Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weird to keep going to the library alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So you think people are gonna spend their time waiting to look for people going to the library alone?
    It's the same as laughing at a fat person in the gym, a library is a place for studying, not some social event.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Roman)
    It really does feel weird to go to the library all alone for me, it just feels like I am a loser at making friends, there are some fake friends of mine who say that library is for lonely people like me and I found their opinions to be very rude, I just want to get rid of them in the most painful way if I could. I don't give a **** of what my fake friends have to say, I am just proud of being myself(Kind of proud) and I don't let emotional bullying bring me down.
    honestly lovvveee this. get rid of them fake friends and do you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (...)
    Can understand your view. It is a strange feeling beng alone in a lbrary while other people around you are in a group to read books. But who cares? I was also alone in a library and reading book. And looking for a silent place to read is not weird, it is the best what you can do to be focused on books. Personally, I would rather go alone to a library to read in a silent surrounding than being together with friends who are talking during reading.

ReputationRep:
    You're definitely overreacting!

I think especially by the time final year comes around, anyone with a bit of sense goes to the library alone. I used to go every day alone, I loved it haha, get a cuppa, some snacks, stick your earphones, bliss!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Nadine_08)
    I can't comprehend what would be so weird about going to study in the library alone? I go alone allll the time
    It is the best what can be done anyway. Going alone make sure to have silence. Without silence, reading is almost a physical impossibility.

ReputationRep:
    I used to go by myself most lunches as I did not have many friends, it is good because you get loads of work done and have less to do at home, which means it is easier to meet deadlines. Also when you go with other people it is hard to get work done!

ReputationRep:
    100% not weird and socially acceptable. Relax! Nobody takes these things under their notice. Do you see people on their own in the library and think anything of it?

It's actually my preference to go to the library on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123moonlight)
    I used to go by myself most lunches as I did not have many friends, it is good because you get loads of work done and have less to do at home, which means it is easier to meet deadlines.
    Same story with me mate, I don't have or lets say almost don't have many friends, going to the library means you can get all your homework done and at home you can just chill out! Ofcourse you do need someone to talk to sometimes and it's not easy to do that with very few friends...like me

ReputationRep:
    It's not weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in final year and over the years I've tended to go to the library on my own. There has only been a handful of instances in which I've been with friends but they have turned out to be unproductive sessions. A lot of my friends commute and others work better at home so I don't really have an option but to go to the library by myself. I always, always feel like I'm being judged though, if I see regulars there. The ground floor section is a more laid back area where people do group work etc but I tend to study on the first floor which is a silent zone. I always feel quite embarrassed walking past the people on the ground floor - there are probably people that have seen me there before, always alone. Once I'm there I do get quite a bit of work done and it's really the only place I can concentrate nowadays.

Am I over reacting?

wtfFFFFFF please you're so paranoid you go to the library to get **** done so just go alone and try to avoid seeing any friends

ReputationRep:
    girl...those people at the library? You're irrelevant to them

Irrelevent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Roman)
    Same story with me mate, I don't have or lets say almost don't have many friends, going to the library means you can get all your homework done and at home you can just chill out! Ofcourse you do need someone to talk to sometimes and it's not easy to do that with very few friends...like me
    Do you think the same principles apply to sitting in lectures alone? I see quite a lot of people at my uni sitting in lectures alone (including myself most of the time) but I don't really think anything of it - we are there to learn and take notes, not to have a long chat/catch up with friends in a lecture.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.