Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Share your (New) Driver Mistakes Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all drivers,

I'm a (kind of nervous) new driver and am slowly getting my confidence up. I've been driving for a week now but tend to beat myself up about the every little mistake I make. I was speaking to my friends about this and they agreed they also have made some dodgy mistakes since getting their driving licence not too long ago and it can really affect their confidence driving. Thought it be fun to share the silly mistakes we've made as a new drivers (or not so new drivers) to help those of us who have low confidence driving realise that mistakes early on are normal and we're not all lost causes lol

I've been driving for 11 days so far and the worst mistake I'd say I've made is I judged a gap wrong on a road with cars parked on both sides and another one driving through towards me. I went to drive through thinking there was enough space for the both of us and there only just was...it was pretty tight and the driver obviously wasnt expecting me to drive through. Well I got a big large beep which was well deserved and we had to squeeze past eachother. That's a nice example of poor inexperienced judgement. Needless to say I'm not gonna be making that mistake again because I beat myself up about it for like 3 days straight.

Whoops. Your turn

ReputationRep:
    When you say you're a new driver, do you mean youve just started learning or just passed?

ReputationRep:
    Aha, I did that exact same thing in your second paragraph Honestly, just learn from your mistakes. It'll frustrate you while you're new, but give it time and you'll not only stop making them, but also either not remember any of them or laugh at the ones you do remember.

(Original post by Treeroy)
    When you say you're a new driver, do you mean youve just started learning or just passed?
    Generally means "just passed test" when someone says "new driver".

ReputationRep:
    My funny party true story is once flipped a guy off for tailgating me and beeping his horn all the way down the road. Turns out he just wanted to tell me my petrol cap was open.

So ya never be aggressive on the road is the moral of that story

ReputationRep:
    I mean I just passed

ReputationRep:
    Turned down a street not knowing it was one way 😬
    • Political Ambassador

I don't know when I'll learn how to park my car, I just find it so difficult. I actually called some of my friends to park it for me a few times. :rofl:

I'm so afraid I'm going to judge the distance wrong and damage it, but I'm well aware you learn from your mistakes so practice is everything.

And I sometimes forget to check my mirrors so I scratched two cars while exiting a parking lot. But they were so clooose. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldplasma)
    My funny party true story is once flipped a guy off for tailgating me and beeping his horn all the way down the road. Turns out he just wanted to tell me my petrol cap was open.

Ah dear - sorry but that made me giggle 😁 I haven't left my petrol cap open...yet (although I've only had to fill up once and that was also an experience because I got there and realised I didn't really know what I was doing lol. Managed it though :P)

ReputationRep:
    Me personally, I have been driving 4 years, and I still can't parallel park at all. I never figured it out when learning, and luckily didn't need to do it in my test, and so I've not tried it since passing. I just avoid it altogether and find somewhere that I don't need to parallel park in.

(Original post by MaryJ93)
    I mean I just passed
    Congratulations mate.
    to be honest I never really worried about driving once I passed. but I live in the countryside and it's very quiet here. I was terrified my first time on a motorway!

(Original post by Eob274)
    think we've all made that mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Aha, I did that exact same thing in your second paragraph Honestly, just learn from your mistakes. It'll frustrate you while you're new, but give it time and you'll not only stop making them, but also either not remember any of them or laugh at the ones you do remember.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm trying not to beat myself up about stuff. That's the only time (so far) I've been beeped at so it made me feel so crappy afterwards

(Original post by Eob274)
    Sounds like a fairly easy mistake to make, you definitely are not the only one who has made it. I saw someone turn the wrong way down a one way street just the other week.

(Original post by EC)
    I don't know when I'll learn how to park my car, I just find it so difficult. I actually called some of my friends to park it for me a few times. :rofl:

I'm so afraid I'm going to judge the distance wrong and damage it, but I'm well aware you learn from your mistakes so practice is everything.

And I sometimes forget to check my mirrors so I scratched two cars while exiting a parking lot. But they were so clooose. :cry:
    I feel you!! The biggest worry I have at the moment is having to park!! I'm still at the stage where I'm choosing to go to shops after work in the evening or on a Sunday because I know it'll be quieter. I had to go to the town centre last Saturday and I nearly took a bus instead because I didn't want to deal with parking. Plucked up the courage to drive and had to bay park in a busy area and I ended up having to reverse in and out 3 times to get it right. My friend was in the car at the time and I was so embarrassed 😳

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaryJ93)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm trying not to beat myself up about stuff. That's the only time (so far) I've been beeped at so it made me feel so crappy afterwards
    Yeah, don't worry about it! Give it a few months and you won't make mistakes anymore. Driving is a piece of piss once you get used to it

ReputationRep:
    Me personally, I have been driving 4 years, and I still can't parallel park at all. I never figured it out when learning, and luckily didn't need to do it in my test, and so I've not tried it since passing. I just avoid it altogether and find somewhere that I don't need to parallel park in.

Congratulations mate.
    to be honest I never really worried about driving once I passed. but I live in the countryside and it's very quiet here. I was terrified my first time on a motorway!
    Thanks for the congratulations 😊 I had to do a parallel park on my test and got marked down because I took too long lol. Did my first parallel park since passing the other day but it was on a quiet road and I took my time so I could do it properly ha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Don't suppose this was a couple of weeks ago on the A66 was it? Long shot, but I was on the opposite end of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Don't suppose this was a couple of weeks ago on the A66 was it? Long shot, but I was on the opposite end of that.
    Sadly no, was down in essex
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sadly no, was down in essex
    Haha fair enough, was worth a shot :')

ReputationRep:
    I've recently past my test and am nervous of speed cameras and traffic cameras.

As for speed cameras: I may have been going 31-32mph in a 30 zone. So now have reduced my speed to 25-27. Which I can see is annoying the driver behind me. But better safe then sorry.

However late last night I managed to take a wrong exit on a roundabout. This almost made me end up on the M5 at junction 2. While my sat nav was rerouting around the roundabout I saw two flashes like a camera flash. I noticed a traffic light sneakily facing the m5 exit and could of sworn it was green. Guess I'll have to wait 14 days ro see what happens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.