Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Proton nmr spectrums of 3,4-dimethylheptane and methylcyclohexane? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I thought that 3,4-Dimethylheptane would have 6 hydrogen environments, but on the answer sheet I have, it says there are 9 signals?

So are ''signals'' not hydrogen environments, or does this molecule just have 9 environments? And if it is this many environments, can someone please explain why :3

There's the same problem for methylcyclohexane. I thought it would have 4 signals, but the answer says 5 signals?

Thank you :3

ReputationRep:
    CH31 - CH22 - CH3 - (CH34) - CH5 - (CH36) - CH27 - CH28 - CH39

Each H is in a different environment to each of the others. Nine it total - each numbered.

Which do you think are in the same as each other?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tessa Moltres)

There's the same problem for methylcyclohexane. I thought it would have 4 signals, but the answer says 5 signals?

Thank you :3
    Methyl = 3 protons in environment 1
    Hydrogen on the ring where the methyl is attached = 1 proton in environment 2

Then using the symmetry of the ring:
    position 2 = position 6 - environment 3
    position 3 = position 5 - environment 4
    position 4 is unique - environment 5

each of these ring positions has two equivalent protons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    CH31 - CH22 - CH3 - (CH34) - CH5 - (CH36) - CH27 - CH28 - CH39

Each H is in a different environment to each of the others. Nine it total - each numbered.

Which do you think are in the same as each other?
    The thing that's confusing me is that the CH31 and CH39 groups are both attached to CH2 groups, so they have the same splitting pattern, and they're in the same range for chemical shift...

And the CH34 and CH36 groups are both attached to a CH group, and have the same splitting pattern...so they feel like they should be the same environment still!!

H NMR is very confusing XD

Is there something I'm missing for telling if hydrogens are in the same environment?? :3 I know that they should have the same chemical shift range and have the same splitting pattern..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Methyl = 3 protons in environment 1
    Hydrogen on the ring where the methyl is attached = 1 proton in environment 2

Then using the symmetry of the ring:
    position 2 = position 6 - environment 3
    position 3 = position 5 - environment 4
    position 4 is unique - environment 5

each of these ring positions has two equivalent protons.
    OHHHh so since the ring is no longer symmetrical,, the hydrogens on the carbon opposite the methyl group have their own environment also...that makes sense ^-^ though it does still confuse me that it's the same group as the other CH2s and has the same splitting pattern as their adjacent CH2s >.< but I think I get it :3 is it because they're different distances from the methyl group?? Or is that wrong XDD

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both so much for your help by the way :3
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tessa Moltres)
    OHHHh so since the ring is no longer symmetrical,, the hydrogens on the carbon opposite the methyl group have their own environment also...that makes sense ^-^ though it does still confuse me that it's the same group as the other CH2s and has the same splitting pattern as their adjacent CH2s >.< but I think I get it :3 is it because they're different distances from the methyl group?? Or is that wrong XDD
    If you put the methyl group at the top of the hexagon then it has vertical reflective symmetry in the y axis, but no symmetry in the x axis.

Hence 2 & 6 positions are the same and 3 & 5 are the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.