Turn on thread page Beta

PPE degree, career options? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know PPE is very useful for trying to get into politics and is one of the reasons I applied for it, however this time last year I would've never pictured myself saying this but I HATE politics. I've never really paid attention to current affairs because that's useless, it just promotes meaningless debate which only entrench your ideals so I used to read books and study history for political knowledge because we can directly evaluate its consequences and learn from it and re-evaluate our ideals.

Anyway so I still want to study PPE because I enjoy those 3 subjects and the course looks great but I no longer want to go into politics althoigh that might change... what else can you do with a degree in politics? How hard would be it to become a lawyer with a degree in PPE?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by zayn008)
    I know PPE is very useful for trying to get into politics and is one of the reasons I applied for it, however this time last year I would've never pictured myself saying this but I HATE politics. I've never really paid attention to current affairs because that's useless, it just promotes meaningless debate which only entrench your ideals so I used to read books and study history for political knowledge because we can directly evaluate its consequences and learn from it and re-evaluate our ideals.

Anyway so I want to study PPE, I no longer want to go into politics but that might change... what else can you do with a degree in politics? How hard would be it to become a lawyer with a degree in PPE?
    Honestly, you can do a lot of things with a PPE degree as long as you have internship opportunities and such. One thing that you could do is perhaps go into Investment Banking or Business after graduation. Another thing that you can do is do a conversion course for law but I think that costs money and time. You could also do research if that is something that you want to do in economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Honestly, you can do a lot of things with a PPE degree as long as you have internship opportunities and such. One thing that you could do is perhaps go into Investment Banking or Business after graduation. Another thing that you can do is do a conversion course for law but I think that costs money and time. You could also do research if that is something that you want to do in economics.
    The thing with investment banking is, if I ever did decide I wanted to run for public office or something (It's something I'd like to keep as an option), I wouldn't be the most liked person I like the idea of business or some sort of analysts worker but not for the long term. Would it be a good idea to do something like law as a postgraduate degree, I would just reapply for law next year but I really like the PPE course I've researched the contents and love it so I guess I could go into research or just try and get in the civil service
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The thing with investment banking is, if I ever did decide I wanted to run for public office or something (It's something I'd like to keep as an option), I wouldn't be the most liked person I like the idea of business or some sort of analysts worker but not for the long term. Would it be a good idea to do something like law as a postgraduate degree, I would just reapply for law next year but I really like the PPE course I've researched the contents and love it so I guess I could go into research or just try and get in the civil service
    Bolded- definitely true

Yeah maybe aim for research/civil service jobs or law postgraduate/conversion course
    or alternatively you can work in Media (Journalist), a diplomat, or a NGO manager etc...

tbh PPE is so interdisciplinary there are many things you can do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    Bolded- definitely true

Yeah maybe aim for research/civil service jobs or law postgraduate/conversion course
    or alternatively you can work in Media (Journalist), a diplomat, or a NGO manager etc...

tbh PPE is so interdisciplinary there are many things you can do
    Haha and thanks you're right.. i think I'm just gonna try and adapt a mindset of letting things fall into place, I have a rough idea of what i want to do and I dont have much control over my career right now except my university choices which I'm happy with.. the rest I'll just decide on the way. Media is something i love, i wish i was talented in the field though, I'd love to be a comedian Or some sort of editor/writer. NGO management and diplomat looks goods! Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Haha and thanks you're right.. i think I'm just gonna try and adapt a mindset of letting things fall into place, I have a rough idea of what i want to do and I dont have much control over my career right now except my university choices which I'm happy with.. the rest I'll just decide on the way. Media is something i love, i wish i was talented in the field though, I'd love to be a comedian Or some sort of editor/writer. NGO management and diplomat looks goods! Thanks
    Yep adopt a flexible mindset and open outlook! Take opportunities as they come and don't waste them.

Hahaha I wish I was a talented actor!

All those could be possible career options: I have one more for you! Working for a political think tank or running one you'll get to publish articles and do research!

No problem, I'm sure you will do great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.