Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do you put all of your work experience? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    You don't just write a long list your work experience placements. You pick two or three moments from your work experience and use these to show that you have the qualities expected of a doctor.

What surprised you about working in an Aged Care Home? What did it teach you about talking/communicating with older people, the realities of end of life care etc etc. If you shadowed a GP or another health professional, what was most of their time spent doing, how did they explain things to patients, work with other staff, etc etc. What volunteer work have you done - why did you do it, what do you get out of doing it, can you use this and any other things you do in your spare time to show altruism, communication skills, understanding of people from different backgrounds to your own, etc etc.

This is why you do work-experience - it isnt just ticking boxes, its about learning stuff, and reflecting on what you have seen, thought, and done. This why Unis are not interested in bits of 'I spent 2 days with a world famous brain surgeon' type showing-off and prefer 'I've volunteered every Saturday for the last 6 months at/with ... and from this I've realised ......'.

It isnt about the amount of work experience you've done - its how you utilise examples from this in your PS as hooks for showing important things about your attitudes, understandings and behaviours that matters.
    Yea man I know this, it's just I also want my other work to be acknowledged, I already have a very early stage PS draft where I only talk about 2-3 experiences, But I'd like the uni I'm applying to, to know I'm really enthusiastic about Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TracyEmu)
    What a levels are you taking and what were your gcse grades?? if you don't mind me asking

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk
    Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Not gonna lie, I'm struggling in maths xD For my gcses i got 6A* 4A and 2Bs (Spanish and Classics - Damn those subjects) But... I also had a colectomy so my school said they'll write that as a huge disadvantage when i sat my GCSEs, currently im predicted A* for all three A-levels.
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    , But I'd like the uni I'm applying to, to know I'm really enthusiastic about Medicine
    'Enthusiasm' doesn't count for much. 'Having a realistic understanding of a career in Medicine' is what they are actually looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    Anybody who has got an offer for medicine, how much work experience do you have?

I'm applying this september and currently have 4 days arranged in one hospital department and 3 days in another, and I may be able to get another 5 days if I can find the time.

This is the only hospital work experience I have, but I have others with scouting and running a school debate club and NCS and such, am I completely ****ed? Other people have so so much work experience in comparison.
    Not an offer but interviews atm. I didn't have much, just what you learnt from it. One week at GP, one day shadowing consultant, 15 months volunteering at hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    'Enthusiasm' doesn't count for much. 'Having a realistic understanding of a career in Medicine' is what they are actually looking for.
    Dude, I know what medicine entails, trust me. I was just curious to know the answer to my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    Yea man I know this, it's just I also want my other work to be acknowledged, I already have a very early stage PS draft where I only talk about 2-3 experiences, But I'd like the uni I'm applying to, to know I'm really enthusiastic about Medicine
    It's great that you've got so much, but tbh it doesn't mean that you're more "enthusiastic about medicine" or deserving of a place than someone who doesn't have a family full of doctors and would struggle to get anywhere near that amount of experience. As has been said, pick out the bits you learned most from and reflect on those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    It's great that you've got so much, but tbh it doesn't mean that you're more "enthusiastic about medicine" or deserving of a place than someone who doesn't have a family full of doctors and would struggle to get anywhere near that amount of experience. As has been said, pick out the bits you learned most from and reflect on those.
    I only said a family of doctors because someone asked, I just wanted to know the answer which I got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    Thank you! Yea, Manchester looks amazing. Really looking forward to uni.
    Would the reference include work placement managers e.g doctors?

Hi guys, I have applied to manchester, Leicester, Hull-York and Liverpool and have had interviews at all of them. I have received an offer from Hull-York and waiting for the rest to get back as they haven't finished their interview process. For Manchester i suggest you get long term experience in a caring role. BTW manchester require to fill out an additional non academic form which is 4400 characters (more than you personal statement) and one section asks you about a caring role and how long you've done it. Its a really rewarding career so i can see why it is so competitive. Good luck in your future guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Not gonna lie, I'm struggling in maths xD For my gcses i got 6A* 4A and 2Bs (Spanish and Classics - Damn those subjects) But... I also had a colectomy so my school said they'll write that as a huge disadvantage when i sat my GCSEs, currently im predicted A* for all three A-levels.
    What about you?
    I'm doing pretty well in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I'm predicted A*A*A*. I got 7A*,2A, 2B,(4A* and 3 distinction*).

Do you think that university will consider and accept btecs as equivalent to gcses? Or do you think that I'm at a disadvantage as my school gave us a lot of Breckenridge subjects to study?? I have been worried and thinking about this a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing pretty well in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and I'm predicted A*A*A*. I got 7A*,2A, 2B,(4A* and 3 distinction*).

Do you think that university will consider and accept btecs as equivalent to gcses? Or do you think that I'm at a disadvantage as my school gave us a lot of BTEC subjects to study?? I have been worried and thinking about this a lot.

*BTEC subjects

ReputationRep:

Do you think that university will consider and accept btecs as equivalent to gcses? Or do you think that I'm at a disadvantage as my school gave us a lot of Btec subjects to study?? I have been worried and thinking about this a lot.

ReputationRep:

Do you think that university will consider and accept btecs as equivalent to gcses? Or do you think that I'm at a disadvantage as my school gave us a lot of Breckenridge subjects to study?? I have been worried and thinking about this a lot.

I'm assuming you got those first set of results in GCSEs? If so they are amazing as for btec, if you pass a unis GCSEs requirements (one which isn't GCSEs heavy) then they won't even look again. A levels and quality with experience are what we need to be aiming for right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Sikh Doctor)
    Hi guys, I have applied to manchester, Leicester, Hull-York and Liverpool and have had interviews at all of them. I have received an offer from Hull-York and waiting for the rest to get back as they haven't finished their interview process. For Manchester i suggest you get long term experience in a caring role. BTW manchester require to fill out an additional non academic form which is 4400 characters (more than you personal statement) and one section asks you about a caring role and how long you've done it. Its a really rewarding career so i can see why it is so competitive. Good luck in your future guys
    Thanks for the input man, could I just ask, for the non academic statement of Manchester are they asking for work experience or extra curricular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    I'm assuming you got those first set of results in GCSEs? If so they are amazing as for btec, if you pass a unis GCSEs requirements (one which isn't GCSEs heavy) then they won't even look again. A levels and quality with experience are what we need to be aiming for right now
    Thanks for that. What univeristies would you say that are not gcse heavy?? Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    Thanks for the input man, could I just ask, for the non academic statement of Manchester are they asking for work experience or extra curricular?
    Theres 4 sections (1100 characters each):
    - experience in a caring role (they ask when you started and when you intend on stopping) btw u cant put any shadowing here
    - a situation where you have shown teamwork (DofE, football clubs are good for this)
    - your hobbies and interests (can be extracurricular but say why you enjoy them)
    - Motivation for medicine - why you want to do medicine ( you can put shadowing in this section)

ReputationRep:
    - experience in a caring role (they ask when you started and when you intend on stopping) btw u cant put any shadowing here
    - a situation where you have shown teamwork (DofE, football clubs are good for this)
    - your hobbies and interests (can be extracurricular but say why you enjoy them)
    - Motivation for medicine - why you want to do medicine ( you can put shadowing in this section)
    That's basically another personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. What univeristies would you say that are not gcse heavy?? Any ideas?

Aberdeen, if im not mistaken, which is why it's my first choice. Also newcastle I'm pretty sure, definitely Sheffield. There's a webpage which shows them all I'll get it for you and show you

ReputationRep:
    That's great thanks man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by escg)
    Aberdeen, if im not mistaken, which is why it's my first choice. Also newcastle I'm pretty sure, definitely Sheffield. There's a webpage which shows them all I'll get it for you and show you
    Oh thank you and please do show me

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Not an offer but interviews atm. I didn't have much, just what you learnt from it. One week at GP, one day shadowing consultant, 15 months volunteering at hospital
    15 months!!! That's so much!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.