Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Road to CAMBRIDGE Maths?! GYG 2017! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  coollogo_com-30901245.png
Views: 221
Size:  33.4 KB
    Hello there!

My name is Mark and I'm here to take part in the GYG diaries this year! This will hopefully motivate you and I to get the best grades possible! Let's go!

A little about myself-
    Pretty typical Hong Kong kid, I live in the UK though. I'm 16 years old (a year 12 student). You already know that I'd love to read Maths at Cambridge! However I am always doubting my own ability to achieve this, haha. I love to solve Rubik's cubes as fast as possible, a hobby called 'speedcubing', and I'm pretty serious about playing table tennis too! I used to play the violin, and I might pick it up again soon!My favourite player currently is probably Fan Zhendong! I hold the belief that you should pursue only a few hobbies and master them to a competitive/champion level.

(Fan Zhendong under the net table roller shot. Perfection.)

Academic goals this year, starting with highest priority-
    1- Get 700/700 UMS (or as close possible!) on my OCR maths exams.
    I will be doing C1, C2, C3, S1, FP1, M1 and D1. By achieving this I'll most likely get an A* A level prediction for both Maths and Further-maths.This will hopefully lead to that desired conditional offer!

2- Achieve an A* A level prediction for Chemistry. This is the new spec (H032) and my school will be giving me internal exams at the end of this academic year.

3- Achieve an A A level prediction for Economics.(H060/H460) I'm not very good at economics but it's interesting! Internal exams will also be given at the end of this academic year.

Academic goals next year, starting with highest priority-
    1- Achieve my desired predicted grades! Gotta smash maths and further- maths though!

2- Get as good at the STEP papers as possible for that conditional offer! I've started looking at Siklos' STEP booklet which was my first step of preparation (Bad pun completely forced :P). I'm not sure which college I want to apply for at Cambridge yet because I don't think I stand a chance going for Trinity, but we'll see. I'd be happy at any Cambridge college

Oh and by the way I like to watch My Little Pony! Yes I'm a Brony!

books books books books books books books books

GCSE Grades-
    Year 9-
    1- Humanities- A

Year 10-
    2- Core Science- A
    3- Mandarin- A
    4- Maths- A*

Year 11-
    5- General Studies- A
    6- German- A
    7- Graphics- A
    8- Religious Studies- A
    9- Statistics- A*
    10- Business Studies- A*
    11- Computer Science- A*
    12- Additional Science- A*
    13- English Literature- A*
    14- English Language- A*

So, 7A*s and 7As.(Yes 14 GCSEs ) Fairly disappointed now seeing as I was being pretty lazy! I thought this was OK at first but seeing everyone at my new school makes me feel inferior, but it does motivate me! I've always questioned how smart I am, because at times I feel REALLY stupid... and at other times I just feel stupid!
    EDIT- Not even furthermaths GCSE, I know, I know... My old school made us all do stats GCSE!

Extracurricular Goals-
    1- Become National Champion at Rubik's Cube speedsolving. I average around 9 seconds at 3x3x3 and if I can push this down to 8 seconds in the next few months then I'll be in good stead to become 1st! Even if I don't get 1st place, this journey exploring the 3x3x3 was awesome anyway... I might even try to use a different solving method or make my own, who knows.

Above is a GIF of the former world record for the 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube 5.25 seconds by Collin Burns. The current world record is 4.73 seconds. At home I've done it in 4.20 seconds before!

2- Organise my own Rubik's Cube competition. I think this will look sick on my UCAS application, not to mention I'll get to attend another competition to get some good times. :P

3- Complete the organisation of a Hackathon some friends and I are organising! Again, this will look great on my UCAS application! Here is a link to the main page. https://hackreading.github.io/ It is a work in progress though! Tomorrow we will be pitching our hackathon to our largest potential sponsor- Microsoft!

4- I'd like to start playing the violin again, but this goal is still up in the air at the moment. I haven't completed weighing up the pros and cons of investing my time here...

My Weaknesses-
    I see myself as arrogant, self righteous, narrow minded, and worst of all, lazy.
    My ability to procrastinate is... pretty good . But I guess if I was EXTREMELY lazy then you wouldn't be reading this post right now, haha.

Summary/Edits-
    Sorry, because I've probably spent more time talking about extracurricular activities rather than growing my actual grades, but I believe they can be just as important to securing your dreams! I'm very passionate about my hobbies!
    I haven't actually posted my own discussion thread on this site before. It might not look very pretty currently, and I'll probably edit this here and there, in addition to future edits in the long term. In the future I would like to post about my revision techniques, how I keep my room squeaky clean tidy, and other cool things I'd like to share! Also, if you guys have any tips about not being lazy and improving mental strength I'd be ecstatic for you to share them with me. Have I missed anything...?

I hope you enjoyed reading this, if this wasn't completely boring!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 1.2.17.

ETA 104 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it.
    – Mae West

What did I do today / over the past few days?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Today some friends and I went to the Microsoft building in Reading to pitch the idea for our Hackathon that we're organising. Won't talk too much about that, but the venue was really amazing and I think it went well. I full-marked in 2 small chemistry tests today. Tonight I will complete the C3 product chain and quotient rule homework due tomorrow. I couldn't do it over the past few days because I'm so busy!

What will I try to do tomorrow / over the next few days?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I must revise for the FP1 exam after the half term break. I must get 100 UMS in this exam. I need to consolidate and write my notes for module 4! Luckily I am in contact with a NatSci Cambridge offer holder so that's always convenient I guess!

Miscellaneous Ideas-
    Spoiler:
    Show

Perhaps I will upload a video of me doing an average of 12 3x3x3 solves every time I post here.
    This will likely be the main format I will do each diary entry but it's still a work in progress so there will likely be changes in the way I write this out. Apologies for any inconsistency.

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Went to Microsoft Reading HQ to pitch the idea for our Hackathon!!! It went AWESOMELY!
    Talking to a NatSci Cambridge offer holder is USEFUL!

Thank you for the time you have spent reading this. I pray it was a good investment.

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 2.2.17.

ETA 103 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Entrepreneurship is a combination of passion, vision, creativity and a sense of adventure. – Sir Richard Branson

Spoiler:
    Show

I did extremely poorly in an economics practice question in class today. My economics knowledge is very bad. Holes everywhere. I might get an economics tutor, and I'm also contemplating whether or not to get good at economics by focusing more on the spec itself or round my knowledge out to understand economics more as a whole. The C3 homework was not taken in today so I will hand it in tomorrow but I'll first rewrite it.

Spoiler:
    Show

Liaise with my economics mentor for regular meetings, weigh up the pros and cons of getting an economics tutor, and plan out how to do these posts more efficiently! I'd also like to get a study timetable, and seeing someone's posts about STEP, I'd like to re-edit the front page for this blog with the stats for my past paper attempts, for all my subjects, not just for STEP prep.

Miscellaneous Ideas-
    Spoiler:
    Show

Soon I will post pictures of my room (study area) and hopefully you'll be surprised by the squeaky-clean nature of it! I even have a whiteboard! I'll hopefully do this soon, maybe even tomorrow.
    This will likely be the main format I will do each diary entry but it's still a work in progress so there will likely be changes in the way I write this out. Apologies for any inconsistency.

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Bad at economics, get a mentor, Mark, maybe even a tutor.
    Ooh, study timetable?
    Work out how many papers you should be doing each day!

Thank you for the time you have spent reading this. I pray it was a good investment.

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 3.2.17.

ETA 102 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.
    – Aristotle

Spoiler:
    Show

Finalising the arrangements for my trip to the Marshall Economics Conference at Cambridge tomorrow. In Further maths, we learnt about new trig identities- sec, cosec and cot, and all the mathematic techniques we'd be required to use (for C3). Maths was just completing a sheet in the class and I didn't have any problem doing so. In economics, we covered all the types of efficiency as well as economies of scale, which I do not fully understand yet, but I will revise these on Sunday since for most of Saturday I will be at the Cambridge Conference. (I have to wake up at 5 am tomorrow to get there!)

Spoiler:
    Show

Sweat out some past papers, especially FP1 since our retest will be after the half term. Other than that, ah yes, I remember I must make the study timetable and edit the front page of the blog.

Miscellaneous Ideas/Stuff-
    Spoiler:
    Show

The hackathon is really taking off. One of our team members just found out of another hackathon taking place and she has contact with them so we can get a lot of advice on how to run ours.

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Hackathon tactics are taking off. Lots of work still need to be done though.
    Cambridge tomorrow! I REALLY NEED TO GET TO SLEEP RIGHT NOW.
    FP1 test looms over the horizon...

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Whiteboard with some STEP practice, PC, printer etc!
    Name:  DSC_0306[1].jpg
Views: 224
Size:  486.6 KB

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Folders for everything. By the way my A level choices are Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Economics.
    ( I know, not even mathsfurthermathsbiologychemistr yphysics, otherwise known as the ASIAN FIVE!)
    A4 ring binders for C1, C2, C3, FP1, M1, D1 and S1. (my maths exams this year)
    A4 lever arch files for economics, 1 for microeconomics and 1 for macroeconomics.
    And... only an A4 ring binder for AS chemistry? I should replace it with a lever arch file. Sorry about your necks! xD
    Name:  DSC_0308[1].jpg
Views: 230
Size:  494.3 KB

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and just for fun, here's my cube collection!

Name:  DSC_0309[1].jpg
Views: 231
Size:  490.4 KB

Most of these are worn out... I bought 2 Valk3 3x3x3s and I'm going to apply the magnet modification to them, can't wait! Hopefully, this lightens the GYG mood a little

ReputationRep:
    One more quick snap of my chemistry folder...

Name:  DSC_0310[1].jpg
Views: 231
Size:  498.8 KB
    Wow. Tomorrow I'm gonna get to the Cambridge Conference and I'll be half asleep. I guess I can sleep in the car...

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 5.2.17.

ETA 100 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Whatever you are, be a good one.
    – Abraham Lincoln

Spoiler:
    Show

The Marshall Economics conference at the Cambridge Union was pretty good. There were definitely many parts that went straight over my head but I now have a better insight to what economics really is. These days certainly are exciting times to be studying it! I got home pretty late and so I wasn't very productive today, but there isn't really any excuse. I cubed a lot today, so I guess this practice helped, but not going to lie, I haven't even picked up a textbook or anything today. Over the next few hours I'll study though! These little periods of inactivity has to stop. Also over the next few hours I'll try to get spreadsheet/table of past papers on the front page of the blog.

Spoiler:
    Show

I need to find a way to keep myself motivated, be it through constant music or some way to get me emotionally pumped. In other news, I'm going to get a lever arch file for my chemistry notes because the ring binder just isn't doing it, and I'll hopefully get more printer paper and maybe even the D1 and M1 textbook. Not sure I'll need M1 since my class started M1 2 weeks ago and we've gone through it really quickly!

Spoiler:
    Show

Hopes about the violin restarting don't seem to be surfacing, I think I'd rather put more time into maths and somehow take what I already know from speedcubing, and make another thing out of it. Since many people play instruments, and although that isn't a bad thing, and I've already tried doing so, perhaps making a speedcubing youtube channel or website could be a good thing for me as a person, not to mention getting that SICK UCAS application!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Cambridge Economics conference, confusing yet interesting.
    Buying stationery n stuff.
    Emotion->Motivation->Power?
    Speedcubing channel/website > Violin continuation?

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 7.2.17.

ETA 98 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.
    – Warren Buffett

Spoiler:
    Show

Today I signed up for phase 2 of 'future stories', a programme dedicated to teaching primary students maths and english. This is great as it shows commitment. This is perhaps, for me, a substitute to going to care homes or other voluntary work that requires commitment and this is convenient to me since this programme was given easy access for us boys at Reading School. For the halfway-through-year12 prediction I got an A for Chemistry which I think simply isn't good enough. I'm find chemistry fairly easy at the moment and I think I just need more practice. The axioms for chemistry help with a lot of the concept understanding and the textbook is amazing. In comparison to economics, a messier subject whereby there is no good OCR catered textbook! Besides, that's off topic... I also scored 15/18 on a chemistry test today, silly mistakes.

Spoiler:
    Show

There is a microeconomics test this Thursday. My teachers are not confident in my economics ability and I'd be surprised if they predict me a B. Yes I'm that bad at econ right now... I must revise over the next 2 days and my target is 75% or higher. I will invest a larger proportion of my time to economics. Just a protip here- be careful about what you choose for your A level subjects. If you do 3-4 subjects I would honestly advise to do 5, then drop subjects according if you don't like them, since it's easier to drop a subject rather than take it.

Spoiler:
    Show

My friends and I are organising a weekly study session, perhaps even biweekly study sessions in the local library. Also, I've got the spreadsheet up for my maths past paper completion now! Fun fact- for OCR maths, if you haven't done any papers at all, if you do 1.5 papers every day you'll finish just in time before the C1 exam! (given that you do 7 modules this year, which many do not)

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Chem A prediction. Bad.
    Microecon test this Thursday! Eek!
    Is it easier to drop a subject than to take a new one on? I believe so.
    A paper a day keeps <700 UMS away!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 12.2.17.

ETA 93 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where
    you start.
    – Nido Qubein

Spoiler:
    Show

I almost got complete crushed by a C3 question, don't know how. I just wasn't feeling it. I spent an hour or so starting at one question and due to my stubborn nature I didn't want help in completing it. It turned out to require application of another topic from the module which I should've known but it didn't click. At least I understood it in the end. By now I'm sure that economics is a very messy subject. There's A LOT to learn. I said that my goal would be to get at least an A and that's what I'll do- many economists in my year who are scoring top marks are very well read on what's going on in currently in our world, news wise and economics wise, and I just don't have that motivation. For me economics is the MOST difficult subject I've read about and the method I'm gonna get good at it is by sticking 100% to the course. (This is the same with chemistry, and compared to maths, which I read externally about.) I scored 18/26 on a written test and 7/10 in a multiple choice test which compared to the other guys in the class- is REALLY bad. My street cred in my econ class is bad. But... Rule 21... If anyone understands what I'm referencing :P

Spoiler:
    Show

FP1 practice test went horribly so I'll be doing more papers during this half term to get myself back on track. I will also print off the tutor2u economics booklets for macro and micro. It'll need a lot of paper and I plan to put each of them in a 100 sheet display booklet but at the end of year 13 I'll be able to sell them hopefully like my other textbooks...

Spoiler:
    Show

I'm contemplating creating my own rubik's cube method or reading up about ZZ and editing that method to make it better than Roux. If anyone understands rubik's cube lingo then you should talk to me I do recommend speedcubing as a hobby though! It's really fun and makes you look smart.

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    GOALS THIS HALF TERM-
    DO 10 FP1 PAPERS! HENCH
    CLEAN UP AND REVISE ECONOMICS NOTES!
    WRITE AND REVISE CHEM NOTES, AND DO PRACTICE QUESTIONS UP TO THE END OF ALCOHOLS!
    FINISH M1 FRICTION HOMEWORK!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 18.2.17.

ETA 87 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
    – Jimmy Dean

Spoiler:
    Show

Not going to lie, I was extrememly lazy over this half term. I spent most of my time just cubing. The upside is that I've gotten slightly quicker and my technique is less sloppy, so I have more confidence to enter the national championships. I broke myself last Friday trying to finish a simple C3 question that I simply couldn't understand... It was just one of those questions you get stuck on but when you get the answer you feel so dumb. I spent 3 hours(ish) on that. So I proceeded into the half term with a crushed spirit. However, I'm recovering (better late than never) and so I have today and tomorrow to GET. SOME. WORK. DONE.
    By the way I got an AAAB prediction for my school's midyear grade prediction. Although it doesn't count to anything it's PRETTY TERRIBLE. I have to work harder. I lack a lot of motivation currently but I will have to summon it today and tomorrow.

Spoiler:
    Show

For the rest of today I have to finish the M1 Friction homework and I'm begging myself to complete AT LEAST 1 FP1 paper by the end of today. Or do a lot of practice questions.

Spoiler:
    Show

If I'm not lazy, I might post a picture/link of my past paper spreadsheet checklist, and keep that updated... Cambridge seems hella far away from reach...

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    By now I'm pretty sure that everyone hates my blog. I look around and see someone starting their GYG blog and after the first day, everyone's showering them with support. I really do hope there's nothing wrong with my blog so far! If so, please tell me what I'm doing wrong...

//Mark
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi, best of luck for your upcoming exams and revision!
    Your predicted grades are still great- they are not terrible! I've also found that teacher predictions are not very accurate... my grades have always been under-predicted .
    C3 is a savage module.. I've heard that it requires lots of practice!

Ps you're not doing anything wrong with your blog!

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 20.2.17.

ETA 85 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

You can’t turn back the clock. But you can wind it up again.
    – Bonnie Prudden

Spoiler:
    Show

I printed off all the FP1 papers from 2007 to 2015 today and I did only one of them. Other than that, in maths today our class covered the friction homework sheet, which I had completed, but forgot to put in my bag when I left for school. But, luckily because I get to school pretty early, I did the homework again just in time for the lesson. I guess that effort was in good intention although my teacher didn't actually take in the sheet... In chemistry today we looked at haloalkanes, the three methods of making them and the methods of identifying them, luckily we didn't move past that, because I'm still quite far behind on my chemistry revision! And finally in economics today we started off looking at unemployment, which seems like a fairly trivial topic.
    Now I'm going to find emails for potential sponsors for the HackReading to hand in to my team leader. I will contact them via email this Saturday.

Spoiler:
    Show

I will have to focus on the FP1 papers as my class has an FP1 mock retake this Friday! I will be happy with 90+ UMS, but with my current lack of practice that doesn't seem likely. But, deadline motivation, peer pressure, etc. seems to be working for me! Altough these aren't the healthiest of motivation tools...
    Tomorrow after school I will be taking part in a school programme called 'Future Stories' that takes sixth formers from our school to teach year 6ers from primary schools maths and english! This should be pretty fun

Spoiler:
    Show

Youtube Channel is likely to be up soon! I'll make the videos so that only people with the link can see them, and this will be for the TSR talent progress diary competition.
    My hackathon organisation team were tasked with finding 5 potential sponsors each and I chose Corsair, Razer, Steelseries, Roccat and CM Storm. If just one gaming peripheral company chooses one of our sponsorship packages it'll prodide a great incentive for hackers to come along!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP 1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1FP1
    Youtube Channel for speedcubing, TSR's got talent.
    Sponsorship packages for hackathon!
    Future Stories- Teaching Year 6 Students Maths and English after school!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Small update- From now on I may end up revising at least once every week at Reading University after school! The revision resources and study areas in the main library are really nice!

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 27.2.17.

ETA 78 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

If you’re going through hell, keep going.
    – Winston Churchill

Spoiler:
    Show

Gonna keep this short- Read over the 2 chapters in the OCR Chem textbook for alcohols and skimmed over IR spectroscopy. I understand the principles and can now do a full AS Chem paper, albeit to an unacceptable standard! Revision and writing my notes again into my folder is required. In maths, M1 is now complete. A test in class is likely to happen so I will have to do some past papers for that and hopefully be more prepared than my FP1! We started D1 now, in the maths classes. I learnt about the illusion of preparation- how you can destroy an exam paper at home but during a real thing, in class, under pressure, the defecit between your marks at home and in class can be a massive difference. It's up to me to get more conistent, as my maths teacher said something along the lines of- amateurs practice until they get it right, professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
    Furthermaths is going swimmingly (we're doing C3 in our furthermaths classes) and we should be finished fairly soon. As for the hackathon, I've contacted VenomUK and hope to be hear a reply from them soon.

Spoiler:
    Show

Highlight my textbook whilst reading over it, make notes on chem. Liaise with econ teachers about resources and perhaps a private tutor, since my weakest subject is econ. Future stories phase 2 starts tomorrow, which will be fun teaching younger students.

Spoiler:
    Show

I got an 8.44 average of 12 on the 3x3x3 and a 7.816 average of 5 within that average of 12. I hope to get my Youtube channel up and running soon and post these videos on TSR's got talent. Hopefully this will be good motivation for cubing to get my to improve and learn new things!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Youtube Channel for speedcubing, TSR's got talent, 8.44 seconds 3x3x3 average of 12 done! Need to upload it now...
    Sponsorship packages for hackathon! VenomUK?!
    Future Stories- Teaching Year 6 Students Maths and English after school, tomorrow!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    My first TSR's Got Talent post is now up! I've been pretty swamped over the past few days but I promise that you'll see a GYG post tomorrow (if some of you aren't bored to death already) See my cubing video here-

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 01.03.17.

ETA 76 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
    – Jim Rohn

Spoiler:
    Show

Revised for an economics mini test- Involving market failure and externalities. I'm not expecting to do very well at all.
    First D1 assignment went pretty well, can't complain. I expect our class to finish D1 very quickly! First M1 paper handed into class went decently also.

Spoiler:
    Show

I need to remind myself that keeping the revision different all the time and changing it up helps!

Spoiler:
    Show

My computer is going to shut down in 30 seconds. Bye!!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Please take a look at my TSR's got talent entry, thanks!
    Gotta keep the revision fresh and should always do some of each of my subjects every day.
    Let's go one maths paper every day? At least...

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 05.03.17.

ETA 72 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later.
    – Og Mandino

Spoiler:
    Show

Firstly, sorry about the abruptly ended post in my last update. My computer shuts itself down at 10:00 and I wanted to get a post out but I didn't budget my time well! Nevertheless, I wrote out 5 pages of chemistry notes today but yesterday wasn't very productive and today wasn't either... I'm getting bursts of motivation (as many of us do) but find a lacking of it throughout the day. If anyone has any advice, that'd be awesome! In the economics test this Thursday, I got a 27/33 which was decent but it was fairly easy and I made many silly mistaks. I'm finding economics easier now. In chem we've 'finished' the AS course but to be honest, I don't feel as if we've covered the last few topics very well, which was why I wrote those notes out.

Spoiler:
    Show

Tomorrow I am taking a TSA practice test! I'm one of the luckier students, as I signed up to take one of the 30 slots available for the practice test but my grades weren't good enough- with a half-way year prediction of AAAB (Not good enough to get into Cambridge lol although this isn't fixed and doesn't count towards anything) and 7A*s and 7As. Yes the standards are high!
    I will have to catch up on chem notes next week and get some practice in. I feel improvement in economics but I also need to rewrite my notes, especially because I feel that economics is a very messy subject. I will email my teachers about the powerpoints and look over them again.
    Future stories day 2 is happening on Tuesday and it should be very fun!

Spoiler:
    Show

Cubing channel is up! Go see it pleaaaaaaaaase!
    I need to make another post on TSR's got talent.
    After having a chat with a friend of mine's parents, I have taken to the idea of relearning violin with open arms and I want this to happen as quickly as possible! They have also agreed to notify me of any extracurricular events that I should be taking part in to make my UCAS look amazing!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    TSA practice test tomorrow!!! I'm the worst student of the 30 that were entered, but let's give it a shot!
    Rewrite notes + get lots of practice in!
    Taking up Violin again!
    My subjects feel rounded out now
    TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 12.03.17.

ETA 65 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit.
    – Bern Williams

Spoiler:
    Show

The TSA practice test went OK, but considering it was my first, it probably went worse than expected. I think one of the reasons why my year 12 cohort was offered to do the practice test is because I remember someone mentioning that the results from our year are compared to the average first year Cambridge undergraduate.
    The 2nd week of Future Stories was this Tuesday, and since my year 13 compatriots were absent, I was given the opportunity to lead the class and teach the young primary school students. They are very talented and since they have to take entrance tests to enter Reading School and Kendrick School (since the point of Future Stories is to prepare for these tests) these sessions are actually quite important to the future of these year 6 students!
    My class in economics is behind the other classes and it's time to get back up to speed. My understanding of economics definitely feels much better and it's showing in some of the classwork and my engagement with the class, which is great!
    In maths and furthermaths, we've finished C3 now and all that's left is the simplex algorithm in D1 and we've completed our 7 maths modules for this year.

Spoiler:
    Show

Rack up the past papers, do them, fill out the spreadsheet and bam- get that 700/700 by the end of this year. This is my main goal and I MUST complete it. Yesterday I sorted out my folders properly so revising is easier than ever before. It's all about heaving my heavy, oh so heavy arms to pick them up and revise from them!

Spoiler:
    Show

My phone got waterdamaged last week and I'm getting it repaired so I will likely get it back next week. This is why there hasn't been any more cubing videos on my channel.
    Hehe I'm doing something mysterious to make my UCAS awesome... More on that sometime in the future!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    TSA practice test went OK I guess :P
    Past paper spreadsheet needs to get going a little faster!!!
    Future stories is fun!
    UCAS application needs to be chock full óf experiences, with things I've done.
    Phone water damaged RIP

//Mark

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.