Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I'm not really sure if anyone uses this site anymore as most of the replies are from a few years ago. if anyone still use it could you please help me with my controlled assessment GCSE. I need to know how various techniques create tension. for example ellipsis and simile. if you could please just comment some techniques and how they create tension it would be a great help. x

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in both English' in GCSE so I was pretty proud of my essays!^~^
    I guess it by the use of some of the characters too, like Curley, and their language (use of derogative towards particular characters, like Candy and Crook; because they're 'different').

Candy's dog get shot!= loads of tension!
    "This scene is foreshadowed at the start of this chapter when Carlson wants to shoot the dog because he is "all stiff with rheumatism". Carlson fails at this point but we realise that the dog will die soon. The death of the dog is also foreshadowed when Lennie gets his new pup. This makes us realise that the older dog will be ‘traded’ for the younger pup. There is also contrast in the dog’s owners. Candy is old and about to lose his dog whereas Lennie is young and has just received a new pup. The audience are manipulated to think that the worse will happen and from that point tension is built as we wait for the inevitable. "
    Steinbeck uses Silence to great effect in this scene along with the feeling of foreboding.
    https://revisionforni.files.wordpres...04/tension.pdf This is the best resource I found!!
    Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.