Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I arrive home I feel really tired. How do I stop this?

ReputationRep:
    Get over yourself and drink coffee. We're all tired.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from this too

ReputationRep:
    Caffeine and motivation to do anything else but participate in idle activities like watching TV or going on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Eat nuts and oats.

Sleep more.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Steve5427)
    It isnt a case of getting over yourself, so ignore that comment.

Try and identify why you are tired.

It could just be a hard days work.
    Consider whether you are getting enough, excercise, sleep and the right nutrition. All of those can give you a greater resilience to fatigue and help you generally feel like you have more energy.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/tiredness...d-fatigue.aspx

ReputationRep:
    make sure you're eating a decent lunch so you don't have a sugar crash as you get home

everyone's body clock has peaks and troughs, so it's pretty normal to have an energy dip in the afternoon/evening, the best thing to do is get some exercise or something to wake yourself back up - if you sit down and let yourself crash it's hard to pull it back and get active again

ReputationRep:
    I was hopelessly tired all the time and my bloods came back with horrifically low iron levels. I've been taking iron tablets for a couple of months and its been so much better, I'm not tired at all ignore the comment about getting over yourself, if I had done that I'd be very sick by now

If you have persistent fatigue, pay a visit to your GP and get checked

ReputationRep:
    We're all suffering from this chronic disease.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you do in a day, how much sleep you get, how good your diet is and things.
    Some level of tiredness is unavoidable and at the end of a day of work/ activity most people will be starting to feel tired. If it's something that causes you problems though I suggest you do look into it more. It may even be worth seeing a doctor to check it's not anything like a vitamin deficiency.
    I'll list a few things to look into, but you do need to tailor what you do around your situation (so "more sleep" wouldn't really apply to you if you're already sleeping more than average etc). Anyway, I suggest you look into:

Diet- are you eating and drinking enough and are you getting all the main components you need (protein, vitamins, calcium etc) You can look up what is important for a healthy diet online, or ask for advice at a pharmacy.

Sleep- Are you sleeping enough and getting good quality sleep? Are you sleeping more than average or waking up feeling un-rested? If you don't think you're getting enough, or good enough sleep you can look into advice online for adapting sleep patterns and improving sleep quality. If you sleep a lot already or wake up feeling tired already it could suggest that there is something underlying which means you do not get enough energy to start with. This would be an indicator that you should see a doctor so they can test for vitamin deficiencies and the like.

Activity- How much are you doing in a day? If it's a lot you may need to look into ways you can reduce it. This does not have to mean physical activity and can also include active thinking.

Mental state- could you be stressed or depressed? If you show any signs of stress, anxiet, depression etc this is worth looking into. Mh conditions can make you tired because your brain is working overtime trying to manage itself and they can also be related to messed up hormone levels and things, which means your brain doesn't get enough fuel.

Exercise- Although heavy exercise will make you worn out, small amounts of regular exercise like walking places, having a swim or doing some yoga encourage your body to produce things and move blood around better. This help you feel energised. Fresh air is also important and will often come with exercise, but if you spend a lot of time inside, like if you work from home, try to keep a window open for airflow or to pop outside for a while each day. If you are exercising, it's important to fuel up before and top yourself up after. For light exercise this is easy- a banana before, water throughout and a smoothie or dinner after would work-, but if you are a bit of n exercise nut, you may need to look into ways of getting enough into you- like protein shakes. If you don't fuel up you'll be burning all your day's energy when you exercise and won't have any left.

Little boosts- well timed boosts, like caffine or a banana can help you stay energised all day or in particularly tiring situations, but you should not be relying on them constantly. Caffine is also a bit of a wild card, for some people a coffe in the morning is a handy boost, but for others it can do more harm than good due to withdrawal like reactions or even it directly making them tired. Work out what the best boost is for you.

I hope that covers at least most of the bases and gives you a starting point for looking into things yourself. Bare in mind that not everybody is built the same, so you will need to use your head a bit and not just blindly follow any advice, cos although it could work really well for some people, it may not be the right advice for you. Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I go through phases of this. (not helped by insomnia)

I agree with a lot of what's been said - for me, it can be a lack of exercise, (although I do try to go for a walk most days - even if it's just a walk to the shop) not enough food or a poor night's sleep.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.