The Student Room Group

Growing My Grades

Hello and weclome everyone:smile:!

In this thread it will be raw. You will see the ups and downs.This includes me sharing my great achievements, revision tips but also the challenges I will face. So get ready for this rollercoaster ride!
I hope my journey inspires some of you watching :wink:

Achieved GCSEs:
Arabic A*
Core Science A (Biology A,Chemistry A*,Physics A)

GCSE Subjects- Predicted grades:

Maths 8
English literature 6
English Language 6
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Geography B
Philosophy and Ethics B
French A

Aspirational Grades:
Maths 8
English literature 7
English Language 7
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Geography A*
Philosophy and Ethics A*
French A

AS Level Subject:
Arabic

Mock Grades: :colondollar:

Maths 5
English literature 4
English Language 4
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics ?
Geography A
Philosophy and Ethics B
French A
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wow great blog! It's good that you're aiming higher than your predicted grades, good luck!
Original post by UWS
Wow great blog! It's good that you're aiming higher than your predicted grades, good luck!

Thank You! I didn't do so great at my mocks but I'm hoping to improve dramatically with more hardwork and effort.
This Weekend:

(EDUQAS)English Language: Revise Explicit and Implicit details

(EDUQAS)English Language: Make note for An Inspector calls Mr Birling/Inspector and Social responsibility theme

(EDEXCEL)Science: Make notes for C2 topic 1,2 and 3

(AQA)Geography:Restless Earth-notes on supervolcanoes and Earthquakes

(OCR)Philosophy and Ethics: Beliefs about Deity-Revise keywords

(EDEXCEl) Mathematics:
(edited 7 years ago)
Todays Top Tip!:wink:
For English Language when writing an argument ALWAYS make sure you look at counter argument-it shows you are not biased and this is importan because you're not writing a persuasive piece.

You may want to follow this structure:
WHAT YOU BELIEVE-AGREE/DISAGREE-WHY e.g. I firmly believe that...
LOOK AT COUNTER ARGUMENT e.g. some people may thin that....
SAY WHY YOU THINK THNE COUNTER ARGUMENT IS MISTAKEN e.g However/Nevertheless/Stil....
This Week I'm planning to do:
(EDUQAS)English Language: Revise Writing- planning writing/openings/Organising and structuring

(EDUQAS)English Language: Make note for An Inspector calls: Characters: Sheila/Gerald Themes: Social Class/Family

(EDEXCEL)Science: Make notes for C2 topic 1,2 and 3

(AQA)Geography:Restless Earth-notes on supervolcanoes and Earthquakes

(OCR)Philosophy and Ethics: Beliefs about Deity-Revise keywords

(EDEXCEl) Mathematics:Revision homework
p.s I have not managed to complete everything last weakend so some things are repeated..
(edited 7 years ago)
What grade boundaries did your school use? For eduqas 9-1 English language and literature?
Original post by Samosa and Vada
What grade boundaries did your school use? For eduqas 9-1 English language and literature?

For English Literature my school gave me a 4 for getting 25/40 in the anthology section. For shakespeare i got 27/40 which gave me a grade 5.

For English language I got 19/40 in the 20th century reading paper which was 1 mark off a 4. For the creative wrting prose i got 23/40 wgich also gave me a 4.

I dont have the actual grade boundaries. Let me know what grade boundaries your school used for Eduqas and how were your mock if you don't mind sharing?
Original post by PursuingMedicine
For English Literature my school gave me a 4 for getting 25/40 in the anthology section. For shakespeare i got 27/40 which gave me a grade 5.

For English language I got 19/40 in the 20th century reading paper which was 1 mark off a 4. For the creative wrting prose i got 23/40 wgich also gave me a 4.

I dont have the actual grade boundaries. Let me know what grade boundaries your school used for Eduqas and how were your mock if you don't mind sharing?

I haven't got mine so just stressing. what do you think we may need for a 7. I am also aiming for 7.
I haven't got mine so just stressing. what do you think we may need for a 7. I am also aiming for 7.

I believe it was something like 33/40 for a 7- very tight grade boundaries. Good Luck hope you do well! Also don't you ever wish that your school did examboards like aqa because ther's hardly any free online resources for eduqas?!
I believe it was something like 33/40 for a 7- very tight grade boundaries. Good Luck hope you do well! Also don't you ever wish that your school did examboards like aqa because ther's hardly any free online resources for eduqas?!

I wish we did AQA! There are literally no resources for English language. I researched everywhere and all there is on YouTube is the overview and time management video. However, I am still watching Mr Bruff and mr salles video because the AO's are same meaning the skills are same. Therefore it will still help. How are you revising? Have your school told you about structuring?
I wish we did AQA! There are literally no resources for English language. I researched everywhere and all there is on YouTube is the overview and time management video. However, I am still watching Mr Bruff and mr salles video because the AO's are same meaning the skills are same. Therefore it will still help. How are you revising? Have your school told you about structuring?

I watch Mr Bruffs videos too to revise sometimes but our school has provided us with an english language workbook which i use to revise. However for English literature I use any resources on the internet. What do you mean by structuring- in what context? please clarify
I watch Mr Bruffs videos too to revise sometimes but our school has provided us with an english language workbook which i use to revise. However for English literature I use any resources on the internet. What do you mean by structuring- in what context? please clarify

By structure I mean the questions in both language papers.
By structure I mean the questions in both language papers.

they havent told us much about structure just qoute+infer for the reading papers per mark so if it was a 10 mark question you should aim at making 10 inferences with a qoute which are very succinct. However if I know of any more I'll keep you updated. Has your school given you a structure to follow?
(edited 7 years ago)
motivation:never give up
(edited 7 years ago)
they havent told us much about structure just qoute+infer for the reading papers per mark so if it was a 10 mark question you should aim at making 10 inferences with a qoute which are very succinct. However if I know of any more I'll keep you updated. Has your school given you a structure to follow?

Same. We are also told quote+Infer. I really hope they give some structure. Anyway, nice to meet a person doing WJEC. Best of luck!
Same. We are also told quote+Infer. I really hope they give some structure. Anyway, nice to meet a person doing WJEC. Best of luck!

Yes me too! Good Luck to you too :wink:
Do you know the grade boudaries that your school used?

Many schools like mine predicted that there will be very low grade boundaries. i.e an 8 is 52 marks.
Original post by stoyfan

Many schools like mine predicted that there will be very low grade boundaries. i.e an 8 is 52 marks.

I highly doubt 52 is going to be an 8. Atleast 65-68 will be 8. Even higher I think.
Original post by stoyfan

What my school is saying is that it's almost impossible to predict grade boundaries now because it all depends on how the country does as a whole but they believe grade are likely to be low bit there is no definite figure. There my school are using high grade boundaries so it will be less of a surprise for us in the summer if they were put up.

Also I believe they will award grade 8/9s to the top percentage of people who achive grade 7
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending