The Student Room Group

A level combination!

Hello, I'd really appreciate any help you can offer as I've trawled through uni websites and heard lots of conflicting advice from different people.
So for A level I'm thinking of doing History ( Reason -I absolutely love history!!), Government and Politics (Reason- This subject really interests me and seems to complement history well) and Drama (Reason- I love performing/ need a creative release/ many law students have drama a level).
This is all with a view of doing a History degree (then converting to law) or a Law degree (possibly with international law).
I've predicted (and in mocks got) very high grades for GCSE so I could pretty much do any subject (except for a lack of interest).
Am I limiting myself by taking only one facilitating subject, especially as gov + politics and drama aren't particularly highly valued? Would Oxford and Cambridge not accept me based on my combination regardless of grades? Would other Russell group uni's (in particular Warwick, Durham, Kings College London, Exeter) be less likely to accept me?
I appreciate any help as there's so much conflicting advice and everyone's making it seem like getting this decision wrong will ruin my life!
Original post by cjhills
Hello, I'd really appreciate any help you can offer as I've trawled through uni websites and heard lots of conflicting advice from different people.
So for A level I'm thinking of doing History ( Reason -I absolutely love history!!), Government and Politics (Reason- This subject really interests me and seems to complement history well) and Drama (Reason- I love performing/ need a creative release/ many law students have drama a level).
This is all with a view of doing a History degree (then converting to law) or a Law degree (possibly with international law).
I've predicted (and in mocks got) very high grades for GCSE so I could pretty much do any subject (except for a lack of interest).
Am I limiting myself by taking only one facilitating subject, especially as gov + politics and drama aren't particularly highly valued? Would Oxford and Cambridge not accept me based on my combination regardless of grades? Would other Russell group uni's (in particular Warwick, Durham, Kings College London, Exeter) be less likely to accept me?
I appreciate any help as there's so much conflicting advice and everyone's making it seem like getting this decision wrong will ruin my life!

Given that you've got a fairly short list of places that interest you I would recommend you speak to them directly about your choices to ask.

Government and Politics is highly valued - it just doesn't make many "facilitating" lists because it isn't as flexible as history and english (facilitating just means flexible). For History or Law degrees gov+pol and history are a good combination. http://russellgroup.ac.uk/media/5457/informed-choices-2016.pdf

Drama is also highly valued - but it's less applicable to essay based subjects like law and history and so might not be well recieved by admissions staff for those subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest