Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Noob's Journey of strength! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started the gym today! Well... when I say started it was more of a tour of the machines and just learning how everything works. I didn't start my proper workout today, but what I can say is my triceps and biceps are aching just from having a go at the machines that the instructor made me do. Another thing to mention is I'm not the strongest at all, especially for my height. A lot of the machines I used were below 20kg and under, max 25kg at the start. At least now I've been shown round and can begin full workout this Thursday.

So here begins a noobs journey into getting strong and lean. To keep things simple, I will be following the Stronglift 5x5 programme to start out with. When I feel the time is right, I may consider incorporating the extra exercises in ICF into my programme (essentially transferring to the ICF 5x5 programme).
    My aim after every workout is to add a 2.5kg increase to the weight, except for deadlifts which will go up by 5kg. I hope I don't deload too early . I was quite shocked at my strength, but I always did know I wasn't the strongest.

Weight: 79 Kilos (12.4 Stone)
    Height: 6ft 3

Thursday:
    Squat 5x5 (20kg)
    Bench Press 5x5 (20kg)
    Barbell Row 5x5 (30kg)

I'll try to update the OP and add posts as much as possible. I'm hoping this blog will increase my willpower for seeing things through!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.

Stronglifts is a great program for beginners. Make sure your form is correct, eat enough and in no time you'll be making great gains.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Currently going through what I believe to be called as 'DOMS' from a simple induction workout Tuesday. My triceps, biceps, shoulders and top back are aching a lot! I can't really move my arms above my head without feeling a lot of discomfort and a greater ache. I have never touched a weight before and so this is the first time I have really put my muscles under strenuous exercise.

I was wondering whether it would be okay to continue the program Thursday? Is it No Pain no gain? Currently I am aching like mad and I get the feeling I'll be aching all day tomorrow, so am I right with the assumption that it is ok to exercise through DOMS? Does exercising through it remove it temporarily while doing exercise?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Studento)
    Currently going through what I believe to be called as 'DOMS' from a simple induction workout Tuesday. My triceps, biceps, shoulders and top back are aching a lot! I can't really move my arms above my head without feeling a lot of discomfort and a greater ache. I have never touched a weight before and so this is the first time I have really put my muscles under strenuous exercise.

I was wondering whether it would be okay to continue the program Thursday? Is it No Pain no gain? Currently I am aching like mad and I get the feeling I'll be aching all day tomorrow, so am I right with the assumption that it is ok to exercise through DOMS? Does exercising through it remove it temporarily while doing exercise?
    In for your blog, good luck

No pain no gain is a stupid phrase imo.

DOMS are nothing to worry about however. I'd go light next Thursday and see how it feels. You won't do much harm by training.

Doms can be sickening.

Stretch, (buy a foam roller for future) and just gentle exercise say brisk walking.

You'll live!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studento)

Yeah you're good to continue. DOMS is largely a beginner thing (mainly goes away after a few weeks) or if you're doing a highly novel exercise compared to your usual and can feel crippling and lasts much longer as a beginner than the time you actually need to recover from the last workout- shouldn't really affect your strength once you warm up through it!

ReputationRep:
    Well I did my first workout SL workout 5x5 with a few of the ICF exercises added in (had excess time). To be honest I felt a little bit of embarrassment at first because I am having to lift light, with some of the exercises being a bit of a challenge. Squatting was relatively easy though.I keep telling myself we all have to start from somewhere and I can only go up from here! I feel I am doing the barbell rows wrong though. I tried to mimic the stance without weight in the mirror, but I'm struggling at understanding how arched my back should be along with how much I need to bend my knees.

I will add 2.5kg next workout to everything, but I don't think I'll find myself rapidly advancing at 30kg per month unless I make some serious gains

Question:
    After doing some research I'm under the impression that in order to gain muscle mass from working out I need to eat 1g per lb of bodyweight. So I'd be looking at 174g protein a day. This seems a lot to what I normally eat and I wasn't sure the best way to go about. If I eat 6 times a day, each meal would have to have at least 29g of protein in. Unfortunately, I don't know if I have a lot in my fridge that could help me reach that . I got the simple stuff like sardines, tuna, eggs, milk, Whey protein, baked beans?, ham etc, but not a lot. I'm not responsible for the family shop but can I make enough out of these simple ingredients, or am I going to have to start buying for my own meals from now on?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Read the FAQ, that will answer your question re protein intake.
    You DO NOT need that amount of protein (1g per lb of bw)

Studies show around 0.7-0.8 to be sufficient.

So 120g plus would be fine. I make sure i'm above 100g as a bare minumum.

You don't need whey but it's cheap and a top source of protein. 1/2 scoops a day and then all you'll need is 80/90g from 3 normal meals (i actually have 2 big meals usually - lunch and dinner).
    I love milk so that helps me hit protein targets.

Hope that helps. You don't need to eat 500 meals a day bro, it's largely nonsense re pre and post workout meals

ReputationRep:
    Workout Number 2:
    Benchpress - 22.5kg (I think the bar itself was 15kg) - Successful
    Squat - 22.5kg - Successful
    Bent over Row - 30kg, failed, I think this was primarily down to technique and it being slightly heavy. I tried it with just the bar and my techniques seems completely wrong still. Would using the row machine do the same job?
    Overhead Press - It's embarassing but I couldn't even overhead press the bar once. I had to resort to use a straight bar of 10kg which I must admit I did find relatively easy to do 5 reps of so I just maxed out. Would it be better to move to dumbells before doing the barbell?
    Incline curls - successful, I might try to up the weight next time
    Cable Crunch machine - 35kg-40kg. Almost too easy. I'll have to research more on my technique as I think as I was pulling more with my arms than my back.

That's all I had time for as I was on a split shift and had to get back to work soon after. It is a bit intimidating and embarrassing struggling light, but I guess this is where I will just have to start from. I won't lie when I say I am a bit of a physical weakling right now. One pushup and pullup is something I struggle with. One thing I can say is knowing my current strength output has made me even more determined and motivated to change and do something about it. I just hope in the future as I improve my technique and go to the gym more my efforts will pay off and I can begin to laugh at the beginning of this thread.

P.S - I had to use an old laptop to write this and I had forgotten the pass to my old account (the one I am using right now) , but this account had the remember password and username on my laptop which is why this post has arisen ). Sorry. I'll think I'll just stick to Studento from now on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The bar weighs 20kg bro (Unless it wasn't a normal bar you were benching with)

Watch form on Youtube etc, OmarIsuf is a good one. Supertraining are another great channel.

I would do Dumbbell shoulder presses inconjunction with Pressing whatever bars you can manage.

Press the 10kg bar for more than 5, push until failure. Watch OmarIsuf's recent vid on how to OHP.

You'll be pressing the bar v soon, don't worry about it.

You'll quickly progress, don't be discouraged. As you've said, use your lack of strength as motivation to improve

ReputationRep:
    Did the workout all good today, light weights of course. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this following routine that I found on the internet that my brother (who lifts) told me to consider. He seems to be a strong advocate in the 8-12 rep ranges: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/begi...-12-weeks.html
    As the Fitness FAQ and internet states, sticking to a routine is key, but as it is early days I wondered what people may have thought of the above.

I also feel more inclined to bulk because I feel I lack a lot of muscle a normal person should have, but I do have a bit of belly fat (skinny fat). I'm currently standing 6ft 2 inches and weight 79 kilos, It's funny because my friends have always assumed that I am stronger than my brother. I am bigger in mass, taller and don't look fat nor skinny. He has been very supportive though by reassuring me that he was starting out on the weight I was currently lifting. I can still beat him in a fight though

ReputationRep:
    Right! Sorry it's been awhile... I have still been going every other day. Anyway, the following is what I am currently doing in my workouts. Try not to laugh.
    Squats: 37.5kg (set to up to 40kg next workout)
    Barbell Row: 35kg (set to increase next 37.5kg)
    Bench Press: 22.5kg (embarrassingly this is a struggle but I can do it for 5x5. I don't think I'll be repping 5x5 25kg next workout)
    Standing Press (Military Press): 20kg (once again a struggle, but also a starting point. I did this with the straight bar last workout. When I started I couldn't even do 20kg )
    Deadlift: 40kg(Now I have finally got into the swing of things on doing ICF properly, this is set to increase by 10 each time. I do think 50kg will be easy though)
    I went onto the scales today and found I put on just under a pound. Fat or muscle I don't know.

I'm starting to get the hang of all the lifts and believe I am doing them correctly. I'll still keep researching and watching videos for clarity.
    I actually want to go more and more and feel 3x a week is too little. Every day off I feel like getting in the car to drive to the gym.

Blog rant over. Hopefully I can get myself out of this embarrassing weak state!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

It's been awhile. To be honest the only excuse I have for not posting is the fact I just didn't really come onto TSR, so I have been gyming it out since February. Although I will say I have missed out just under 2 weeks of total workouts due to quite an illness that has now passed. Anyway, I will post my stats:
    Squats: 67.5kg 5x5
    Barbell Row: 40kg (set to increase to 42.5kg Monday)
    Bench Press: 37.5kg
    Military Press: 27.5kg (I reckon I can pump out 5x5 30kg soon)
    Deadlift: 70kg (Could probably increase this but want to take this one a bit slower because of form)

I don't know if this is 'slow progress' but at least it is progress. I think my lifts are going up quicker now to when I first started and I'm hoping it won't be too long till I can get to a good beyond average weight. I'll admit when I first started was when I plateaued, but I have put on noteable strength and from what my friends/family say, size too. I don't think I even started out with any triceps when I started because I can certainly feel something there now.

I'm off to university in September and so I want to make that month a goal whereby I need to reach certain weights. By doing the ICF 5x5 program probably, can anyone recommend where I could end up?

ReputationRep:
    Update:
    The below are 5x5
    Squat: 70kg
    Barbell Row: 42.5kg
    Bench Press: 37.5kg-40kg
    Deadlift: 85kg (for a 1x5 set, I reckon I can increase this. However, I am going to go slow on this one purely because I want to make sure my form is 100% correct)
    OHP: 27.5kg (been this for awhile, although I feel close to progressing i guess)

I am finding it hard to increase the weight now, especially with my squats. My bench press has been fairly slow to progress, but considering I could only just 5x5 the bar a a month or two ago, I'm happy. I really want to make my progress faster though. The SL 5x5 program advertises itself as a rapid strength gainer, but going up 2.5kg every workout just doesn't work for me now. These lifts may not even be average for a beginner, but I was a weakling when I started out. I could only just bench the bar and couldn't lift the bar above my shoulders. That's changed and so has my physique. It's getting late but don't start work till late tomorrow so hopefully will get them 8 hours worth of sleep!

-
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Good progress bro keep it up

ReputationRep:
    Gym Update:
    Squats: 72.5kg (I failed the 5th set)
    Bench Press: 40kg (next workout might try 42.5kg, or the workout after that. It felt hard attempting this before my 2 days rest, but now it seemed really easy so I will up the weight)
    Barbell row: 42.5kg (set to increase to 45kg)

Overall, everything seems to be going up and I think I am set to increase ever so more. I just have one question for any lifting gurus who could help me, the program I am doing is ICF 5x5 btw:
    1) I am getting stuck on squats. I squat parallel every time. If I fail 72.5kg next workout like I did with the last one, is deloading by 10% a good idea or simply lowering to 70kg next workout? Both ICF and Stronglifts tell you to deload rather than pinch the weight down by 2.5kg next workout, so was wondering what you guys thought?

Cheers. I am looking forward to my rest day tomorrow, and the workout that will follow it the day after!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Video yourself. Put it unlisted on YouTube. Post it on here and we'll have a look at form

Eat lots, get a good night's sleep. Believe and you'll beast it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'll try and get a video of me doing the exercise at some point to get some feedback on form. I started out very weak when I did this program I pretty much couldn't do any the starting weights (20kg bar bench and couldn't OHP the bar). I'm now doing 40kg Bench and 27.5kg OHP. My question is this: if I am bulking right and getting enough sleep, is it actually realistic that I can add 5lbs each workout to my lifts? Although I have got stronger and made progress, it feels very slow compared to the analogy that ICF 5x5 gives out about gaining strength.

My lifts for today:
    Squat: 65kg. I had a bad nights sleep and for some reason couldn't get out the 1st set. Saying that though, I squatted a lot lower on 65kg and feel confident I was breaking parallel every time.
    Bench Press: 40kg. Hasn't gone up from last time, tried 42.5kg and only got 3 out on the first set.
    Barbell row: Gone up, although 42.5kg wasn't too hard the last workout.

Only had time to do the stronglift version today. I really wanted to do all of ICF 5x5 but couldn't get to the gym until 2 and had to start work by 3.15.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Are you gaining weight? Are you resting?

If you're struggling with recovery, switching to stronglifts or starting strength

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still on my 2nd rest day. I'll try and update every now and then but very busy with work. In reply to your comment, I have put on weight since I first started. I've gone from 79 kilos to about half way between 82-83ish, So I'd say just under 7lbs in weight. This was from when I first put up this thread to now, but despite this, my lifts haven't been going up every workout. More like every week possibly. I definitely have more definition than I did before.

I'd say I have started out skinny fat and weak. I could have cut, but I really want to put on strength rather than lose fat right now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.