Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Road to CAMBRIDGE Maths?! GYG 2017! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year mathmo at Cambridge. Shoot me any questions about the course, if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have the goal to get into Cambridge as well! Of course, my A-level grades don't yet reflect that - chemistry is not fun! Though, I will be needing it for Archaeology. I'm here to wish you luck and the spirit of scholarship.

Have fun, Holly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZealousMX)
    My first TSR's Got Talent post is now up! I've been pretty swamped over the past few days but I promise that you'll see a GYG post tomorrow (if some of you aren't bored to death already) See my cubing video here-

//Mark
    Wow! Impressive! How long did it take you to learn to do it at such a speed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'm a first year mathmo at Cambridge. Shoot me any questions about the course, if you want.
    What did you get in your maths modules in terms of marks, if you can remember? Also, what do you think the best method of revision is in order to obtain full marks in mathematics, specifically C1C2S1? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
    What did you get in your maths modules in terms of marks, if you can remember? Also, what do you think the best method of revision is in order to obtain full marks in mathematics, specifically C1C2S1? Thanks in advance.
    I don't think someone elses thread is the best place to ask me stuff like this...

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 23.3.17.

ETA 54 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
    – Vince Lombardi

What did I do today / over the past few days?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oh my God... I haven't updated in so long. The past week or so have been taxing on me as I've had quite a few class tests, a few on which I've completely messed up. It's now or never- I really have to hammer the past papers in all my subjects and get everything perfect, and to be honest you could argue that it's already too late to be properly preparing for that 700/700 in maths... However I will try my best. Chemistry seems to be going swimmingly as the past 2 tests for it have gone OK, but still needs more practice. In macroeconomics we've finished international trade and now we're on balance of payments and in micro we've completed market failure and externalities and we should be beginning a new topic tomorrow. I did an M1 test today in class and boy oh boy was I terrible. My teacher is marking it tomorrow and I'll be lucky to get over 60 UMS. This IS NOT THE MARK OF A POTENTIAL CAMBRIDGE STUDENT so I HAVE to get my act together. I feel very pressured and stressed while feeling as if I can't relax, as otherwise I'd lose pace on by studies... Does anyone else feel that?

What will I try to do tomorrow / over the next few days?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Over the next 54 days, THIS IS IT. I aim to do at least 1 past paper a day, if not 2, and in doing so, attempt to get fast enough at them to both score well, and take little time in doing so. The past paper spreadsheet currently is looking fairly bare but I will have to fill it.
    I'm thinking of (quickly) forming a study group so that most days after school we can do work and help each other, this will be at a library in town. How do study groups work for you guys? ( If anyone's reading this...) By the end of today I will have completed my notes on Alcohols and Synthetic routes, and finished watching the videos about international trade on EZYeconomics.

Miscellaneous Ideas/Stuff-
    Spoiler:
    Show

The hackathon is going fine and we seem to be on schedule, and I'm wondering how else I can add to it.
    Also, my phone got bricked, which can be seen as both good/bad I guess. May get a backup phone just in case???
    Nothing else to add...
    But I am feeling depressed. No need to pity me though.

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Today I got killed by an M1
    It's definitely time to just do work and get on
    Recently my phone got bricked
    Do a maths paper a day or I'll get kicked
    (from the maths set)
    Really now, there isn't much time
    I don't have another rhyme

Thank you for the time you have spent reading this. I pray it was a good investment.

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 4.4.17.

ETA 42 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.
    – Confucius

Spoiler:
    Show

I've been really swamped again over the past week. Here we go.-

Revised for a C3 test and an S1 test, both went terribly. I was so scared during these tests, even the two people who sat next to me in the C3 told me that they could feel me stressing out and rushing the paper...
    C3- 61 UMS...
    S1- 71 UMS...
    This is clearly not the mark of a Cambridge hopeful. I'd give some excuse right now but I don't have one. I'm quite frankly embarassed at the name I've given this thread... I also deserve to be called out for this terrible work.

Chemistry- Had a Breadth and Depth test, both of which I did not revise for because of the C3 and S1.
    Breadth- 50/70
    Depth- 51/70
    Considering no revision, and the breadth test came out of nowhere, I felt as though these scores are fairly decent.

In economics, this is the only subject of which I haven't completed the course so far. We've managed to complete, in macroeconomics, international trade and balance of payments, and we're now on exchange rates. In microeconomics, we've completed externalities, market failure, asymmetric information, and pretty much completed government intervention. I'm feeling fairly chill about economics right now.

Spoiler:
    Show

I will have to focus on my weakest areas in Maths- my weakest subject at the moment- funny considering I want to study it at uni...
    M1- overall needs a fair amount of work and practice.
    D1- linear programming and the unseen algorithm questions are tricky for me and need practice.
    S1- accuracy & perms and comms. Perms and comms definitely feels like a topic whereby once you get enough practice in, it just clicks and then you can suddenly do a lot of questions faster and easier than before.
    FP1- roots of polynomials!
    C3- trigonometry, and other than that I'm surprisingly quite happy this module. Yes, yes, my score definitely doesn't reflect that but I knew all the techniques, applied them, but mostly numerical errors made me stumble, and I carried over the wrong answers!
    Overall in maths- I need to consider the different techniques of getting to the same answer, for example, finding a minimum point on a quadratic, you could set dy/dx to 0 and solve, complete the square, find the x value of the midpoint of the roots, and probably a few other methods.
    I also need to maintain my train of thought, and remember that some most of the modules I'm doing assume knowldege of C1 and C2 so that I'll have to apply techniques from them too. I keep getting subconsciously stuck into the mindset that each module has its own techniques and that's it, but obviously that isn't the case. I need to consciously acknowledge the many techniques of obtaining the answers!

Spoiler:
    Show

I got a new phone for free because my previous one got waterdamaged, so I should FINALLY get posting a new video on the TSR's got talent page.
    I volunteered to help out in the maths intelligence groups (MIG)next year, which should be fun!
    I will be going to the Cambridge maths taster session this...Saturday? Should be really fun!

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Breathe Mark, breathe.
    My maths is weak, but I'm feeling fine with everything else at the moment.
    New phone- should get a cubing video out by this weekend maybe.

Thank you for the time you have spent reading this. I pray it was a good investment.

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Omg Reading and Kendrick school? I go to a school in that area! I also have the dream to go to Cambridge to study maths but I have serious doubts about my ability :/ Also when I decided my A level options I had no idea I wanted to do maths at uni so stupidly didn't take further maths >:C (which means I'm planning on taking AS next year in year 13) Gah the struggle... anyway, I've always admired people who can solve rubiks cubes so quickly good luck with your goals and I'm sure you'll get there with the determination you have!

ReputationRep:
    Captain's log. Stardate 25.04.17.

THE STORM IS ABOUT TO COME!

ETA 21 Days until my first maths exam- C1.

Quote of the Day-

After a storm comes a calm.
    – Matthew Henry.

Spoiler:
    Show

Last Sunday I went to Sheffield to film for an advert for Huawei that involved doing awesome things one handed- Of course, I went there to do solving Rubik's Cubes one handed! This kinda stuff will be great for my personal statement.
    I did approximately 20+ past papers over the easter break. I know this isn't too much, but at the same time it isn't too little, I will have to press on the gas for papers these next 2 months though! As for Chem, I didn't do much practice as I am quite confident in it, and in Economics, I was working through the Ezyeconomics module videos, writing notes on them, and doing the assesments. I am feeling strong for economics right now, and in good stead to get my self target of an A this year. Everything else seems right on track.

Spoiler:
    Show

FP1 mock exam in class and D1 mock exam this week, and I will endeavour to make an impeccable 6th impression to my teacher... In all seriousness, my FP1 is quite strong and D1 for me just requires practice, to which I will complete some more papers for!
    What else can I say? I will just keep the revision train chugging, and I must remind myself to do a variety of revision each day and keep the revision EFFECTIVE.

Spoiler:
    Show

Cubing channel will have to go on hold!
    London Open 2017 maybe, and World Championships is a must!
    My cubing definitely feels a lot faster now...
    I got a 7 second average of 12 on my channel which is great, albeit a 7.99 one. xD

KEY SUMMARY!!!-
    Oh please ACCEPT ME FOR MATHS SUMMER SCHOOL AT CAMBRIDGE!
    I did an advert for Huawei that will hopefully be up online next week!
    The posts after this, to save time, will hopefully be in a shorter format showing what I've done papers wise, etc.

//Mark

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2313.PNG
Views: 127
Size:  8.3 KB
    Please don't roast me, some of my scores are terrible... I will endeavour to do them again once I feel comfortable with my technique! I must show that I'm not afraid to show my scores, and work to perfect them.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2314.PNG
Views: 124
Size:  14.1 KB
    Full marked an economics multiple choice yesterday
    Finished an FP1 class test today with 25 minutes to spare after already checking it over, handed it in early like a cocky twit, made 2 mistakes and lost 7 UMS. Nice going, Mark!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2315.PNG
Views: 123
Size:  13.2 KB
    Definitely not a very productive 3 days but now I've constructed a plan and although I haven't done much, things are still flowing smoothly. I definitely perform better during weekdays than weekends! On the weekends I feel as if I have too much time so I waste it easily...

ReputationRep:
    Name:  18261315_1407215189321605_2082497284_o.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  99.7 KB
    Today's haul. I trust myself to find this kind of mistakes in the exam... if they happen! :P
    I need to remind myself that mistakes can be everywhere, and nowhere- so check with caution!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  18339238_1408048305904960_608851185_o.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  127.3 KB Managed to do 5 papers today! I have a C2 test tomorrow, as you can tell
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Name:  s.PNG
Views: 107
Size:  11.9 KB
    Looking very complete. Time to move onto Solomon/Delphis C1 OCR to ensure that I don't get screwed over. I'm honestly more confident about FP1 and C2 than C1!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.