Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ive graduated uni, and at uni I would mess around and joke around, mainly in the SU, not in lectures.

Now at work I would try to have a laugh, but keep quiet about things which may seem inappropriate. Also I have been applying elsewhere and at uni I didnt mind telling people about jobs.

Now at work, I think its best to keep quiet, in case I didnt get the job, I would look stupid. Not only that people can talk and if word gets out some employees can become envious and try to get you in trouble.

Its a big thing for me to keep quiet as I enjoy being sociable, but in some cases you need to keep it quiet.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redleader1)
    Ive graduated uni, and at uni I would mess around and joke around, mainly in the SU, not in lectures.

Now at work I would try to have a laugh, but keep quiet about things which may seem inappropriate. Also I have been applying elsewhere and at uni I didnt mind telling people about jobs.

Now at work, I think its best to keep quiet, in case I didnt get the job, I would look stupid. Not only that people can talk and if word gets out some employees can become envious and try to get you in trouble.

Its a big thing for me to keep quiet as I enjoy being sociable, but in some cases you need to keep it quiet.
    The stakes are raised at work. You need the income and that can easily evaporate if the employer thinks you have become a liability. It may also harm your future employment chances if your current employer refuses to provide a reference or worse, gives you a poor reference.

The risk of action without thinking is too great to do anything other than behave sensibly. Understanding that and complying with it is in a sense taking responsibility for your actions and can be seen as a more mature attitude.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about maintaining a balance - I can have a joke and a laugh at work whilst still doing my job properly and sensibly. I work in a bar though, which is much more relaxed and laid back atmosphere than an office etc.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    It's all about maintaining a balance - I can have a joke and a laugh at work whilst still doing my job properly and sensibly. I work in a bar though, which is much more relaxed and laid back atmosphere than an office etc.
    That's it exactly. Public facing entertainment industry jobs will have a more relaxed attitude since banter with clients is part of the deal. Messing around or even being distracted by chat when working with anything dangerous or safety critical, is liable to get someone seriously injured or killed if concentration lapses.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.