Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

YES, it's in Romania ❤️ Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nujabes4)
    Not being xenophobic but in my experience living in London, Romanians are the worst Eastern Europeans.

Many of them other here in the UK are either beggars / gypsies or are shady, poor and often work in criminal / illegitimate jobs.

If they come over here and are willing to do crappy jobs / live in crappy conditions, then I'm inclined to believe Romania is likely much worse.
    The beggars you see aren't Romanian, they're Romany which is a different kind of people. No one likes Romany, Romanians are nice though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Romania is a beautiful country, in fact every country has its beauties

Anyone who says it doesn't is just ignorant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Cherub012)
    So Romania is essentially a barren wasteland with a few nice landscapes here and there :holmes:
    Um, no. Romania's terrain is almost evenly divided between mountains, hills and plains and due to its varied terrain and climate the country has a diverse flora and fauna. Almost two-thirds of our territory are suitable for agriculture, also some of the largest deposits of gold in Europe can be found here and large deposits of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Um, no. Romania's terrain is almost evenly divided between mountains, hills and plains and due to its varied terrain and climate the country has a diverse flora and fauna. Almost two-thirds of our territory are suitable for agriculture, also some of the largest deposits of gold in Europe can be found here and large deposits of salt.
    ok i take it back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Almost two-thirds of our territory are suitable for agriculture, also some of the largest deposits of gold in Europe can be found here and large deposits of salt.
    I'm moving, I'm going to buy a farm and pan for salt. I don't care about the gold but arable land and salt, sign me up!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaSal)
    I'm moving, I'm going to buy a farm and pan for salt. I don't care about the gold but arable land and salt, sign me up!
    Play LoL to get even more salt than has ever been found in Romania :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show

Just kidding, Romania will welcome you with open arms :hugs:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Gypsies wander the world a lot, they don't have a definite country to live in because they don't form a nation.

It's believed that they have been exiled from Egypt and so they became an ethnic group themselves. They are considered to be nomads who travel a lot and so they absorb cultures or people of different races into their group. That is why they have also developed many dialects.
    Do you have to call them 'Gypsies'? That is quite an offensive term - you know their proper name, why not use it?

You realise that is what people used to say about the Jews. That they're exiles, nomads, have no homeland etc, and look how that ended. I think you should have a bit more respect for the Romani people and not believe silly superstitions (from Egypt, really? How absurd). The Roma/Romani people are Romanian.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Do you have to call them 'Gypsies'? That is quite an offensive term - you know their proper name, why not use it?

You realise that is what people used to say about the Jews. That they're exiles, nomads, have no homeland etc, and look how that ended. I think you should have a bit more respect for the Romani people and not believe silly superstitions (from Egypt, really? How absurd). The Roma/Romani people are Romanian.
    How to offend Romanians 101
    • Political Ambassador

I have a few good students that are Gypsies in my school and they don't find it offensive when they're being called like that. And they said themselves that they aren't Romanian. So I think you should be more informed before saying such things and also before assuming that I have no respect for them. If they are good people I'll respect them. I don't care about anyone's race, ethnicity or nationality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    I have a few good students that are Gypsies in my school and they don't find it offensive when they're being called like that. And they said themselves that they aren't Romanian. So I think you should be more informed before saying such things and also before assuming that I have no respect for them. If they are good people I'll respect them. I don't care about anyone's race, ethnicity or nationality.
    Knowing a few people who don't mind being called gypsy does not negate the fact that it is an offensive term. At best it is derogatory, at worst it is racist. Refusing to call them by their proper name and saying they are not true Romanians (even though they speak the Romanian language, are Romanian citizens and have lived in what is now Romania since the 13th century) is pretty disrespectful, in my opinion.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

On a serious side note, EC is almost 100% correct here. Calling Roma/Romani people 'gypsies' is not like calling black people the N word, it is like calling black people 'black' instead of 'African American' or other administrative terms like that. The word 'gypsy' is no an insult, nor is it offensive. Most Roma/Romani people call themselves 'gypsies', not 'Roma/Romani people'. By contrast, I have never seen a black person call themselves the N word. As such, 'gypsies' is not an offensive term, but the popular word for Roma/Romani people.

The only thing where EC might be wrong is the origin of gypsies. From what I know, they actually come from India and migrated westward until they reached the Eastern European countries. It is not a superstition, but a fact, as gypsies have darker skin, hair, and eye colour than Romanians and do have a different appearance in general. In consequence, they could not have originated from Romania or any other East European country. If they consider themselves Romanian, that is fine by me, but it does not change their ethnicity (not that it means anything as long as they are normal people).

In defence of EC, I believe everything she says comes from experience. I am Romanian myself, after all. So, what she says does not come from superstition, but from facts and personal experience.
    • Political Ambassador

Knowing a few people who don't mind being called gypsy does not negate the fact that it is an offensive term. At best it is derogatory, at worst it is racist. Refusing to call them by their proper name and saying they are not true Romanians (even though they speak the Romanian language, are Romanian citizens and have lived in what is now Romania since the 13th century) is pretty disrespectful, in my opinion.
    I don't find it offensive, nor have I ever meant to offend anyone :lol:. Calling it racist is exaggerated, dramatic and extreme.

And no I'm not disrespecting anyone in any way and I use both terms, not refusing to call them Romani. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Romany are gypsies, who cares if they're called gypsies? They have shows and they even refer to themselves as gypsies too. Stop being so uptight and live a little. Also it's not disrespectful to say they're not Romanians, they're not.
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Michiyo)
    On a serious side note, EC is almost 100% correct here. Calling Roma/Romani people 'gypsies' is not like calling black people the N word, it is like calling black people 'black' instead of 'African American' or other administrative terms like that. The word 'gypsy' is no an insult, nor is it offensive. Most Roma/Romani people call themselves 'gypsies', not 'Roma/Romani people'. By contrast, I have never seen a black person call themselves the N word. As such, 'gypsies' is not an offensive term, but the popular word for Roma/Romani people.

The only thing where EC might be wrong is the origin of gypsies. From what I know, they actually come from India and migrated westward until they reached the Eastern European countries. It is not a superstition, but a fact, as gypsies have darker skin, hair, and eye colour than Romanians and do have a different appearance in general. In consequence, they could not have originated from Romania or any other East European country. If they consider themselves Romanian, that is fine by me, but it does not change their ethnicity (not that it means anything as long as they are normal people).

In defence of EC, I believe everything she says comes from experience. I am Romanian myself, after all. So, what she says does not come from superstition, but from facts and personal experience.
    Some people just don't get it and then they take it the wrong way. Romanies is just another term for gypsies, no big deal. :lol:

And also I swear I'm so tired of these unfounded generalizations. I think the root for these stereotypes is linked to the influence of media.
    • Political Ambassador

Also it's not disrespectful to say they're not Romanians, they're not.
    Yes, exactlyyyyyyy.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC)
    Some people just don't get it and then they take it the wrong way. Romanies is just another term for gypsies, no big deal. :lol:

And also I swear I'm so tired of these unfounded generalizations. I think the root for these stereotypes is linked to the influence of media.
    I know, right? Who calls gypsies 'Roma/Romani people' anyway? Since we are Romanian, we both know the answer to that is 'no one' :rofl: (Besides politicians who need to be politically correct and such.)

Same. People seem to forget gypsies do not come from or exist only in Romania.

ReputationRep:
    Why aren't they? Are you saying your nationality depends on your race? Can black people not be British?

They have been living in Romania for 100s of years. They are Romanian.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    This.

Not all gypsies were born in or live in Romania, so it would be incorrect to say gypsies are Romanian.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

The only thing where EC might be wrong is the origin of gypsies. From what I know, they actually come from India and migrated westward until they reached the Eastern European countries. It is not a superstition, but a fact, as gypsies have darker skin, hair, and eye colour than Romanians and do have a different appearance in general. In consequence, they could not have originated from Romania or any other East European country. If they consider themselves Romanian, that is fine by me, but it does not change their ethnicity.
    I am not comparing the word 'gypsy' to the N-word. 'Black' is a descriptive term for someone with African or Afro-Caribbean heritage, 'gypsy' is not a descriptive term because there is no single identifying feature common to all so-called 'gypsies'. It is true that some Roma have darker skin, but many do not. I accept that Romanian people may have a different perception on whether or not the word 'gypsy' is offensive, but in the UK (and TSR is a UK-based site), it can be.

I didn't say they originated in Romania. All the linguistic and genetic evidence points to northern India, but so what? They live in Romania now (and have done for a very, very long time), so I find it strange that EC won't call them Romanian. If they aren't allowed to be Romanian then presumably she also thinks people of Indian descent cannot be British? That makes me uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    This.

Not all gypsies were born in or live in Romania, so it would be incorrect to say gypsies are Romanian.
    So gypsies who were born in Romiania, are, correct?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.