Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The best Biology related degree for Research Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am currently sitting my first year of A level, studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

For better or worse, the days of universities are not too far away and I'm kinda lost to what field is best to go into.

My "goal" is to do Scientific Research (ideally in Academia) and possible university lecturing on the side if the opportunity springs up (though the research part first )

I really do love all parts of Biology but I don't know which one I want to go further into, so what is the best field of biology in terms of the most "thriving" research course? and therefore what degree would be suitable?

Many Thanks, Sean

ReputationRep:
    I do Biomedical Science and that's pretty much based around research and lab work as that's what Biomed Scientists do. It's basically all of the human side of biology and it's really interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanfarr788)
    Hello,

I am currently sitting my first year of A level, studying Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

For better or worse, the days of universities are not too far away and I'm kinda lost to what field is best to go into.

My "goal" is to do Scientific Research (ideally in Academia) and possible university lecturing on the side if the opportunity springs up (though the research part first )

I really do love all parts of Biology but I don't know which one I want to go further into, so what is the best field of biology in terms of the most "thriving" research course? and therefore what degree would be suitable?

Many Thanks, Sean
    Any career in academia will have some kind of research element, so any degree will give you the basic grounding in research skills that you will need to go further.

At this stage, I would concentrate on finding degrees where the content particularly appeals to you. For an academic career, after an undergraduate degree in the sciences, you would usually go on to a PhD. These are highly competitive and you will need the best possible result in your degree to give you a good chance at winning a funded project. You will generally get the best results by studying a degree which interests and engages you. Most uni websites will show course content at module level, so you can check out the details online.

Any undergrad degree will be quite broad, so you won't be expected to know specifically what interests you when it starts. As you go along, you may find that particular branches of the subject are more enjoyable, so you can then start to focus on what you might study/research next.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.