Capaldi announcing that the coming season of Doctor Who will be his last, who do you think will replace him?

Do you think he made a good Doctor Who, or are you happy to see him pass on the title?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Richard Ayoade 8/1

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en...or+Who%3f.html

ReputationRep:
    Richard Ayoade would be good. I'd have a cheeky fiver on Stephen Mangan.

Some of those listed are preposterous. Is anyone actually putting money on e.g. Eddie Redmayne or James Corden?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Richard Ayoade would be good. I'd have a cheeky fiver on Stephen Mangan.

Some of those listed are preposterous. Is anyone actually putting money on e.g. Eddie Redmayne or James Corden?
    Ladbrokes have Miranda Hart at 33/1....

http://news.ladbrokes.com/tv/knock-k...or-dr-who.html
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No disrespect to him, but I thought Matt Smith and David Tennant were better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    is that a plunger or are you just pleased to see me? [through fourth wall: ooh, naughty]

ReputationRep:
    David Tenant and Matt Smith defined DW for me. Although, I did quite enjoy Peter Capaldi's last season.

But I think DW has hit its peak. Or maybe I'm just getting old...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    is that a plunger or are you just pleased to see me? [through fourth wall: ooh, naughty]
    #shudders

And Stephen Fry. Baaah!

ReputationRep:
    In fairness in my opinion all the new doctors from the revied series of Doctor Who have been excelent. They have however been let down by the writers. The Master becoming a woman? this is one of the negatives I have toweards new Doctor Who. Had the classic series of Doctor Who not been cancelled in 1989 I feel it would have followed the format that all the other classic Doctor Who episodes have in such each series containing serials each serials containing a number of episodes which makes a story as now I feel 2005 onwwards sinse the revival, Doctor Who stories have been rushed.

I also disagree with the drama/soap opera side of Doctor Who, the 1996 Doctor Who the movie was critisised by former Doctor Who Sylvester MCcoy for being to soapy.

I also quote an argument between Patrick Troughton (Second Doctor Who) and Jon Pertwee (Third Doctor Who) where as Jon wanted more screen time but Patrick pointed out that its not the Doctor that people want to see by the monsters.

On a final note I don't like the way the current script writer Steven Moffat is trying to ruin Doctor Who such as making the master female.

In the history of Doctor Who there were only two people who were the worst enemy of Doctor Who and that is Micheal Grade and Steven Moffat.

This being said as long as the next incarnation of Doctor Who is male I don't care but should his next incarnation be female then that is it it really will be Doctor Who? for the new doctor as I will completely disown the female doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

http://news.ladbrokes.com/tv/knock-k...or-dr-who.html
    No offense to her but that would spoil the programme.

ReputationRep:
    With Chris Chibnall taking over as head writer we could see Tennant back (never say never!).

They did work together on broadchurch afterall.

If we're going for someone new though then I'd quite like Richard Ayoade, he's great in the IT Crowd, although he has recently signed on to present a new series of crystal maze so that could potentially fill up his schedule.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Matt Smith was my favourite Doctor.

And I'll have a vote for Eddie Redmayne please as The Doctor. I don't care if he's still doing Fantastic Beasts or not...(coming from a mega Potter fan)

The next Doctor is
      Spoiler:
      Show

me
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      Capaldi is awesome, some of the stories were lacking (bordering on dreadful) but his performance was always unimpeachable in my opinion. The episodes towards the end of the last season (like 'Heaven Sent') were fantastic. I'm glad he's doing another season and I pray it's a good one. No clue who'll follow him, it's too early for speculation and I'd prefer to be surprised anyway.

ReputationRep:
      I'm disappointed that Capaldi is leaving but I guess it makes sense to have a new Doctor with a new showrunner.

It's surprising to see past Doctors listed so highly on the bookmaker's odds.

Does anyone remember who was favourite to succeed Matt Smith? It was Capaldi right?
      • Very Important Poster

Btw the BBC has put some of the runners and riders up here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

I like Richard Ayoade, Tim Roth, Andrew Scott and Rory Kinnear.

I dont feel it should be a female Dr. Too much of a distraction but like Mary was in Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
      Dr Who isn't good any more anyway

ReputationRep:
      Eddie Redmayne would be too quirky and too much like David Tennant or Matt Smith

I would literally cry if James Corden became the Doctor ughhhhhh

I'd love a female Doctor (but not Miranda Hart jfc) or someone like Idris Elba
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster
      • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
      Honestly I'd love to see Olivia Coleman in the role
      • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
      Lennie James would get my vote. A top actor and the first black Dr Who. He adds so much tension to anything he's in. One of the most talented actors of our time.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.