Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1110 - Treason and Terrorism (amendment) bill 2017 (2nd reading) Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Treason and Terrorism (Amendment) Act 2017 (Second Reading), SoggyCabbages MP
    Seconded by: Quamquam123 MP

Treason and Terrorism (Amendment) Bill 2017 (Second Reading)
    An Act to completely remove suffrage from those guilty of Treason and High Treason

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Amendment of Section 6
    The following shall be inserted:
    (5) Any prisoner convicted will incur a total loss of suffrage.

2: Amendment of Section 9
    The following shall be inserted:
    (5) Any prisoner convicted will incurr a total loss of suffrage.

3: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
    (1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
    (2) The provisions of this Act come into force upon Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act may be cited as the Treason and Terrorism (Amendment) Act 2017.

Notes
    Anyone convicted of such a heinous crime as Treason or High Treason does not deserve the right to vote. Currently in real life, individuals convicted of Treason lose all suffrage apart from in local elections. This amendment introduces the loss of suffrage with no exceptions.

Original Bill: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3607595

Changes for the second reading:
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Tidied up the formatting
    - Altered the notes
    --Increased sobriety levels of author, consequently resulting in the bill looking neater

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And this needed a second reading, why? The changes are sufficiently trivial it could have been sent to division without a second reading.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Section 2 of the Representation of the People Act (V857) means that for treason (including terrorist activity) and murder, one can be sentenced to civic death whereby they are "ineligible of being elected, or sitting, or voting as a member of either House of Parliament, or of exercising any right of suffrage or other parliamentary or municipal franchise whatever within the United Kingdom". So, where appropriate, the court can implement this. As such, this is a wholly unnecessary bill and I will be voting No.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Section 2 of the Representation of the People Act (V857) means that for treason (including terrorist activity) and murder, one can be sentenced to civic death whereby they are "ineligible of being elected, or sitting, or voting as a member of either House of Parliament, or of exercising any right of suffrage or other parliamentary or municipal franchise whatever within the United Kingdom". So, where appropriate, the court can implement this. As such, this is a wholly unnecessary bill and I will be voting No.
    Thank you for reminding me about that.

Obviously I'm not currently in a position to cast a vote but I won't be supporting this bill on these grounds.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Someone's on the ball… In that case, I will also be voting no.

ReputationRep:
    What I think this bill's impact on Low Treason?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    What I think this bill's impact on Low Treason?
    Treason is defined in prior MHoC legislation (that *******ised treason) as specifically *******ised high treason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye on this.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Still an aye

ReputationRep:
    My reason for voting no, pointless bill because of this.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    nay
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, if you committed a crime such as treason you deserve not to vote as you have betrayed our country.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, should be RL law as perfectly good idea

ReputationRep:
    Aye!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This bill has entered cessation!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.