Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Recommend an online paper / news website for me please! Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Because the local one (Plymouth) is pretty poor.

Are there any papers / news websites that are worth reading now?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I really like The Times for (relatively) balanced and centrist coverage, but it's behind the paywall. The Guardian is good for left-wing politics, but it's a bit too left wing for my liking. If you like The Express' website, or Mail Online, then we'll have to part company. I also particularly like the New York Times (can't get enough of Thomas Friedmann's writing), Le Monde and Frankfurter Allgemeine. The Financial Times is also very good for news in an intelligent, digested form, and the Weekend FT is a good read.

Depends really on your politics and what you want to get out of a news site, I suppose. I imagine some people might have very different tastes to me, but they're my suggestions!

Local papers really are rather rubbish, aren't they. They've mostly been taken over by Johnston's Press and follow a rather predictable, bland format. All about potholes and cats getting stuck up trees.

ReputationRep:
    BBC is a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    Reuters and the FT are the only things worth reading these days.

ReputationRep:
    Read Breitbart and Huffington Post articles in alternation

Fun!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

(Original post by TelAviv)
    Read Breitbart and Huffington Post articles in alteration

Fun!
    PRSOM :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

I did read the DM for a while. But a) Virgin Media blocked it and b) it's getting rather boring. Need somewhere a bit different to get my news from.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Thanks guys

I did read the DM for a while. But a) Virgin Media blocked it and b) it's getting rather boring. Need somewhere a bit different to get my news from.
    It is a rag of a paper, but I'm surprised they blocked it - are they allowed to do that? :gasp:

I get most of my news from the Guardian, the New York Times, the FT and Politico (.com and .eu).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    It is a rag of a paper, but I'm surprised they blocked it - are they allowed to do that? :gasp:

I get most of my news from the Guardian, the New York Times, the FT and Politico (.com and .eu).
    Odd. They blocked it ages ago and have now unblocked it. Can't remember the error that comes up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.