Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I did some practice papers today as in exam practice mode to try to get to A* standard before I start step practice am not happy with performance, so far have been averaging a low C I have noticed that a lot of this is due to silly mistakes and or not reading the question properly.

a few too genuinely not understanding what the question is asking and the last bit due to be completely thrown by some curve ball question i cant quite figure out.

Now I did notice that when I correct for the silly mistakes and misreading the question I average A grades (just literally scraping)

clearly I need more exam practice and more questions. However I have heard that the syllabus was changed in 2010 so does that mean doing past papers from before 2010 is a bad idea? or not? I just worry about running out of practice papers.

also Is their any other sources for exam practice questions i figure I can past papers from other boards because modules may be slightly different but if your doing the whole A level wont you cover all the same material anyway? I mean I am not going to get a situation where some stuff is covered by one board but not at all covered by another board am I?

I just need to keep practicing and I don't find the textbook questions as hard as the past exam papers.

so my questions are
    1. Is it advisable to go back to papers from before 2010?
    2. is it good or bad idea to do past papers from other exam boards?
    3. what other sources can i get challenging problems from to get me to beyond A level standard.?

Note I know Steps I am going to get to that but obviously if I am flunking the A level papers I am not ready at this stage for Steps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    So I did some practice papers today as in exam practice mode to try to get to A* standard before I start step practice am not happy with performance, so far have been averaging a low C I have noticed that a lot of this is due to silly mistakes and or not reading the question properly.

a few too genuinely not understanding what the question is asking and the last bit due to be completely thrown by some curve ball question i cant quite figure out.

Now I did notice that when I correct for the silly mistakes and misreading the question I average A grades (just literally scraping)

clearly I need more exam practice and more questions. However I have heard that the syllabus was changed in 2010 so does that mean doing past papers from before 2010 is a bad idea? or not? I just worry about running out of practice papers.

also Is their any other sources for exam practice questions i figure I can past papers from other boards because modules may be slightly different but if your doing the whole A level wont you cover all the same material anyway? I mean I am not going to get a situation where some stuff is covered by one board but not at all covered by another board am I?

I just need to keep practicing and I don't find the textbook questions as hard as the past exam papers.

so my questions are
    1. Is it advisable to go back to papers from before 2010?
    2. is it good or bad idea to do past papers from other exam boards?
    3. what other sources can i get challenging problems from to get me to beyond A level standard.?

Note I know Steps I am going to get to that but obviously if I am flunking the A level papers I am not ready at this stage for Steps.
    I would say don't do past papers from other exam boards bc the things that are different will throw you off. Yes you should do papers from before 2010 because you should just aim to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on, just bare in mind they may seem to get easier the older the paper gets. But regardless its good to get practice on different variations of the same question. Also, have you heard of solomon papers/ gold papers? you can find them on physicsandmathstutor.com if your exam board is edexcel. These are basically harder versions on regular Qs so if you master these, youll be fine with regular papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samirahbegum)
    I would say don't do past papers from other exam boards bc the things that are different will throw you off. Yes you should do papers from before 2010 because you should just aim to do as many past papers as you can get your hands on, just bare in mind they may seem to get easier the older the paper gets. But regardless its good to get practice on different variations of the same question. Also, have you heard of solomon papers/ gold papers? you can find them on physicsandmathstutor.com if your exam board is edexcel. These are basically harder versions on regular Qs so if you master these, youll be fine with regular papers
    okay that helps, so thanks I am proper freaking out I have step class in just under two weeks and I am only getting C grades I have covered 9 modules so far. I am basically trying to go from from a C grade to an A* grade for 9 modules to be ready for the step classes within two weeks. Is this even possible? I know I have said A level maths and A level further maths can all be learnt in under 3 months in theory if worked on 8 hours a day etc.

However 2 weeks? I guess the difference is I am not starting from scratch. I have worked it out realistically I can get 9 hours in a day that is all.

so lets see if course on 13th feb I have just 108 Hours to go from a C grade to an A* grade in 9 modules is this doable am I screwed?

ReputationRep:
    okay that helps, so thanks I am proper freaking out I have step class in just under two weeks and I am only getting C grades I have covered 9 modules so far. I am basically trying to go from from a C grade to an A* grade for 9 modules to be ready for the step classes within two weeks. Is this even possible? I know I have said A level maths and A level further maths can all be learnt in under 3 months in theory if worked on 8 hours a day etc.

However 2 weeks? I guess the difference is I am not starting from scratch. I have worked it out realistically I can get 9 hours in a day that is all.

so lets see if course on 13th feb I have just 108 Hours to go from a C grade to an A* grade in 9 modules is this doable am I screwed?
    I dont think you're screwed! Maths is a subject that is easy to get better at! Exam practice is the only way to go about it, just do as many papers as you can bc once you have gotten used to the different ways they ask the same questions, you'll be fine! Maths papers are so predictable, the same things come up every year so just do every type of question you can find. If you ever get stuck on a question, search for that question on exam solutions (or on youtube as they post their vids on there too) its really helpful for someone to go through step by step what they did to get to the answer. Hope that helps and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samirahbegum)
    I dont think you're screwed! Maths is a subject that is easy to get better at! Exam practice is the only way to go about it, just do as many papers as you can bc once you have gotten used to the different ways they ask the same questions, you'll be fine! Maths papers are so predictable, the same things come up every year so just do every type of question you can find. If you ever get stuck on a question, search for that question on exam solutions (or on youtube as they post their vids on there too) its really helpful for someone to go through step by step what they did to get to the answer. Hope that helps and good luck!
    thanks for that I did another paper today got an A which is better but literally just scraped it only one mark over the ground boundary.

You say the older papers are easier does that mean easier questions so you need more marks or does it mean its same boundaries more or less but the questions are easier?

and does that apply consistently I mean are 2016 papers going to be significantly harder then say 2012 papers or 2010 papers?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that I did another paper today got an A which is better but literally just scraped it only one mark over the ground boundary.

You say the older papers are easier does that mean easier questions so you need more marks or does it mean its same boundaries more or less but the questions are easier?

and does that apply consistently I mean are 2016 papers going to be significantly harder then say 2012 papers or 2010 papers?
    I mean the questions are easier but thats just me speaking from my own experience, I dont know which modules you are taking but for example doing a C1 paper from 2006 is going to be much easier than the 2016 paper. It just seems that each year the level of difficulty appears to be increasing so if you want to stretch yourself, go for more recent papers but theres no harm in using older papers to practice.

ReputationRep:
    So I have been looking at my past papers and analyzing what is going wrong. fortunately I have found several key points which if I can mitigate will put me in the strong A/ A* category immediately.

1. I sometimes read the question wrong or misunderstand what they mean,

2. Stupid silly mistakes

3. forgetting basic things

4. Anxiety due to my autism I sometimes get very anxious when I see unfamiliar things a question thrown in a curve ball way can make me anxious and suddenly a question which should be trivially easy but asked in an unfamiliar way can seem like rocket science.

So I guess firstly pay more attention to questions get more familiar with questions so I will understand what they mean more often.

in regards to forgetting basic things repetition keep practicing thinking of making even further simplified notes on things i forget and sticking it to door or etc.

so the first 3 points I can control and take steps to mitigate.

as for point 4 that is the difficult part I Used to get 25% extra time and rest breaks (I could pause the exam not allowed to look at paper or write in this time)

Applying for those allowances this time might get the extra time skeptical on the rest breaks it helps for the anxiety and is probably more useful then the extra time but not sure if they would say it gave me an unfair advantage or etc. some people might argue that unlike essay based subjects it might give me a significant advantage in maths. not sure how right or wrong that opinion would be.

Well does not hurt to apply for it. I have medical records psychological reports and more evidence from my prior university and other education establishments dating back to first school so the evidence is their just not sure if they allow that for maths.

I think trying to prepare for step is a great way of dealing with weakness no 4 as I will get used to dealing with problems in unfamiliar ways, and thus get less anxious over time.

pretty much the evidence is clear if I can get past the four weakness points and eliminate the fifth (procrastination) then A* grades are pretty likely. I know that now so should take some comfort in that.

However easy said not easy done these weakness will still be a challenge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.