Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can Asperger syndrome be cured? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Officially there is no cure for Asperger syndrome although instances of people who have cured themselves are known to exist. Those who have cured themselves usually do so around the age of 18 to 22. I don't know of any instances above the age of 25.

I have met a couple of these people. They come across as clearly neurotypical but they have documentary proof that they once had Asperger syndrome. Unfortunately I have not met them whilst they were younger to get an idea of what they were like back then.

What is interesting is that neither of them were high academic achievers at school or had particularly good GCSE grades.

It makes me wonder whether Asperger syndrome is genetic or caused by some other factor which is reversible.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    No it's not cureable. If you've "cured" yourself of it, you didn't have it in the first place. You do learn coping strategies.

ReputationRep:
    I have documentary evidence that they had Asperger syndrome...

Are you saying that Asperger syndrome was misdiagnosed (or there has even been an overdiagnosis of the condition on a significant scale) over minor issues like anxiety or being a bit introverted in reception class?

I'm interested in knowing if anybody else here has cured themselves of Asperger syndrome.

I'm also interested in knowing how parent's attitudes to school impact on children with Asperger syndrome. For example: Parent A worries about GCSE grades, wants their kid to aim high, and gets uptight over behaviour at school. Parent B doesn't worry about GCSE grades of if their kid fails and couldn't give a damn to bad behaviour at school.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    Officially there is no cure for Asperger syndrome although instances of people who have cured themselves are known to exist. Those who have cured themselves usually do so around the age of 18 to 22. I don't know of any instances above the age of 25.

I have met a couple of these people. They come across as clearly neurotypical but they have documentary proof that they once had Asperger syndrome. Unfortunately I have not met them whilst they were younger to get an idea of what they were like back then.

What is interesting is that neither of them were high academic achievers at school or had particularly good GCSE grades.

It makes me wonder whether Asperger syndrome is genetic or caused by some other factor which is reversible.
    Aspergers is a lifelong condition caused by being build differently to "normal" people. It cannot be cured. It has always and will always be part of them.
    You can however learn coping mechanisms and ways to make it affect you less. So somebody who had aspergers as a kid could appear not to as an adult, but only because they have learned ways to manage it.

I'm sure there are also condition which could appear to be aspergers and lead to a wrong diagnosis. If that is the case and those conditions are cured or grown out of it could lead to the impression that their aspergers was cured.

I would imagine that the reason a lot of people are "cured" actually just learned how to manage and hide it better. This can just come with age (like how most adults don't throw tantrums when they don't get the last lolly) so it is possible that even they could believe that they were "cured".

I believe things like stress can also exacerbate things like aspergers so it's possible that a "severe" case would become far more mild if stress was relieved. A milder case could then easily appear to be a cure. This could come from the increased independence and control that tends to come with adulthood. That seems like a bit of a long shot to me, but it could at least have some impact.

So in short, aspergers cannot be cured, but could appear to be for a variety of reasons.
    I am personally open to the idea however that there is a condition commonly confused with aspergers which either can be cured or naturally goes away with age.

Do you mind me asking what evidence you have btw? This is somewhat interesting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You don't cure it, you cope with it. I have a relatively mild case of it though when I was a child I was very odd as I made noises etc. In my teen years and currently it manifested in social issues and much greater stress in situations leading up to something large for me (I just had a scholarship interview day and I had a very high amount of stress leading up to it but during it I was a lot less stressful). It was far worse in the past as I truly hated presentations at year 7 and I would make myself ill to avoid these though in college level it was far more tolerable though my extreme stress appeared due to lack of motivation in my EPQ research initially which again turned out perfectly fine and I was further ahead than others. As you can see I've been able to cope with it better since I've gone from over stress in general class work to full qualifications and now to just work opportunity. Again those people haven't cured it in themselves, they're just coping with it better.

ReputationRep:
    If that was possible TSR would not exist.

Hi, I have Asperger's syndrome. The first thing I was told was that there is no cure. The only thing you can do is adapt. Learn how to communicate with others properly, learn how to avoid meltdowns etc. I have improved drastically from when I was initially diagnosed, but I still show many signs, though to those around me many are clueless unless I have told them because I mask it. Often unless you see all the signs at once it is easily to say it is something else such as being shy, so I generally get away with it. I generally try and hide any symptoms I get. For example:
    I hate certain sounds, and I come across them every day. Some days I can kind of cope, other days I feel violent. I don't tell anyone really and ask them to stop- because honestly that would come across as weird. So I kind of just try and keep it inside until I get home where I let out the anger or whatever.

There was an interesting article I read a couple of years ago about over-diagnosis, where doctors were diagnosing people with Asperger's syndrome, but it was really just other conditions. Other conditions can cross over with Asperger's such as anxiety and depression, so sometimes people seem like they have it when they don't. (What is difficult is the fact people with Asperger's have an increased risk of depression/ anxiety).

I am never going to get rid of my Asperger's, but I can learn to deal with it. It affects me on a daily basis, but it isn't something I constantly think about. Sometimes it brings me down, but I can't do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Weed is scientifically proven to cure Asperger Syndrome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    No it's not cureable. If you've "cured" yourself of it, you didn't have it in the first place. You do learn coping strategies.
    Do you sometimes wish it was curable?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyJesus)
    Weed is scientifically proven to cure Asperger Syndrome.
    Do you mean cure or treat? Also, either way it's pretty cool so could you post what evidence you have if you can find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Aspergers is a lifelong condition caused by being build differently to "normal" people. It cannot be cured. It has always and will always be part of them.
    Have you got any scientific proof and evidence of this? From what I know the cause of Asperger syndrome is unclear.

I don't believe everything that the NAS or an NHS doctor says about Asperger syndrome as being correct and true.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean cure or treat? Also, either way it's pretty cool so could you post what evidence you have if you can find it?
    It's a troll

ReputationRep:
    It can be grown out of, or worked around, not cured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    grown out of,
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    ???
    As in people who have it as children can learn to cope with it as part of growing up.

ReputationRep:
    depends what you mean by curable if you mean overcome it to such an extent that it no longer inhibits you and no one would assume you were then yes absolutely it can be cured.

Autism is not a disease it is a genetic character trait that can in the wrong circumstances become a serious disability. given the right circumstances their would be no noticeable disability. You would however always be genetically Autistic. There is nothing wrong with this many of the worlds greatest genius were autistic.

This is something I could write an entire book on but unfortunately I am too pressed for time to be able to commit to explaining this in significant depth at the moment to much study commitments.

ReputationRep:
    As in people who have it as children can learn to cope with it as part of growing up.
    Ahhh right I see!

ReputationRep:
    It can be grown out of
    That means to cure oneself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran90)
    Have you got any scientific proof and evidence of this? From what I know the cause of Asperger syndrome is unclear.

I don't believe everything that the NAS or an NHS doctor says about Asperger syndrome as being correct and true.
    Any source you read will tell you the same. There's no cure for it. It's lifelong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are also condition which could appear to be aspergers and lead to a wrong diagnosis. If that is the case and those conditions are cured or grown out of it could lead to the impression that their aspergers was cured.
    This is interesting. Are you saying that there is a psychological condition / pervasive developmental disorder that is yet to be discovered?

(Original post by Luke7456)
    Autism is not a disease it is a genetic character trait that can in the wrong circumstances become a serious disability. given the right circumstances their would be no noticeable disability. You would however always be genetically Autistic. There is nothing wrong with this many of the worlds greatest genius were autistic.
    Is there any concrete proof that Asperger syndrome is caused by genetics? From what I have seen Asperger syndrome does not run in families and appears to strike almost randomly, so if it's genetic then it's either a very recessive gene or a mutation rather than a hereditary gene.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Any source you read will tell you the same. There's no cure for it. It's lifelong.
    Articles about Asperger syndrome are often copied from other articles about Asperger syndrome.

Medicine is an exact science but psychology is not an exact science. Anything written by psychologists, or other social science types, do not consider underlying medical causes of a particular condition or trait in detail.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.