Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are your cats indoor or outdoor cats? Watch

• View Poll Results: Are you cat house cats or outdoor cats?
    Indoor cats
    37.50%
    Outdoor cats
    62.50%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There's a debate about whether or not its cruel to keep cats indoor all the time as opposed to letting them go in and out the house as they please. There are reasons to keep your cats indoor such as living near a main road, they have always been house cats or maybe they are disabled or vulnerable or you keep them as house cats through personal choice or it seems that is what the cats prefer. Then you get the counter argument of its cruel to let them out when there are wild animals outside, cars, animal abusers etc outside. You can't win.

Are your cars indoor or outdoor?

Two of my cats are always indoor. I got them when they were six years old and they had been indoor cats all their life and never showed any interest in going outside so we have kept them in and to this day, they have never been outside. My youngest 2 cats are outdoor cats however. We got them as kittens last year and as soon as they were old enough, they wanted to explore outside and we have a window open for them all day so they can go in and out as they please. They are usually out for most of the day but come in at night. My cat that died in 2014 was a feral cat before we got him so he was an outdoor cat too but always stayed inside at night

ReputationRep:
    My cat is an outdoor cat, she seems to be equally happy both inside and outside the house

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe there's people dumb enough to leave their cats OUTSIDE in British weather. UNLIKE dogs, cats are adapted to warm desert climates. They are not adapted for life in the freezing British winters. If you can't look after an animal, don't get one!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Spock! I've had two cats (both of which weren't ours )

Not suspicious dw, RSPCA calm down - one was a neighbour's, who came round with a photo of it asking if anyone had seen it after being missing for a month; we gave it some milk the first time and you know the rest, I'm sure While she was showing us her picture, said feline arrives at our feet and is taken home. Kept coming back and treated original owner as her 2nd home - the saying is true! The one we have now, we have no idea whose it belongs to. It's dozing beside me rn, little chubby white ball of cuteness. [Cats can break down even a grown man's tough exterior] - really lucky that both of them were/are so beautiful - one persian-coat (Picture below, was named Daisy by owner, Dad said it looks like a Tom even though it was a gal so we kept it), another white with persian-brown but more patchy (Sister made brownies on the day it came, I think. Naturally, with it's brown bits, it's Brownie).

Anyway - 1st one was much more active, always running to random rooms, wide-eyed, catching mice from gardens and bringing them back (Mum had to set many from it's clutches - one got up her dress once! :rofl: Too funny) Caught a pigeon once and ate in front of our eyes :gasp:Couldn't look at it the same way again She was much more an outdoor cat (in summer - all cats tend to be indoorsy in Winter though - wayyy tooo cold these past few Winters. Cat-naps are the best. (Reminds me: https://www.scrapbook.com/poems/doc/8991.html)

2nd one is much more lazy - (don't blame it's gender! Not all boys are lazy... Well, that tends to be the norm Meh) More indoorsy. But goes out at 3am regularly. Saw a rat last week - he was sleeping soundly upstairs

One more thing - once they go wet food, they don't go back to dry. Lesson not leaned after first experience On top of that, we pile it's bowl full with dry food, so it loses it's pungent (Phoo!) smell and it loses interest.
    I'm guessing the right way is to only give it food 2/3 times a day, small portions of dry, while once-in-a-while giving wet?

Why am I rambling? TSR, I blame you... And my luv for cats :heart: (Although, my pet peeve *Haha, PET peeve. I'm so cringy* - those hairs get everywhere - any new piece of clothing cannot escape... Anything woolen is doomed in a cat's household. Carpets too).

Respect for anyone who read all of my rubbish :thumbsup:

Name:  Tom Plom.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  277.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Indoor cats are an abomination.

ReputationRep:
    2 indoor, 1 outdoor! All used to be outdoor but then we moved to a flat and only one was fussed about going out still... the other two couldn't give less of a ****

ReputationRep:
    Mine is a cool cat he goes wherever the wind takes him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx)
    2 indoor, 1 outdoor! All used to be outdoor but then we moved to a flat and only one was fussed about going out still... the other two couldn't give less of a ****
    Ground floor flat?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epoddoulc)
    I can't believe there's people dumb enough to leave their cats OUTSIDE in British weather. UNLIKE dogs, cats are adapted to warm desert climates. They are not adapted for life in the freezing British winters. If you can't look after an animal, don't get one!
    I agree its cruel to leave a cat or dog out 24/7, to me if you are going to do that then you don't really have a pet - you have a feral dog or cat instead and if they weren't born feral and aren't used to those conditions then they deserve a better home. I don't think its cruel to let your cats out when they please but you have a cat flap or window open for them all the time so they can decide when its too cold outside. My cats don't like going out when its cold and when its heavy rain or stormy weather, we keep the 2 cats that like to go outside in the house but when the weather is ok, the window is open 24/7 and they can come and go as they please which I think is fine but if were up to me, they would be house cats all of the time. I don't trust other people - too many reckless drivers, animal haters etc out there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Mine used to be outdoors, but she's not so keen on going out now. We set her up a litter tray which she uses most of the time, and when she wants to go out we let her, but that's only about once a week or so. I think it's the cold because she's getting on a bit now

ReputationRep:
    My cat runs around outside. But she literally has a curfew and she isn't allowed to stay out at night past 10. She was previously attacked by a fox when she was younger, so I can see the dangers of letting her stay outside and would really want her to just stay inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I agree its cruel to leave a cat or dog out 24/7, to me if you are going to do that then you don't really have a pet - you have a feral dog or cat instead and if they weren't born feral and aren't used to those conditions then they deserve a better home. I don't think its cruel to let your cats out when they please but you have a cat flap or window open for them all the time so they can decide when its too cold outside. My cats don't like going out when its cold and when its heavy rain or stormy weather, we keep the 2 cats that like to go outside in the house but when the weather is ok, the window is open 24/7 and they can come and go as they please which I think is fine but if were up to me, they would be house cats all of the time. I don't trust other people - too many reckless drivers, animal haters etc out there.
    In my neighbourhood I always hear dogs and cats crying in the night, stupid owners expect their pets to survive outside in -4 degrees British weather. Really gets me angry that people don't do their research BEFORE buying these vulnerable animals.

ReputationRep:
    If we tried to keep the cat inside, she's soon register her disgust by destroying our house. She comes and goes when Her Ladyship feels like it. She brings back mountains of dead mice, rats and rabbits from the barns, so to keep her inside would be the height of cruelty. She's half farm cat, half pet. A perfect combination.

At Easter, we shame her into being an Easter Bunny, because of all the ones she's killed the preceding year. Like this:

Name:  IMG_0001_2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  207.1 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Aslan is an indoor cat, as the house is on a main road, and the last cat we owned did end up getting run over (he loved crossing the road and we would constantly get calls from houses opposite to go and collect him)

Saying that, Aslan himself is a lazy cat, and is openly choosing to stay inside most of the day - the family who owned him before we took him in said he typically only went out to urinate/poo, and then stayed inside the rest of the time.
    • Very Important Poster

I think its healthy for cats to play outside, climb trees, chase butterflies, fight other cats and explore. I have never had just an indoor cat, which is my preference. Thats not to say indoor cats arent well cared for or that being near a main road isnt a good enough reason to keep them indoors.
    Cats tend to be free to come and go during the day, but are always in at night.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.