Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    - Hello- I'm 'Chemical fail' (Yes, I suck at making usernames) and I'm new to TSR and this is my entry for the grow your grades contest.
    - My main hobbies include getting frustrated over political issues, reading, stressing out over anything&everything and learning anatomy (Yes, I'm an odd person)
    - GCSEs-
    AQA - Art- Regretting every ounce of it.
    OCR GATEWAY - Biology - Oddly obsessed with it.
    OCR GATEWAY - Chemistry - Again, oddly obsessed with it.
    AQA - English Literature&Language - Enjoy learning/revising it but despise the exams with a passion.
    AQA - French - Love learning the language although hate the GCSE course as I cannot handle the controlled assessments.
    Edexcel - History - Love everything about it except the fact that I don't know how I did in my coursework and we can't redo it.
    (School deciding exam board in Feb) - Maths - Enjoy learning/revising although the exams are the death of me.
    (AQA) - Media - Don't understand why I chose it but do pretty well in it.
    OCR GATEWAY - Physics - Moderately like it.

- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
    Obviously, completely, going to ace it, know absolutely everything, not failing every subject AT ALL. Okay, no but seriously, some subjects such as the three sciences, history and English Literature I feel like I'll do fine as long as I do hardcore revision for the next few months. But Maths and English Language, my grades actually have such a weak correlation and I've had tests where I've gotten level 8's and then some tests that I've barely scraped 3's. I'm dreading these the most. French is also another one I'm terrified about, because I did horrible in my controlled assessments and our teacher isn't keen at all in retakes, which is annoying because the exam I always do fine at. We've got one more coursework to do but it's speaking and I've only recently recovered from my lisp/stuttering and I just can't do speaking. Art is just one I have no idea what I'm going to do, we used to have an amazing teacher but he left and now the new teacher is putting too much emphasis on quantity over quality (and I barely had a grip on quality) and she isn't clarifying what I actually need to do, but just saying that I'm completely off my target grade. Media is the only one I feel like I have a moderate grip on.

My dream career is to do something in medicine (leaning towards surgery)- although it sucks that I didn't know I wanted to do medicine in year 10, so I never bothered taking GCSEs seriously and chose completely random options. The grades I need to get into uni's I want are basically 3 level 9's and 7 A*s. If only I could hop in a time machine and hit my year 10 self with a revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    How I think I did in my mocks/ SELF predicted grades (being 'slightly' optimistic here)

Media- A/A*
    Art- B/A
    History- A/A*
    Biology- B/A
    Chemistry- A/A*
    Physics- A/B
    English Language- Level 6/7
    English Literature- Level 7/8
    Maths (absolutely failed this one) - Level 5/6
    French- B/A

Well considering my target grades are all A*s / level 9's except in french and art which are A's, I've got a LOT of work to do.
    I've got controlled assesement sessions for the rest of the week, so I'm planning to create a revision timetable on Friday.
    Currently feeling motivated, despite letting myself down for my mocks.

1 more week till I find out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know some people who have applied to do medicine this year. (I'm in year 13) To be honest what is most important is doing well at A level, though now there are no AS levels, I'd imagine GCSES would become more important. However different universities focus on different aspects, some look at UKCAT (or BMAT) quite heavily and if you meet the cut-off you get an interview, whereas others look at personal statements quite a lot.

I took art at GCSE and it was my worst subject, I would have got all A's and A*'s if it wasn't for art. To be honest when I chose my GCSE's I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was older, and I sincerely regret not taking my GCSEs more seriously. I would recommend looking at your mock papers and seeing what let you down, and try and work on it for the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    Hi, I know some people who have applied to do medicine this year. (I'm in year 13) To be honest what is most important is doing well at A level, though now there are no AS levels, I'd imagine GCSES would become more important. However different universities focus on different aspects, some look at UKCAT (or BMAT) quite heavily and if you meet the cut-off you get an interview, whereas others look at personal statements quite a lot.

I took art at GCSE and it was my worst subject, I would have got all A's and A*'s if it wasn't for art. To be honest when I chose my GCSE's I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was older, and I sincerely regret not taking my GCSEs more seriously. I would recommend looking at your mock papers and seeing what let you down, and try and work on it for the real thing!
    Thankyou, and I'm simply just trying to scrape that A in art although it actually seems impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Update- No mock results so far. Absolutely ******** my self.

ReputationRep:
    update ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.