Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

changing courses before starting uni Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on to do psychology in uni but my mum spoke to her co-worker and she said she wasted her years doing psychology because there are no careers in it. Now I want to change the course after hearing that but I already got offers from all the uni's I applied to. I didnt accept any universities yet. what should I do? I am really worried and confused.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merlinvarkey)
    I am planning on to do psychology in uni but my mum spoke to her co-worker and she said she wasted her years doing psychology because there are no careers in it. Now I want to change the course after hearing that but I already got offers from all the uni's I applied to. I didnt accept any universities yet. what should I do? I am really worried and confused.
    Are you 100% confident that you would like to study something else for 3+ years based on a conversation between your mum and her colleague? There are plenty of careers available with a psychology degree.

If you're sure then:

Do you like the universities you've applied to?

Do any offer the course you'd like to switch to?

If so ring them up and ask for your application to be swapped to the other course.

If they can swap you over it will show on Track as a changed course/offer.

Once you've done this with all 5 choices then you have until May to pick your firm/insurance.

If none of your choices offer the course you're interested in then look on UCAS course search to find places which are accepting late applications - phone them up and ask if they'll be open in Extra for those courses, decline all your original offers and apply through Extra in March to your favourite choice from your research.

ReputationRep:
    So what did you do ? Did you change at the end???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eda-bsm)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's been less than a week

ReputationRep:
    So are you saying it's too early yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So are you saying it's too early yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm saying the OP might be still deciding what they want to do and contacting universities for more information.

ReputationRep:
    Thats very true .
    Ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Are you 100% confident that you would like to study something else for 3+ years based on a conversation between your mum and her colleague? There are plenty of careers available with a psychology degree.

If you're sure then:

Do you like the universities you've applied to?

Do any offer the course you'd like to switch to?

If so ring them up and ask for your application to be swapped to the other course.

If they can swap you over it will show on Track as a changed course/offer.

Once you've done this with all 5 choices then you have until May to pick your firm/insurance.

If none of your choices offer the course you're interested in then look on UCAS course search to find places which are accepting late applications - phone them up and ask if they'll be open in Extra for those courses, decline all your original offers and apply through Extra in March to your favourite choice from your research.
    Im sorry for not replying but yes I took your advice and really thought about it and decided to go through with psychology. I dont want to risk it because of a conversation my mother had lol but thank you for the help

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I decided to stick with psychology. I realised I was going to change what I really wanted to do based on someone else's thoughts

ReputationRep:
    That's very true, I wanted to do nursing before so much then had talk with mum friend she said definitely don't do it not good. It made me think a lot. Then after research I found I don't want to do it because of the night shifts. But later search into more degree found of psychology which made me very interested which then what I have applied for. It's a really good degree I just got all my offers. It's a broad subject and you can go into health or into anything else. So you made the right desicison dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    That's very true, I wanted to do nursing before so much then had talk with mum friend she said definitely don't do it not good. It made me think a lot. Then after research I found I don't want to do it because of the night shifts. But later search into more degree found of psychology which made me very interested which then what I have applied for. It's a really good degree I just got all my offers. It's a broad subject and you can go into health or into anything else. So you made the right desicison dont worry.
    Thank you I feel like I made the right choice. I did my research and it said I can go into Human Resource Management. do you think thats possible because they do offer the course for it but I dont know if its worth changing the courses if I can still get a job with my psychology degree.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I feel like I made the right choice. I did my research and it said I can go into Human Resource Management. do you think thats possible because they do offer the course for it but I dont know if its worth changing the courses if I can still get a job with my psychology degree.
    You don't need an HR degree to get an HR job.

If it's something that interests you then try to find internships for your summers during your degree to build your experience and use what flexibility you have to cover some of the basics during your degree.

A lot of the best HR people have a psychology background.

https://www.cipd.co.uk Is the place to look for industry information, news and careers advice.

ReputationRep:
    A psychology degree isn't like Medicine/Nursing where you can just get a job in the same field when you leave, and it isn't really like engineering or maths where there is demand for your specific skill set. Having any degree is useful to get into the graduate job market, as long as you also spend the time getting good work experience. The psychology job market is pretty bad as there are way too many psychology undergraduates, but there is lots more you can do outside of psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on to do psychology in uni but my mum spoke to her co-worker and she said she wasted her years doing psychology because there are no careers in it.
    What utter rubbish. Its one of the most useful degrees you could do, and would lead you into a thousand different career areas, not just clinical Psychology - teaching, banking, management, you name it.

Relevant Uni career sites :
    Kent : https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychol.htm
    Southampton : http://www.southampton.ac.uk/psychol...rtunities.page

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.