The Student Room Group

Anxiousness and school

I've never been diagnosed with anxiety, because you know, the physical thought of going to the doctor's kind of leaves me feeling well...

The whole feeling incredibly anxious the majority of the time thing started last year in school. I would get mini panic attacks multiple times a week, and end of leaving class because I felt like I was choking to "death".

Since I started school this year, I've been incredibly jittery almost all the time - I can barely stay still, often end up with my legs shaking uncontrollably, rarely participate in discussion and usually end up not being able to stay in class for an entire lesson. I usually make an excuse up about needing to get a tissue or go to the bathroom, and then I'll sit out for a bit, and hope that when I walk in, the teacher doesn't realise that it's taken me five minutes to get a tissue (my school's building is tiny).

I think teachers are beginning to clock that maybe I'm not actually going to the toilet etc (there have been some kind of "funny" incidents when I've asked to leave twice in a short space of time) and I kind of want to be able to leave class and not have to rush to calm myself down, and make sure that my teachers aren't suspicious.

But all this involves telling the pastoral person(who is a really really nice albeit incredibly condescending person) that said problems exist.

And I don't know how to do that...

Anyone able to offer some advice (or even about how to cope in class!)?/What I should try and tell her/do?
Reply 1
If your problems are affecting your daily life this badly, you really need to see a doctor/pastoral support so they can help to get you counselling or other treatment. You won't feel ok doing it, it's more about pushing yourself through the horrible feelings. If it helps, you could write it down as you've done here, then it's not as horrible as having to force words out. Maybe document a few of the times that it has happened, write down the situation that you were in, how you felt, and how you dealt with it.

Quick Reply

Latest