Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, thought I'd give this a go to try and motivate me aha, I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Computing and German at AS level! Hoping to do a Maths with MFL/German degree at UCL or St Andrews. Here are my grades and stuff:

GCSEs: 4A* 5A 1B
    AS predicted: AAAB
    AS aspirations: AAA (will probably drop a subject before exams lol)
    A2 aspirations: A*A*A

In my recent mocks I got:
    Maths: A
    C1 B (1 mark off an A lolll, i just got cocky about it tbh) S1 A (only dropped 4 marks!)
    Further Maths: B
    FP1 B M1 B (both only a few marks off As)
    Computing: A (the grade boundary was so low tho)
    German: D (I was happy enough with this)
    RWL: 42% Writing: 60% Speaking: 65%

Although it sounds stupid as I got an A I am currently considering dropping computing as I don't really enjoy it and would like more time to focus on German and Maths, will probably drop it in the next few weeks

I'm feeling pretty confident after my mocks, I was not in a good mental state at all when I did them and still managed to do pretty well so now time to start working towards the real things!

ReputationRep:
    PLease do not drop Computing, just see it through. Don't come all this way and not finish. The AS would still be worth something and it is nice to know you have an AS in the bag. Computing (not just ICT) is becoming as essential as Maths and English and I know jobwise, employers like to see it. None of the jobs I've been for are computer-focused, just related. But they like to know that I am used to it and can grasp programs quickly!

I think you're doing well and mocks are a great indicator of how you're performing but they're also a great learning tool. I've never took a mock, got a certain grade and ever got lower on that grade on later mocks and real tests.

I think you will do just fine, just stay focused. Sleep and eat/drink well!

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Okay it's friday night so thought I'd give a little update...
    I had parents evening on wednesday, went really well though it was a little weird only seeing 3 teachers after having to see about 10 for gcse.
    My work ethic has slipped a bit towards the end of this week, though I've managed to keep up with duolingo to help with German and also made some adjectival endings flash cards to try and finally learn them.
    Tomorrow I have a maths club run by the Royal Institute and then I'm going to a screening of the new german film Toni Erdmann at the BFI which should be fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'm back to school tomorrow so I thought I'd give another update!

I haven't done as much work as I should have this half term, a lot of it's been spent doing nothing (though tbh my mental state has been pretty bad lately so perhaps it was good to have a rest) I have managed to do most of my homework though, and started on some maths and further maths past papers. I've found a system I really like for past papers, I do them all in a notebook and have colour coded each module! I love colour coding in maths, especially with further maths meaning I have 6 modules to do, all my exercise books are labeled with different tape matching the textbooks and I mark in the same colour pen as the tape. I've essentially done the same in my past paper notebook, I mark the beginning of each past paper with the corresponding tape and mark in the same colour. I really like it when I finish a past paper I mark it, making notes about the mark scheme and giving myself next steps at the end. I've done two C1 Gold papers and two FP1 silver papers, I've managed to get all As so far!

I've put quite a lot of work into German this half term. I found a memrise course which has all the vocab from my textbook (its like 900 words) and it was like the best thing ever. I've been moving from tiny cards to quizlet and having to make my own courses and it was all getting a bit messy but now I can practise all my vocab in one place! I also forgot how good memrise is. I've learnt about 200 words over this week, mainly focusing on die digitale Welt as I have a vocab test on that tomorrow.

Yeah I've done nothing for computing.... umm....

I'm not really looking forward to going back to school, mentally I'm in a bad place and I really don't look forward to it as much as i did before christmas which makes me really sad. That being said I do have some exciting things to look forward to, there's a maths trip and more excitingly a trip to cern in march! I'm just going to force myself to work this half term and not let myself fall behind.

Anyway I have some german homework to do which is err 2 weeks late :erm: I've been trying to do it all day but I just don't even know what to say in english let alone german... Ah well, best get to it!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while! I've been quite busy this half term, last week i was in Geneva with school for a CERN trip that was really fun! I ended up dropping computing as soon as i got back to school after the half term, and i definitely think it was the right choice. I now have no lessons on Mondays and Fridays which is a godsend cos I can get so much work done! I've now completely finished the further maths course so can start going through full past papers of that, for normal maths we just have a few more chapters of C2 to finish and in german we're onto the last 2 chapters of the book.

My first real exam is my german speaking on april 27th, I'm slightly nervous cos we are a bit behind on the course but I'm currently focusing on prepping for the chapters we have covered. Luckily I have the two week easter break between now and the exam so I can spend lots of time revising for it.

I have more mocks the week after next, come to think of it I'm not feeling very prepared... I think FP1 will be fine but C2 M1 and S1 definitely need a recap. German should be okay but I'm a bit wary of the essay as I haven't done Goodbye Lenin in a while as we've been focusing on the themes in class, I may have to rewatch it at some point this week and also recap the vocab.

I have sort of started revising for the real exams, I've done a few maths past papers and have been using memrise a lot to learn all the german vocab. I'm trying to focus more on C1 C2 FP1 and german as those are the exams before the may half term, and I reckon I can revise S1 M1 and D1 over that half term, but that does mean I'm slightly screwed for S1 and M1 mocks as I've been neglecting them.

So yeah, there's a general update, it's just made me realise how much work I need to do. Better get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasminglynne)
    My first real exam is my german speaking on april 27th, I'm slightly nervous cos we are a bit behind on the course but I'm currently focusing on prepping for the chapters we have covered. Luckily I have the two week easter break between now and the exam so I can spend lots of time revising for it.

I have more mocks the week after next, come to think of it I'm not feeling very prepared... I think FP1 will be fine but C2 M1 and S1 definitely need a recap. German should be okay but I'm a bit wary of the essay as I haven't done Goodbye Lenin in a while as we've been focusing on the themes in class, I may have to rewatch it at some point this week and also recap the vocab.

I have sort of started revising for the real exams, I've done a few maths past papers and have been using memrise a lot to learn all the german vocab. I'm trying to focus more on C1 C2 FP1 and german as those are the exams before the may half term, and I reckon I can revise S1 M1 and D1 over that half term, but that does mean I'm slightly screwed for S1 and M1 mocks as I've been neglecting them.

So yeah, there's a general update, it's just made me realise how much work I need to do. Better get on with it.
    Same here! The upcoming exams have left me feeling nervous enough to start procrastinating again. Wishing you luck on the subjects you're doing, and hopefully, let's meet again later when we've gotten the grades we worked hard for! Crack on with revision, yeah? ^-^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.