Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, Im due to get a new laptop / portable computing device at some point this year (waiting for my vaio to completely die, albeit very slowly

I have stumbled across affinity designer, which looks like a very interesting piece of design software (I have experience using adobe programme, albeit 2007 spec) and the price of it seems a bargain vs adobe CC.

my questions are: is it worth getting for UI/UX/web design;

how does it compare to adobe CC (which is too expensive for my liking) or a free alternatives

does the windows 10 version have touch support ?
    (ideally would want to use a stylus for designing I find it easier to use vs keyboard and mouse)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Hi everyone, Im due to get a new laptop / portable computing device at some point this year (waiting for my vaio to completely die, albeit very slowly

I have stumbled across affinity designer, which looks like a very interesting piece of design software (I have experience using adobe programme, albeit 2007 spec) and the price of it seems a bargain vs adobe CC.

my questions are: is it worth getting for UI/UX/web design;

how does it compare to adobe CC (which is too expensive for my liking) or a free alternatives

does the windows 10 version have touch support ?
    (ideally would want to use a stylus for designing I find it easier to use vs keyboard and mouse)
    For UI/UX/Web Design, no it's not worth it.

For broad spectrum use, the only part of the suite which isn't worse than CC is Photo, but it's got an astronomically higher skill prequisite, and has limited relevance to the aforementioned fields.

Unless your touchscreen has a wacom digitiser built in, no support for touch.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    For UI/UX/Web Design, no it's not worth it.

For broad spectrum use, the only part of the suite which isn't worse than CC is Photo, but it's got an astronomically higher skill prequisite, and has limited relevance to the aforementioned fields.

Unless your touchscreen has a wacom digitiser built in, no support for touch.
    cool, any good tools for front end design? (preferably free software).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    cool, any good tools for front end design? (preferably free software).
    The tools used by professionals are almost always paid for, so free ones will probably be a compromise. How high level are you looking to design? A UX design might work with Invision, Sketch, Balsamiq or Axure whereas someone working more with graphics is much more likely to be using Photoshop/Illustrator in their toolkit.

Sketch is so nice...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.