Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to become a clinical psychologist Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm an AS student from N.Ireland studying biology, history and psychology (as well as German outside of school). Psychology has been a genuine interest and passion of mine for almost 5 years and I'd love to become a clinical psychologist but I appreciate how competitive it is.

I want to ask if there is anything I can currently do to increase my chances of succeeding, or will I have to wait until I start uni for placements etc? At the moment I volunteer regularly with a mental health charity, have attended insight nights/open days concerning occupational therapy and clinical psychology and I may have permission to shadow a clinical psychologist at my local hospital next month.
    Any responses are appreciated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Your work experience sounds great. I would suggest focus on your A-levels and subsequently your degree, because experience won't make up for bad/mediocre grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Your work experience sounds great. I would suggest focus on your A-levels and subsequently your degree, because experience won't make up for bad/mediocre grades!
    I've started revising for my exams because I'm predicted by my teachers to get AAA and I really would rather not settle for anything less than that (although I would be happy with a B in biology because it's the most challenging subject out of the three)! Do you know if the career prospects would be different in NI when compared to the rest of the UK?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganMcAlister)
    I've started revising for my exams because I'm predicted by my teachers to get AAA and I really would rather not settle for anything less than that (although I would be happy with a B in biology because it's the most challenging subject out of the three)! Do you know if the career prospects would be different in NI when compared to the rest of the UK?
    No idea, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    the only thing i would ever say to anyone thinking of doing this is this: why clinical psychologist and not a counsellor or therapist?

You can qualify with much less debt and in a quicker time if you dont do the dclinpsy and you'd largely be working with the same client groups depending on your speciality - with the added bonus of working with clients for about 80-90% of your time. CP's probably spend 40% of their time actually providing therapy to patients

If you choose psychotherapy youd be largely using the same method as a CP too. It takes 4 years (if youre doing the intro course too) to qualify and practice as a counsellor. It takes 7+ years of study, plus intervening years whilst you wait for acceptance onto programme. Therapist/counsellor is about £6000 total cost depending on a few variables. Doctorate is between £9k and 18k per year at bsc. £9k per year of masters and the potential for the government to remove the funding for the dclinpsy by the time we all get there. Guessing that would be a similar yearly cost but even without it thats £63000 of loans! Its a very expensive route to something that you could maybe do for nearly a tenth of the cost

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.