Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got my prelim results - 14/20 in scottish set texts, 15/20 on the critical essay and 20/30 on close reading. That's 70%, so I'm pretty happy but I really want an A come the end of the course, I know I haven't said about my folio pieces yet, but I'm being made to do a monologue and I've chosen to do a Discursive on the negative effects of TV (but I hate it). Help me in anyway possible please.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your results they're great!

First of all, are you sure you want to do that as your discursive piece if you hate it? At the time it may seem like you just want to get your folio over and done with but if you choose something you're interested in, the discursive piece can actually be fun to write and find out about! I would make sure you try your best to get a good mark in both of your folio pieces because it will take a lot of relief off the exam, could make the difference between an A or a B.

Scottish Set Text:
    This might be just me but i found it better to answer the 10 marker question at the end because we were given the specific way of writing it and if you stick to this structure you should be able to achieve the full or near enough 10 marks! I studied Carol Anne Duffy so it might be different for you but there was many quotes that related to similar themes so i just tried to memorise a few quotes for each poem that i could use for many different questions. As long as you know what each poem is about (or whatever type of literary you're studying) then it should come back to you! I used to record myself reading the quotes and notes on them and then listen to them before bed and whilst i got ready in the morning and it would stick in my head.

Critical Essay:
    Look at example essays on the book/play/film/poem you're studying and try write these in your own words. There are common essay questions that come up so as long as you prepare for ones that have come up then you will be fine. Again with the quotes, try memorise ones that could relate to many different themes because it will reduce the amount you have to remember. If i used to get a certain quote wrong i would look at it before i got in the exam then write it (or the initials of it) in the column of the paper. Saved me having to worry about it later! Practice, practice, practice and just make sure you know your chosen literary inside out!

Close Reading:
    With the close reading there's always going to be similar questions that appear, make sure you know what each command word means and pretty much talk as much as you can. Even if you don't know thats what they're trying to convey just make your own interpretation, justify it and hope for the best. The 5 marker at the end is a lot easier than some people think, take a highlighter in, read the question, compare them and highlight then make 3 paragraphs comparing the 2!

Hope i helped Don't worry, you'll do fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinPMx)
    Well done on your results they're great!

First of all, are you sure you want to do that as your discursive piece if you hate it? At the time it may seem like you just want to get your folio over and done with but if you choose something you're interested in, the discursive piece can actually be fun to write and find out about! I would make sure you try your best to get a good mark in both of your folio pieces because it will take a lot of relief off the exam, could make the difference between an A or a B.

Scottish Set Text:
    This might be just me but i found it better to answer the 10 marker question at the end because we were given the specific way of writing it and if you stick to this structure you should be able to achieve the full or near enough 10 marks! I studied Carol Anne Duffy so it might be different for you but there was many quotes that related to similar themes so i just tried to memorise a few quotes for each poem that i could use for many different questions. As long as you know what each poem is about (or whatever type of literary you're studying) then it should come back to you! I used to record myself reading the quotes and notes on them and then listen to them before bed and whilst i got ready in the morning and it would stick in my head.

Critical Essay:
    Look at example essays on the book/play/film/poem you're studying and try write these in your own words. There are common essay questions that come up so as long as you prepare for ones that have come up then you will be fine. Again with the quotes, try memorise ones that could relate to many different themes because it will reduce the amount you have to remember. If i used to get a certain quote wrong i would look at it before i got in the exam then write it (or the initials of it) in the column of the paper. Saved me having to worry about it later! Practice, practice, practice and just make sure you know your chosen literary inside out!

Close Reading:
    With the close reading there's always going to be similar questions that appear, make sure you know what each command word means and pretty much talk as much as you can. Even if you don't know thats what they're trying to convey just make your own interpretation, justify it and hope for the best. The 5 marker at the end is a lot easier than some people think, take a highlighter in, read the question, compare them and highlight then make 3 paragraphs comparing the 2!

Hope i helped Don't worry, you'll do fab!
    Thank you so much, we were shown the structure too and we are actually doing Duffy so I'll keep that in mind. I'll definitely use those tips for close reading too. Unfortunately, I think it might be too late to start a new discursive piece as the second drafts are in already - I'll just hope for the best and try and negotiate with my teacher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.