Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone who was like me in year 11 Maths and now in A level Maths Watch

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSRers,

I am in year 11 and I am in the top set for maths. Also, I'm in top set for most other subjects and have been predicted around 10 A*.I have been predicted an A/A* for my EOY results for maths and I intend to carry it on at A level. Right now, I am working at the equivalent of the old A ( a low 7 )

In maths I tend to stay quiet and I rarely raise my hand. most of the time, I am able to answer all the questions on the board and I understand most things however during test time, I don't do as well as the best students. At home, I don't revise much for maths ( apart from going through several booklets the teacher gave) and I predict myself to get an A

My question is this: If there is someone like me, how did maths turn out for you in GCSE and how is/has it going/gone at A level? Also, what other subjects are/did you taking/take at A level? Also, your first proper exam at A level maths, how was it?

Many thanks, M
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_joker007)
    Dear TSRers,

I am in year 11 and I am in the top set for maths. Also, I'm in top set for most other subjects and have been predicted around 10 A*.I have been predicted an A/A* for my EOY results for maths and I intend to carry it on at A level. Right now, I am working at the equivalent of the old A ( a low 7 )

In maths I tend to stay quiet and I rarely raise my hand. most of the time, I am able to answer all the questions on the board and I understand most things however during test time, I don't do as well as the best students. At home, I don't revise much for maths ( apart from going through several booklets the teacher gave) and I predict myself to get an A

My question is this: If there is someone like me, how did maths turn out for you in GCSE and how is/has it going/gone at A level? Also, what other subjects are/did you taking/take at A level? Also, your first proper exam at A level maths, how was it?

Many thanks, M
    This was literally me. I scraped an A* (90.00%) at GCSE, was close to top but not quite there and in Year 13 turned into someone who got an A* in Maths (always participating in classes and coming out on top) and self studying FM to get an A.

It just takes that bit of courage to participate as wel as put in lots of hard work at home

Also did physics and chemistry and English lit. First exam was okay, didn't feel like a huge step up from GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I was pretty similar. Unfortunately I got a reality shock at A level maths and realised my laziness earlier on had cost me. I got an A at GCSE maths, so I started off A level maths not knowing anything about how surds work or about indices rules. I managed to turn it around though, at AS I got a B (3 UMS from an A) because I didn't revise enough for my exams, but I'm currently averaging 80-90%. The key thing is that you need to put in effort, as for maths you need to practice to get good. I'm predicted an A at A level by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well listen Yeah,
    I wasn't a top set Buffin but I was in Set 2.
    I was predicted a High B but I literally scraped an A in GCSE maths by 3 Marks. Lool.
    But now I am getting A/Bs in C1 mocks we do at college.
    It takes hard work and grit at A level I think, and it is expected to get harder in A2. I saw the new spec for a level maths from this year and it's More application, than new stuff. Let's be honest, you can really change maths can you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone! Nice to know there are others like me, i wish you all the luck in the world for your exams!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I got an A in maths gcse, wasn't even in top set which was such a pisstake but there wasn't anything I could do. Somehow by some luck my sixth form allowed me to take maths and further maths and I got A*A in those getting 100% in A2 maths. And only missed out on further by some stupidity by me. I actually revised hard, like 3/4 months before my gcses and barely revised for my A-Levels and just found it pretty easy, I think my brain was just late to mature or some crap like that. Maths is getting challenging at uni though but nothing I can't manage . Good luck bro .

ReputationRep:
    at gcse you can sail through maths on pure talent, pure talent doesn't mean **** at a level and you'll get a U unless you really grind it at home. I didn't revise much maths at gcse, but now at a level i do lots of past papers, pay good attention in class and just revise my notes really. If you're naturally good at maths AND you put the work in you'll do alright. In fact it's probably best you start doing loads of past papers for gcse rn.
    i do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and a modern foreign language

ReputationRep:
    i do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and a modern foreign language[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. That's quite the workload you got there.

How is it you revise for maths? I have this CGP book for (9-1) but i havn't touched it yet (though i did just get it today).

I was thinking about either taking chemistry or physics. how are said subjects going from you and is physics very different at A level. Which would YOU recommend out of the two. Also how much is there on the topic of electricity and the like?

ReputationRep:
    I was just like that last year when I did my GCSEs! The problem is A level is different. You need to revise between every lesson at A level to stand a chance. If you want to take A level maths, I suggest you start revising as if it was A level and see how you cope. If you're wondering how to revise, go to the YouTube channel 'Uk maths teacher' and search anything you're struggling with or want to know more about. I would highly recommend that for GCSE and A level.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.