Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poppyb787)
    To study medicine you only need Chemistry, and, in most cases, Biology. I understand that somewhere around 97% of successful applicants to Cambridge Medical School offer three science or maths A Levels and that this is probably your motivation, however I think you need to consider that this is due to the traditional scientific nature of the Cambridge medical course and if you dislike Maths and Physics the Cambridge approach is likely to be unsuitable for you.
    You have plenty of time to think about which universities and courses, and subsequently which A Levels, are suitable for you so I'd keep an open mind. It is MUCH easier to do A Levels you enjoy!
    aw thanks for the reply. as you've said, I still have some time to make decisions, but if worst comes to worst then I'll just have to grit my teeth and get through it

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I thought I'd post something. I go to a grammar school- I am currently in the sixth form at my school. Being at a grammar school can distort your view of what is good or bad, as I always thought a B was bad because we were all aiming for A's and A*'s (I know they use numbers now, but same sort of feeling I guess), so don't feel down if you think you have done badly as you probably haven't. You have plenty of time to work on your grades too before you have to do your GCSE's.

For medicine different universities focus on different aspects of your application, and put weight on different aspects. Some look quite closely at GCSE's whereas some just look at the top 9. I wouldn't worry about it too much. However there is one thing I will say: if you don't like maths don't do it at A level, because it seriously gets a lot harder, it is hard to do a subject you dislike at A level because you have to put so much work in.
    Unless you apply to Cambridge, generally two sciences is enough. (I know people with medicine offers with two sciences and history as a third subject for example) Of course you have plenty of time to give it some thought! I am doing the new reformed science A levels and they are hell. (though currently maths is unreformed)

ReputationRep:
    If you dislike Maths (especially if you find it tricky), and you don't feel like you'd be interested enough to dedicate time to it (ie. it will be pushed down in priority), don't take it, as can discern from the below. (I'm talking about A-level)

As you can probably tell, I don't particularly like maths and I'm really not that great at it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    If you dislike Maths (especially if you find it tricky), and you don't feel like you'd be interested enough to dedicate time to it (ie. it will be pushed down in priority), don't take it, as can discern from the below. (I'm talking about A-level)
    wow why is everyone taking it as I absolutely hate maths like it's satan:eek4:
    I'm average at maths (but that's just me being modest) and it's not the worst possible situation I can be in. Some parts I find interesting but the things we are doing now are pretty boring but I guess it'll be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emduck)
    Hi, I thought I'd post something. I go to a grammar school- I am currently in the sixth form at my school. Being at a grammar school can distort your view of what is good or bad, as I always thought a B was bad because we were all aiming for A's and A*'s (I know they use numbers now, but same sort of feeling I guess), so don't feel down if you think you have done badly as you probably haven't. You have plenty of time to work on your grades too before you have to do your GCSE's.

For medicine different universities focus on different aspects of your application, and put weight on different aspects. Some look quite closely at GCSE's whereas some just look at the top 9. I wouldn't worry about it too much. However there is one thing I will say: if you don't like maths don't do it at A level, because it seriously gets a lot harder, it is hard to do a subject you dislike at A level because you have to put so much work in.
    Unless you apply to Cambridge, generally two sciences is enough. (I know people with medicine offers with two sciences and history as a third subject for example) Of course you have plenty of time to give it some thought! I am doing the new reformed science A levels and they are hell. (though currently maths is unreformed)
    hey thanks for taking the time to reply
    I'm thinking about going to my sixth form at school as well, but it seems like
    year 11: i wanna go to cambridge
    year 12: meh any uni will do
    year 13: hahaa lemme go work in McDonalds

I usually cope with stress pretty well so GCSE's should (hopefully) be fine.
    As you've said, I've got plenty of time to decide but I'll guess that I have gotta learn to love it

ReputationRep:
    So I may as well introduce myself:
    -y'all can call me Mez (bonus points if you can figure our my real name haha)
    -I'm 14, born Nov 27 '02 andddd am in Year 9, go to a grammar school
    -I love all things youtube and harry potter, percy jackson, hunger games, basically any YA novel except for twilight because just ew
    -I am on instagram @mez_merising
    -I love writing so follow my beautiful aesthetic account @hvlcyon.kingdvm

sooooo yeah

ReputationRep:
    It took this thread for my own age to sink in. Oh god.

Just so you're aware - it's a noble goal trying to strive for so much so young, I know I certainly wanted Medicine back then - but there are always other routes in if your heart is set on it.

For example; I had a lot of issues at GCSE so I couldn't do Medicine, but now I'm doing Biomedicine and going to Medicine as a postgrad. There are also "Medicine Foundation Year"s available if things go south for any reason.

You've acknowledged your goal might change with time and I'm glad to see you're aware of that - if your goal is to help people there are plenty of related fields like psychology, biomedical science, biochemistry etc that all operate within the NHS. So don't fret if it changes course a little ^^

Finally - about that "sigh, Maths" - apart from I think one college at Cambridge, you don't necessarily need it! A contrasting subject you can perform equally well in might even make you stand out. Though it'll always help for Physics.

One last thing - from what I did read, you do appear to be quite hard on yourself; an 8c in Y9 is incredible. It's true that good grades are what get you into Medicine, leave alone Cambridge, but without fun or acknowledging your own ability, you'll only be unhappy. Try to see the great stuff you're managing

I'm sure everyone's probably already said all that and I'm repeating them haha. But seriously, hoping you the best of luck. ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyRees)
    It took this thread for my own age to sink in. Oh god.

Just so you're aware - it's a noble goal trying to strive for so much so young, I know I certainly wanted Medicine back then - but there are always other routes in if your heart is set on it.

For example; I had a lot of issues at GCSE so I couldn't do Medicine, but now I'm doing Biomedicine and going to Medicine as a postgrad. There are also "Medicine Foundation Year"s available if things go south for any reason.

You've acknowledged your goal might change with time and I'm glad to see you're aware of that - if your goal is to help people there are plenty of related fields like psychology, biomedical science, biochemistry etc that all operate within the NHS. So don't fret if it changes course a little ^^

Finally - about that "sigh, Maths" - apart from I think one college at Cambridge, you don't necessarily need it! A contrasting subject you can perform equally well in might even make you stand out. Though it'll always help for Physics.

One last thing - from what I did read, you do appear to be quite hard on yourself; an 8c in Y9 is incredible. It's true that good grades are what get you into Medicine, leave alone Cambridge, but without fun or acknowledging your own ability, you'll only be unhappy. Try to see the great stuff you're managing

I'm sure everyone's probably already said all that and I'm repeating them haha. But seriously, hoping you the best of luck. ^.^
    awww honestly thank you so much for your reply
    I might now reconsider maths A Level, although I'll leave that thought for a couple years since I've gotta focus of GCSE's and all. But thank you so much for your advice x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.