Turn on thread page Beta

Modern Languages and English at Uni- No A Level in Modern Languages watch

ReputationRep:
    I took German at GCSE and got an A but did not take it at A Level. I have been looking at the English and German courses combined but most prefer it if you took an A Level in German. I don't know what to do now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow_99)
    I took German at GCSE and got an A but did not take it at A Level. I have been looking at the English and German courses combined but most prefer it if you took an A Level in German. I don't know what to do now
    The best thing to do is to get in touch with the universities directly and ask them if they specifically require an A level in German, or if they would still consider you with just GCSE level. Some universities will accept students for certain languages "ab initio" (from scratch) so this might be an option (although it's usually more common for non-European languages, e.g. Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, etc.).

You could also look into opportunities to get your German level up to A level standard - e.g. by doing an intensive language course over the summer, perhaps taking a gap year and au pairing in Germany etc., then afterwards take the officially recognised exam (whatever the german equivalent of IELTS is...) which some universities might accept instead (check with them first!)

Also, you could look into a pure English degree which has options to take a language module - although your degree name will still be "English BA", some universities offer opportunities to take modules from other departments, e.g. a language. Also, many universities have a language centre where students can enrol in evening language classes outside of their degree for highly discounted rates

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you're only AS level at the moment, you could talk to your school about possibly doing at least AS German next year, or even fast-tracking the whole A2 in one year

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, I am currently in my AS year so I've got a few months yet. Most Universities have a Language Centre, do you get a qualification at the end of it? I could always ask my German teacher who used to teach me for advice

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, I am currently in my AS year so I've got a few months yet. Most Universities have a Language Centre, do you get a qualification at the end of it? I could always ask my German teacher who used to teach me for advice
    You're welcome

Language centres will usually offer some kind of certificate saying that you completed a course with them and got a certain grade. That being said, it's rarely a widely accepted official qualification, but employers would still value it and you could use the language skills gained from such a course to prepare for official German language exams (similarly for A levels etc., language A levels aren't really accepted internationally as confirmation of language skills, companies will be much more interested in you taking the official German language exam)

Yes, that's a very good idea They should have an idea of what course options might be available, if your language level is high enough, what you could do between now and starting uni to improve, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    You're welcome

Language centres will usually offer some kind of certificate saying that you completed a course with them and got a certain grade. That being said, it's rarely a widely accepted official qualification, but employers would still value it and you could use the language skills gained from such a course to prepare for official German language exams (similarly for A levels etc., language A levels aren't really accepted internationally as confirmation of language skills, companies will be much more interested in you taking the official German language exam)

Yes, that's a very good idea They should have an idea of what course options might be available, if your language level is high enough, what you could do between now and starting uni to improve, etc.
    You are literally amazing That's good I guess, a certificate is better than nothing! What will the official German exam be? With an English Degree, you can get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    You are literally amazing That's good I guess, a certificate is better than nothing! What will the official German exam be? With an English Degree, you can get anywhere.
    Aww, I'm literally just finding any excuse to procrastinate lol...

According to Wikipedia, there are a range of options Your German teacher should know better than me on this one I'm afraid!

Yeah, English is a very versatile degree subject - combined with German it would really nicely lead into careers in journalism, the foreign service, translating, diplomacy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, you will need an A-level in one modern language in order to apply for a language course. It is true that you can take beginners languages, but only with a post A-level language as well, therefore it is not possible to take a beginner language on its own I'm afraid

I would do what the poster above has said, find a way to get an A-level in German or another qualification, ask the universities to make sure that they will accept it

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.