Turn on thread page Beta

How tough is it to land a decent part time job in your 1st year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am an international student and the place where I come from does not offer too many opportunities in terms of work experiences or part-time jobs. Mainly because over here nobody takes you seriously unless you are a student in uni and this sucks. While I had a 3 month-long unpaid internship at a not-for-profit organisation sometime at the end of 2014, have a decent line-up of volunteering activities from school and also contributed few articles at a local online magazine, I am worried that they are not the most recent records and hence may not hold much weight on my CV.

I am really interested in being a student ambassador or a private tutor for younger kids. Tutoring can be helpful for me academically while being a student ambassador offers me a lot of flexibility. So can anyone tell me how difficult it is to get my hands on any of these part-time positions with no experience/not-so-recent experience?

P.S. I am great with Word, Excel and Powerpoint so if any of you know about certain part-time job sectors that specifically ask for these skills, do drop in some suggestions!
    Thanks in advance.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.