Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is an employer or old teacher better?

im guessing employer as more recent professional skills? but they can't comment on your academic ability though?

thankss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)

im guessing employer as more recent professional skills? but they can't comment on your academic ability though?

thankss
    If you're applying to a top Uni they will specify academic references - preferably from an undergrad lecturer

ReputationRep:

thankss
    Add the 2 of them. That way a potential place can decide which is better for them.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

thankss
    (Original post by Snapchat HELP!)
    Add the 2 of them. That way a potential place can decide which is better for them.
    Don't give references until you are specifically asked. That way you remain in control of offering the most relevant person. It's not up to the employer to choose, you keep control and offer the best referee for the circumstances.

So what does the employer/organisation want to know about you, and which person is likely to give the most convincing answer to that? Employer if it;s an employment post, teacher if it's an academic post - but it might be more complex than that.

ReputationRep:
    apologies should have provided a tad more info in my original post.
    it is for a phd application
    i have done one university referees - dissertation supervisor- but need one more. ( do not have any tutors or lectures i havent asked questions to so wont know who i am )
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    apologies should have provided a tad more info in my original post.
    it is for a phd application
    i have done two university referees but need one more.
    I'd go with employer, if by teacher you mean school teacher, and you've already used two undergrad/grad lecturers. However, if the employer is a bar manager or shop owner and the teacher is the department head of a large school where you are still the most successful A level candidate and prize winner in the schools history, I'd go with the teacher. Basically, go with the person who is going to give you, however, marginally, the best reference for your PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    I'd go with employer, if by teacher you mean school teacher, and you've already used two undergrad/grad lecturers. However, if the employer is a bar manager or shop owner and the teacher is the department head of a large school where you are still the most successful A level candidate and prize winner in the schools history, I'd go with the teacher. Basically, go with the person who is going to give you, however, marginally, the best reference for your PhD.
    i think i'd get a better reference of my school, out of school for 5 years however, is that still ok or?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    i think i'd get a better reference of my school, out of school for 5 years however, is that still ok or?
    They'll say if it isn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.