Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friends who can't take debating Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a relatively easy person, but one thing I really have a passion for is debating. My friend and I were just chatting about current affairs and I ended up having an opinion opposite to hers. Interested, I tried to turn it into a discussion, to try and make her see the other side of the coin and challenge both of our opinions. However, she got a bit angry and said that I "always go against her opinion".

I don't know I just fancy ranting a bit because I had listened to her points but when it came to me she just jumped down my throat, mainly because my opinion wasn't the popular opinion. This happens constantly and I feel like I'm not allowed to have an opinion that's not mutual to hers...

Does anyone else have friends like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu.dying)
    I'm a relatively easy person, but one thing I really have a passion for is debating. My friend and I were just chatting about current affairs and I ended up having an opinion opposite to hers. Interested, I tried to turn it into a discussion, to try and make her see the other side of the coin and challenge both of our opinions. However, she got a bit angry and said that I "always go against her opinion".

I don't know I just fancy ranting a bit because I had listened to her points but when it came to me she just jumped down my throat, mainly because my opinion wasn't the popular opinion. This happens constantly and I feel like I'm not allowed to have an opinion that's not mutual to hers...

what were you debating about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    what were you debating about
    Pineapple on pizza ofc

ReputationRep:

I do. The simple answer is to avoid debate, as they clearly don't appreciate the objective of a debate, nor want a debate in the first place, it seems. My views are pretty controversial (I'm right-wing, libertarian, and an individualist), and people frequently say "you always disagree with things", "can't you just agree for once", etc. I frequently get strawmanned in debates with friends too, thus I typically avoid them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i think all of us at least once come upon these type of friends, not implying they are the bad type of friends to have. I have a true compassion when it comes to debating, i'm the type of person not afraid to speak my mind, i've had disagreements with my friends and we, majority of the time have opposite opinions to each others but when a 'healthy conversation' i like to call it starts to go to the 'red zone' aka where the arguing happens zone i tell them in a calm manner i respect your opinion and we may have opposing opinions some times but we shouldn't let our friendship get ruined over some disagreement. After we usually apologise to each other

Sorry my experience wasn't more dramatic and entertaining to read.

ReputationRep:
    Yep!If jumps down your throat tell her how you feel.It is normal.
    BTW your hot
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you can't debate and disagree with friends then is your friendship even strong enough lol. Personally, I have friends with whom I strongly disagree, in regards to their political views - but I tolerate it. And when it comes up we discuss it a bit, then agree to move on. Sometimes I have got into arguments but they are quickly resolved. It just makes your friendship more fun tbh; would be mundane if you surrounded yourself with yes-men.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah I understand. Once, for example, we were in a groupchat talking about the decision to bomb Syria. Me and a few other lads supported the decision, but then these group who were against it said they were 'disappointed' with our opinions and that our opinion shouldn't matter because it's awful.

Like, WTF.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahima1)
    BTW your hot
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000225/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    If you can't debate and disagree with friends then is your friendship even strong enough lol. Personally, I have friends with whom I strongly disagree, in regards to their political views - but I tolerate it. And when it comes up we discuss it a bit, then agree to move on. Sometimes I have got into arguments but they are quickly resolved. It just makes your friendship more fun tbh; would be mundane if you surrounded yourself with yes-men.
    Yes! Believe me, I don't want her to agree with me at all, I'd just like for her to not get in a bad mood whenever I happen to disagree with her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Google22)
    Lol yeah I understand. Once, for example, we were in a groupchat talking about the decision to bomb Syria. Me and a few other lads supported the decision, but then these group who were against it said they were 'disappointed' with our opinions and that our opinion shouldn't matter because it's awful.

Like, WTF.
    Ugh that annoys me especially! For example, my friend is extremely against homosexuality and feels it's fine to use derogatory remarks around me but gets really pissy when I mention that immigration control is a good thing because it's "discrimination". Like okay lol totally not what you were doing...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I was about to link the same thing

ReputationRep:
    I can totally relate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ugh that annoys me especially! For example, my friend is extremely against homosexuality and feels it's fine to use derogatory remarks around me but gets really pissy when I mention that immigration control is a good thing because it's "discrimination". Like okay lol totally not what you were doing...
    Damn your friend sounds like a ***** no offence. Are you homosexual, cause then that's even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Damn your friend sounds like a ***** no offence. Are you homosexual, cause then that's even worse.
    I am indeed, but luckily I'm not easily offended. I don't really like any of my friends at school but I don't really have any other choice for now :s

ReputationRep:
    I am indeed, but luckily I'm not easily offended. I don't really like any of my friends at school but I don't really have any other choice for now :s
    Why not try find new some new people to hang with? Or are most people in your school repulsive-ish?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not try find new some new people to hang with? Or are most people in your school repulsive-ish?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The latter!

ReputationRep:
    The latter!
    Looks like you should've changed college when you had the chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you should've changed college when you had the chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm actually 16! I'm prepping for GCSEs and luckily staying on for sixth form (which my friends aren't!) Hopefully with the other students thrown in the mix I can make some good friends!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Nope; but my Mum can't. :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.