The Student Room Group

***** UKIP are expected to WIN the Stoke-Central By-election!! ******

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
3 million votes in 2015 was quite an accomplishment, now with a strategy they can target constituencies and gain seats. It's been happening and at this rate it will happen

It won't happen unless the party drastically changes hence why I will probably vote conservative at the next election

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unprinted
Cameron's huge mistake was in having a 'Remain / Leave' binary referendum, rather than offering a couple of hundred thousand quid to anyone who could campaign for a specific leave option and having multiple choices: Remain or Leave+stay in single market or Leave+join EFTA or Leave+do whatever the US president wants etc.

Then we'd know if there was majority support for leaving the single market - the creation of which was best thing Thatcher ever did.

Until then, you're assuming that everyone who voted Leave wants the hard 'Brexit means Trump'.

Indeed, it will go down in history as a bizarre and inexplicable political act.

Although there are those who think Cameron wanted a Brexit and this was his typically sneaky way of getting it without making himself look like he wanted it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Although there are those who think Cameron wanted a Brexit and this was his typically sneaky way of getting it without making himself look like he wanted it.

What's the evidence for this?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What's the evidence for this?

None, it's just conspiracy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by paul514
It won't happen unless the party drastically changes hence why I will probably vote conservative at the next election

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thata true, they're still a protest party and haven't exactly reformed into a political party not sure wxsfly what they stand for but they seem to connect with loads of people somehow. I hate to admit it but I probably will vote conservatives too, not a fan of my local MP and not a fan of Labour so it's quite an obvious choice.
They wont be allowed to win. Dirty tricks will prevent it.

[video="youtube;Vggxii4Ofdo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vggxii4Ofdo[/video]
[video="youtube;4kiEqcf8VrY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kiEqcf8VrY[/video]
Original post by Tamora
I think UKIP have a great chance if they can increase the turnout on the 2015 general election and that will be a good thing if only to help stop any backsliding on Brexit.

They wont be allowed to win in Stoke.

Get ready for some big scandal days before the election...

Just like they pulled a fake fight in Barking with Nick Griffin, they wont allow change.

[video="youtube;JdvelyLvOzw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdvelyLvOzw[/video]
Original post by .A_C.
HA! The press will do anything to generate a flurry of negativity casting a big black cloud over UKIP.

Utter crap. The Express might as well be the UKIP paper and even the BBC have been guilty of giving the seven times failed candidate Farage far, far, far more coverage than he deserves. Compare the coverage given to him with the coverage given to Caroline Lucas - she's been an MP for much longer than UKIP have had one.

And for this by-election, I think it's desperation to find absolutely anything that will put a chink in the armour of the ever gaining momentum of a formidable UKIP, which looks set to make a few gains in the near future.

Given that it's starting from a base of one - and that was a defector - it can hardly make many losses. Except at local level, where the number of ex-UKIP councillors is larger than the number of sitting ones now.

Paul supposedly pretending to live in Stoke is not as big of a problem to the people of Stoke

You've never worked at a by-election, have you? It's possible Stoke is magically different from everywhere else, but in general being caught lying about a connection to the area is a huge blunder. Carpet-bagging is one thing, lying about this - and on your nomination papers - is quite another. He might as well have said he hates pottery, and supports Arsenal, Port Vale, Wolves and West Brom.

Even if he does win (see below) he's guaranteed a slot in the election court, because someone's going to register a formal complaint about lying on the nomination papers: if he didn't think having address in the constituency wasn't helpful, he wouldn't have done it!

It's anyone's game to win of course, but my money is on UKIP.

How much?

But if anyone wants to bet on UKIP winning this one, I'll take their money.
My prediction:

Labour hold (barely) : stoke central

Con Gain (moderate) : Copeland

As I'm never right I'm quite prepared for a shock lib dem win in Copeland and Nuttall winning hugely here 😂
Original post by Davij038
My prediction:

Labour hold (barely) : stoke central

Con Gain (moderate) : Copeland

As I'm never right I'm quite prepared for a shock lib dem win in Copeland and Nuttall winning hugely here 😂

Yeah, i think Labour will hold Stoke but probably lose Copeland quite badly. I'd not be shocked if we saw quite a large swing.
Saw That the labour candidate has been campaigning alongside Corbyn, the man he described as a Hamas sympathiser...

I hope the Tories win here too or god help me ukip.
Hopefully Paul Nuttall's lies (allegedly) about his 'close personal friends' who died in 1989 at Hillsborough will prove his undoing. I think he was at the game but nowhere near where the crush was which led to the 96 deaths. In any case, if he was near, why has he never been known to campaign for Justice for the 96.
Original post by KingHarold
Hopefully Paul Nuttall's lies (allegedly) about his 'close personal friends' who died in 1989 at Hillsborough will prove his undoing. I think he was at the game but nowhere near where the crush was which led to the 96 deaths. In any case, if he was near, why has he never been known to campaign for Justice for the 96.

He's rapidly being exposed as some kind of bizarre Walter Mitty figure. He didn't just make up that he was at Hillsborough, he also falsely claimed he played football professionally for Tranmere.

There's a pattern to it - he is trying to appear solidly working class and boost his credentials amongst white C2DE voters. I hope it fails and they see him for what he is - a rather pathetic liar and a nasty man.
Original post by KingHarold
Hopefully Paul Nuttall's lies (allegedly) about his 'close personal friends' who died in 1989 at Hillsborough will prove his undoing.

There's no 'allegedly' - he's admitted on air that it's completely untrue.

Just like his address on his nomination papers, his claim to have a PhD, and his claim to have been a professional footballer.

In any case, if he was near, why has he never been known to campaign for Justice for the 96.

If he was there, why couldn't he say if he'd given a statement to the police, who have said they want to hear from everyone who was there? Why didn't his school know - as they knew about other pupils who were there - and why didn't he bother to mention it while fighting three general elections in a Liverpool constituency? Or say whether he'd ever raised it at the European Parliament during his eight years as an MEP? I know UKIP MEPs have a rubbish record of attendance, but you think he might have said something as a result of the recent inquest.

Given the number of photos taken of Leppings Lane stand he claims to have been in during the disaster and the still existing CCTV coverage from multiple cameras of people entering that end, why can't he point to some of it and go 'there, that's me'? Oh, and why does it look like the only two people who say he was there are an employee of UKIP and his father... who can't even get Nuttal's age at the time right - I've never met a Liverpool supporter who can't tell you what year it happened.

Cue waiting for the UKIPers to ask why he still hasn't been given a medal for all he did for the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre...
There's no 'allegedly' - he's admitted on air that it's completely untrue.

Just like his address on his nomination papers, his claim to have a PhD, and his claim to have been a professional footballer.

If he was there, why couldn't he say if he'd given a statement to the police, who have said they want to hear from everyone who was there? Why didn't his school know - as they knew about other pupils who were there - and why didn't he bother to mention it while fighting three general elections in a Liverpool constituency? Or say whether he'd ever raised it at the European Parliament during his eight years as an MEP? I know UKIP MEPs have a rubbish record of attendance, but you think he might have said something as a result of the recent inquest.

Given the number of photos taken of Leppings Lane stand he claims to have been in during the disaster and the still existing CCTV coverage from multiple cameras of people entering that end, why can't he point to some of it and go 'there, that's me'? Oh, and why does it look like the only two people who say he was there are an employee of UKIP and his father... who can't even get Nuttal's age at the time right - I've never met a Liverpool supporter who can't tell you what year it happened.

Cue waiting for the UKIPers to ask why he still hasn't been given a medal for all he did for the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre...

I'd like to see the video where he says he lost close personal friends please as they said the press woman put it on the website falsely.

So link?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There isn't a video: it was in a post in his name on his official Paul Nuttal MEP website (paid for by us as part of his expenses?) and which was there for the past four years until yesterday.

He's blamed a UKIP press officer, and said she's also to blame for the previous false claim to have been a professional footballer.*

I have worked for a politician and I can say that they checked every word before publication. It is, I suppose, possible that Nuttal doesn't bother to read what's put out in his name and hasn't looked at his own website in four years, even when he knows that at least one lie has been told in his name there already, but what does that say about him?

* But didn't, presumably, fill in his nomination papers with the lie about his address.
Apparently the Hillsborough thing is a big thing on the doorstep.
There isn't a video: it was in a post in his name on his official Paul Nuttal MEP website (paid for by us as part of his expenses?) and which was there for the past four years until yesterday.

He's blamed a UKIP press officer, and said she's also to blame for the previous false claim to have been a professional footballer.*

I have worked for a politician and I can say that they checked every word before publication. It is, I suppose, possible that Nuttal doesn't bother to read what's put out in his name and hasn't looked at his own website in four years, even when he knows that at least one lie has been told in his name there already, but what does that say about him?

* But didn't, presumably, fill in his nomination papers with the lie about his address.

Nuttall told Radio City Talk only a few days ago that he was there.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/14/ukip-leader-admits-claim-that-he-lost-close-friends-at-hillsborough-was-false

His claim that it was all down to a mistake by his PR is absolute drivel.
There are two claims: that he was there, which he's sticking to despite Quite A Lot of evidence suggesting otherwise, and that "close personal" friends died there, which he's admitted was a lie.

Quick thought - what sort of press officer goes 'I'll just put out this claim about the biggest story in Liverpool, part of my boss's constituency, in the past two decades without actually checking it... it's not as though it matters whether or not it's true'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending