Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been ridiculed for your looks? Watch

How do you respond to it when it happens?

ReputationRep:
    If someone insulted my looks, I would tell them that I had more important things to worry about, and that I felt sorry for them if that's the only thing in life that they think about.
    My thinking is that you let this person know that you don't care what they think of you, and at the same time you can show that you don't think very highly of them (because most people who would ridicule someone's looks are probably quite mean and shallow anyway).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yes, often. It doesn't happen too much mow that I'm older but when I was a kid and a teen it happened a lot. It was mainly for my teeth, hair and glasses. I used to act like it didn't bother me and I would ignore them but it would hurt and annoy me. If it happened now that I'm older, it's just tell whoever it was to **** off or laugh. I know now that those who ridicule those for something like how they look are usually a lot more insecure than the person they are ridiculing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Did get called ugly occasionally when I was in my teens, was though tbf :lol: Blossomed later on though. One that sticks in my mind though that still makes me laugh was from a couple of years ago now, because I have a chin dimple. A young girl shouted across the street "Aha, bum chin!!!!....... He's really fit though." :rofl:

5'3 20 year old male, look 15-16 lmao. Only people who ridicule are my friends, which I really don't take personally lol. I'm sure University students do think about it though when they look at me. But deep down I think about it so much, walking around, looking at girls taller than me, thinking about how life will be for me in the future, just negative thoughts, how will I ever be able to get past it etc. Man I would kill to be 5'8, forget 6ft.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I'm not that good looking anyway so it is understandable.

It's more of my height than anything else though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Yeah. I'm not that good looking anyway so it is understandable.

It's more of my height than anything else though
    Stop invoking feels .
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Alot. Mum, dad and aunts. So much fun when the comment on the way you look, what you wear and start pointing out all your insecurities

id like to say i brush it all off and get on with it, which i kinda do. if someone were to insult my looks i would brush it off on the surface, you know be like "bleh bleh ur mum LOL" but then in private i would kinda be like, "maybe i am ugly, maybe he was on to something"

what i've started to do is be a bit more confident and just be comfortable with my looks. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      It's funny how the guys that called me ugly in Year 7 now try to slide into my dms. :rofl:
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      How do you respond to it when it happens?
      Yeah, I was ridiculed because of the ignorance of the others. Have responded rudely in an act of rage and anger.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by saraxh)
      It's funny how the guys that called me ugly in Year 7 now try to slide into my dms. :rofl:
      Started from the bottom now we here

alot and for a long time.If they expect me to give a reaction I don't.I literally just shrug and say "How does it effect you in any way?"

ReputationRep:
        When I was in year 4/5 some girl in year 9/10 said "Wow that is one ugly kid" at me. She was just a nasty piece of work though and ended up trying to burn the school down, so I don't take it seriously.

One other time a girl said to me "hey you actually look good from this angle"...which sucked a bit

But then someone called me marriage material and it made up for all of it.

ReputationRep:
        A lot when I was bullied younger but more recently, although this is more about fashion choices, some year 7's started randomly looking and pointing at my shoes and him, being cocky, says how much did they cost? so I just said I don't know, but respect doesn't cost as much. Shut them up good and proper. I can't deal with people mocking others for fashion/appearance. It's your choice

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
        Started from the bottom now we here
        :rofl:Most people I use to know can't even recognize me because I look like a completely different person.

(Original post by Mistletoe)
          When I was in year 4/5 some girl in year 9/10 said "Wow that is one ugly kid" at me. She was just a nasty piece of work though and ended up trying to burn the school down, so I don't take it seriously.

One other time a girl said to me "hey you actually look good from this angle"...which sucked a bit

But then someone called me marriage material and it made up for all of it.
          oh :lolwut:
          • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
          Yep, happened quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
          Before I'd let it get to me. Now, I just smile and shrug because it points at their insecurities that they have to pick at my looks.
          You can tell when it's done as banter or when it's done to bring you down.
          With banter, it's give as good as you get.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by saraxh)
          :rofl:Most people I use to know can't even recognize me because I look like a completely different person.
          I don't think I look any different to when I was younger, only difference is facial hair:beard:

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2017
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.