Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breaking News: Trump coup d'etat commencing Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Oh the irony of allegedly not being able to understand the legal implications.
    You seem to be confused about the meaning of the word irony :lol: But given you really have no legal knowledge at all, your opinion on this has about as much validity as my opinion on molecular biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    We have a rather hysterical article from a rather junior legal academic. But we don't have anything to this effect on the ACLU website or that of the Washington Post or New York Times. Where are the interviews with the deported or the relatives of the incarcerated in the US or foreign press?
    Leah McGrath from Newsweek has confirmed marshal service refused to carry out a federal judges order. And the CBP is still refusing people access to legal counsel despite a clear federal order.

Slate has interviewed constitutional scholars on this subject. Are you seriously so oblivious that you don't understand the legal implications of US marshals refusing to carry out a clear judicial order, and instead opting to wait for instructions from the White House? Ditto CBP?

Obviously I was under a misapprehension that your politics were... saner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Hmm, the more I read the less convinced I am that US Marshals made an appearance at any airport.

I do still think that there was (and may still be) non compliance of the order from CBP. That's based on it being fairly widely reported and my dislike of CBP.
    I'm not sure anyone said anything about US marshals at the airport.,?

But Leah McGrath of Newsweek has confirmed through sources at the ACLU that the US marshal service refused to give effect to a federal judges order and instead referred to the White House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Leah McGrath from Newsweek has confirmed marshal service refused to carry out a federal judges order. And the CBP is still refusing people access to legal counsel despite a clear federal order.

Slate has interviewed constitutional scholars on this subject. Are you seriously so oblivious that you don't understand the legal implications of US marshals refusing to carry out a clear judicial order, and instead opting to wait for instructions from the White House? Ditto CBP?

Obviously I was under a misapprehension that your politics were... saner.
    I'm not sure anyone said anything about US marshals at the airport.,?

But Leah McGrath of Newsweek has confirmed through sources at the ACLU that the US marshal service refused to give effect to a federal judges order and instead referred to the White House.
    There is a very big difference between a junior official who is court on the hop and confronted with a novel and extreme situation and is looking for someone else to take responsibility (think of the circumstances in which the Berlin Wall fell) and continuing deliberate contumacy. If the ACLU was really faced with serious disobedience to a federal court order, they would have been back before a judge within hours. The ACLU lawyers will have been raised on the office war stories of the civil rights era when federal courts were openly defied and they would have loved to have a similar cause of their own.

PS Bob Woodward still works for the Washington Post; Carl Bernstein has been recently hired by CNN. If, perhaps when, there are serious issues of impropriety against the Trump administration they will front the coverage. Americans are well aware that it was Ed Murrow (a TV journalist who made Richard Dimbleby look lightweight) who brought down McCarthy.

ReputationRep:
    He can be taken down, lawfully and legitimately. But patience is necessary. While Trump (and especially Bannon) are fascistic in their disposition, they're also idiots and will be brought down by their own incompetence. There will be no "frog in the boiling water" situation because they're incapable of impulse control; all they are capable of doing is increasing the opposition to themselves.
    I think you're getting at the same point, but I don't think incompetence itself is their problem. The US has had no shortage of incompetent politicians for a while now. Reagan was incompetent. The difference is that most of them are either (like Reagan) relatively modestly incompetent, and or have a level of respect for procedure. Trump, by contrast, is arrogantly incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    Lololololololololololololol this gon be goood

ReputationRep:
    Interesting article in Slate on what can happen if Trump and his people continue to defy Federal court orders.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...urt_order.html

It sounds a bit like, despite their famous checks and balances, the US system is as legally fragile to government dictatorship as ours is. Not that long ago, the Home Secretary ordered the police to go to Parliament and raid the offices of an MP on completely fabricated grounds - the police went, were not stopped by the Speaker and were never sanctioned, the Home Secretary was unrepentant but blamed it on officials, who denied it, etc, etc. It appears that Britain and America sometimes share a love of power over law, at least at the highest levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Holy ****. Trump is circumventing the courts? Who will stop this tyrant?

If nobody in power is willing to stand up to this brute, it is up to us the people to depose this despot.
    Unfortunately, all the people who have been stockpiling weapons against just such a tyrannical executive arm, actually support him.
    You couldn't make it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Interesting article in Slate on what can happen if Trump and his people continue to defy Federal court orders.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...urt_order.html

It sounds a bit like, despite their famous checks and balances, the US system is as legally fragile to government dictatorship as ours is. Not that long ago, the Home Secretary ordered the police to go to Parliament and raid the offices of an MP on completely fabricated grounds - the police went, were not stopped by the Speaker and were never sanctioned, the Home Secretary was unrepentant but blamed it on officials, who denied it, etc, etc. It appears that Britain and America sometimes share a love of power over law, at least at the highest levels.
    On the Damien Green example; it happened once. It didn't happen twice. That is the system working.

The Slate article is fundamentally wrong. It portrays a court looking for and not having the resources to find a person responsible to hold in contempt. Non-compliance with judicial orders by public officials is not uncommon in this country and I suspect the same is true of the USA; ask any judge dealing with care cases or social security appeals.

Part of the rule of law is the personal responsibility of public officials for their acts. You don't need to find who ordered persons detained in breach of a court order to release. You simply find the most senior person with actual custody you can and threaten to put him in gaol.

The situation doesn't become revolutionary when a US Marshal won't serve a writ. The situation becomes revolutionary when Andrew Cuomo turns up at JFK with a federal court writ and the tanks of the New York State National Guard and federal troops then defy him.

It is possible to see this being played out by the executive and judiciary in 1798 in Ireland and in both England and Ireland between 1920-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    as i see it Trump thinks he is the law.

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...5/67836935.jpg
    Talk about mixing your cultural references!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.