Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I chose to study AS Further maths at my college and I'm debating my decision. I feel like I'm progressively falling more and more behind and I'm struggling to keep up with everything we are being taught. Everything is just happening so fast.

I was wondering if anyone experienced something similar to my dilemma, and ways you tackled it.

Any help/techniques appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abismuth)
    So I chose to study AS Further maths at my college and I'm debating my decision. I feel like I'm progressively falling more and more behind and I'm struggling to keep up with everything we are being taught. Everything is just happening so fast.

I was wondering if anyone experienced something similar to my dilemma, and ways you tackled it.

Any help/techniques appreciated.
    if youre falling behind you just have to work at it, theres no easy way around that.

Youll find that it becomes a lot less daunting once things start to click, so rather than it feeling like youre learning textbook after textbook of maths it will just kind of "flow" and youll know what to do.

So just work hard now, read examples over and over, question every line they do, "how did they get from this line to the next" "why have they done this", ask yourself these kind of things. Work through the exercises until youre confident you know why youre doing something, dont just be content with learning off a method and applying it, know why youre using that method.

For example, I sat FP2 last year and have barely looked at it since, and I finished D1 around october (3 months ago) and id be willing to bet that I would do better in a FP2 paper if i sat one right now since I (mostly) know why things were being done in FP2 whereas D1 was a case of learn it and get it done. Methods to solving questions stick longer if you know why they're being used.

Also post any maths related questions on here, post an example from a textbook if you dont understand it, it doesnt have to be an exercise question.

Finally, resources wise, examsolutions.net is very good if you like watching and listening to someone go through a topic, rather than just reading it from a book. Then obviously past papers (but they arent too important quite yet).

Hopefully this helps somewhat, just work hard at it and itll work out just think of opening your results in August

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    if youre falling behind you just have to work at it, theres no easy way around that.

Youll find that it becomes a lot less daunting once things start to click, so rather than it feeling like youre learning textbook after textbook of maths it will just kind of "flow" and youll know what to do.

So just work hard now, read examples over and over, question every line they do, "how did they get from this line to the next" "why have they done this", ask yourself these kind of things. Work through the exercises until youre confident you know why youre doing something, dont just be content with learning off a method and applying it, know why youre using that method.

For example, I sat FP2 last year and have barely looked at it since, and I finished D1 around october (3 months ago) and id be willing to bet that I would do better in a FP2 paper if i sat one right now since I (mostly) know why things were being done in FP2 whereas D1 was a case of learn it and get it done. Methods to solving questions stick longer if you know why they're being used.

Also post any maths related questions on here, post an example from a textbook if you dont understand it, it doesnt have to be an exercise question.

Finally, resources wise, examsolutions.net is very good if you like watching and listening to someone go through a topic, rather than just reading it from a book. Then obviously past papers (but they arent too important quite yet).

Hopefully this helps somewhat, just work hard at it and itll work out just think of opening your results in August
    Thanks for the advice. I wish I knew about this site earlier, its helped so much over the past week, replies like yours make me feel like I can actually progress. The thing that annoys me with teachers is they just assume that once they have taught a subject to you, you should instantly know it. The big difference between GCSE and A-Level is that you have a hell of a lot more independent work to do, wish I realized that earlier, I've been kinda naive about the whole situation and tackling everything with a, "everything will be better tomorrow", approach.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try out examsolutions.net, I feel like watching someone go through something I'm struggling with will be much more beneficial to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abismuth)
    Thanks for the advice. I wish I knew about this site earlier, its helped so much over the past week, replies like yours make me feel like I can actually progress. The thing that annoys me with teachers is they just assume that once they have taught a subject to you, you should instantly know it. The big difference between GCSE and A-Level is that you have a hell of a lot more independent work to do, wish I realized that earlier, I've been kinda naive about the whole situation and tackling everything with a, "everything will be better tomorrow", approach.
    Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try out examsolutions.net, I feel like watching someone go through something I'm struggling with will be much more beneficial to me.
    Yea its quite good, theres lots of very helpful people on here, youre also lucky because the maths forum is quite popular compared to some others, so id expect your questions to have a reply within an hour or two at most (although Id say most are answered within 20 minutes).

I agree but at the same time teachers have a lot of content to teach the class, and they dont get much time to teach it so I can sympathise with them in that regard. You still have ages before the exam though, you have plenty of time to get caught up although dont see it as a chore, just work at it bit by bit whenever you feel like working a little extra, dont force yourself to work to the point where you dislike the module.

haha yes "everything will be better tomorrow" is nice to say now, but not so nice a day or two before the exam :laugh:

no problem, yea its good I feel like examsolutions teaches it better than I teach myself since he takes 10 minutes to go through a method whereas I cant help but rush over it

P.S. I forgot to mention, if you are on edexcel, look up "(module name) solution bank" on google and youll get the workings out of all the textbook questions, its nicer than just having the answers at the back of the book since they dont tell you much. eg heres the top result after searching for "FP1 solution bank" http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-solutionbank/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.