Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go into the field of medicine but i'm not that good at Chemistry. How hard is it at A-Level for someone who is likely to get a B/A grade at GCSE? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    If you're really determined to go into medicine then you'll be able to push through it.
    But it's always best to do subjects you love in A-level, you're going to have to study detail over detail in each subject, and so you really have to commit to it.
    Some sixth forms/colleges allow you to take a subject for around 2 weeks, just as a tester...and if you don't like the subject you can change to another one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by check.mate)
    If you're really determined to go into medicine then you'll be able to push through it.
    But it's always best to do subjects you love in A-level, you're going to have to study detail over detail in each subject, and so you really have to commit to it.
    Some sixth forms/colleges allow you to take a subject for around 2 weeks, just as a tester...and if you don't like the subject you can change to another one.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeTB1234)
    I would like to go into the field of medicine but I'm not that good at Chemistry. How hard is it at A-Level for someone who is likely to get a B/A grade at GCSE? Thanks!!
    I wanted to do medicine as well so did chemistry. I got and A* at GCSE, however, i got a U and AS so was forced to drop it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pugglet)
    I wanted to do medicine as well so did chemistry. I got and A* at GCSE, however, I got a U and AS so was forced to drop it.
    OK, thanks, I have decided to not take it as I do not feel I will do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright, like anything though it depends on the person.

ReputationRep:
    It is really hard, but you need it if you want to go into medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK, thanks, I have decided to not take it as I do not feel I will do well in it.
    That is a snap decision, I got an A in Chemistry GCSE, and now I'm predicted an A for A levels since my AS was 2 marks off an A. Other people in my school, who got A*'s fell down to E's, so really it can go either way. I've applied for medicine by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuhammadAS)
    That is a snap decision, I got an A in Chemistry GCSE, and now I'm predicted an A for A levels since my AS was 2 marks off an A. Other people in my school, who got A*'s fell down to E's, so really it can go either way. I've applied for medicine by the way.
    What do you find hardest in the A-Level course?

ReputationRep:
    you have no ambition or any determination

ReputationRep:
    i got an A* at gcse, its pretty tough bu not impossible it just requires constant effort

ReputationRep:
    It's reasonably difficult, some parts I find boring which makes it more difficult. I got an A* at GCSE and to be honest, what I have covered in AS level so far is basically GCSE chemistry unit 3 knowledge in more detail- not too many things are completely new (but there are some new topics). So if you're willing to work and push through, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Can be quite tedious at times especially considering the number of tedious, weird & wonderful equations you have learn/derive. Also, organic chemistry can be quite depressing, but if you stick at it, you'll make it through. GCSE chem barely scratches the surface of what A level chem looks into...So if you are a A/A* GCSE chem student, chem a level is definitely doable, providing you put in hard work. Best to do subjects that you have a real passion for. Because A levels are challenging. best wishes

ReputationRep:
    Got an A* at GCSE and an A in my As but just got a D for my A2 mock I've got an offer for medicine. Any advice? Do I have time to turn this around before June and get an A in A2?

ReputationRep:
    Even though you haven't chosen to take A-Level Chemistry, there is still plenty of time for you to think about it between now and results day when you find out how well you did in the GCSE. Then, if you do change your mind and want to take it, you will have the option to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NateRiver)
    Even though you haven't chosen to take A-Level Chemistry, there is still plenty of time for you to think about it between now and results day when you find out how well you did in the GCSE. Then, if you do change your mind and want to take it, you will have the option to do that.
    Thanks for the advice, I have been thinking about it, and I have decided that if I get an A or an A* at GCSE then I will try and take it at A-Level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.