Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

job contract help Watch

ReputationRep:
    i am a bank staff carer at a care home for the elderly.
    no where in my contract does it state anything about a probation period yet the care home managers seem to think bank staff do have probation yet the HR/head office said bank staff dont get probation.

the issue is i had to ring in as my son was sick throughout the night and i couldnt come in because of it. i rung at 12:30 to alert night staff so that i wasnt leaving it till last minute to notify them.
    i then cleared it with the manager in the morning and she seemed pissed! she said
    • its letting the residents down (they have other staff in!)
    • she wont sack me today (how gracious)
    • this will weigh up against me in probation (this is where confusion lays)
    • and she expects me in tomorrow (bank staff means not an employee of the company and i can work when i want providing they have the hours for me)

can anyone advice?

(Original post by shawtyb)
      i am a bank staff carer at a care home for the elderly.
      no where in my contract does it state anything about a probation period yet the care home managers seem to think bank staff do have probation yet the HR/head office said bank staff dont get probation.

the issue is i had to ring in as my son was sick throughout the night and i couldnt come in because of it. i rung at 12:30 to alert night staff so that i wasnt leaving it till last minute to notify them.
      i then cleared it with the manager in the morning and she seemed pissed! she said
      • its letting the residents down (they have other staff in!)
      • she wont sack me today (how gracious)
      • this will weigh up against me in probation (this is where confusion lays)
      • and she expects me in tomorrow (bank staff means not an employee of the company and i can work when i want providing they have the hours for me)

can anyone advice?
      Explain to them that your son is a human being. He has become unwell and needs you to take care of him. This care is of utmost importance. Importance which is of higher priority than your presence at work.

Your manager will then continue to berate you but just ignore it and continue as normal until you get fired. In the mean time look for alternative employment.

A cow:

ReputationRep:
      Just show her your contract which says no probation or does not mention it, or any correspondence you have had with HR which proves as such.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.