Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

What options are available in London to study for a PhD in London whilst working full-time, i.e. lectures/other activities are only acceptable outside 9am-6pm? I understand my only option is Birkbeck (or even worse, The Open University)?

I hold an MSc (with distinction) in computer science, I understand I'd have to study for MPhil as part of the PhD anyway - are there any exceptions in the UK? Is it even worth approaching top-tier universities such as UCL or Imperial College with my requirement that I want to study definitely outside working hours?

Would it be possible to find a research grant for my part-time PhD? On findaphd.com I can see mostly full-time on-site positions. It's mostly to satisfy my continental ego, which considers PhD fees as something strange, but I also might work on a topic that is of interest for an institution.

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Working towards a PhD while working full time isn't really viable. If you work part time and study part time that's more reasonable. You will have to check with unis and supervisors if they're ok with your doing a part time PhD when you apply and some will and some won't but it's not impossible. You will struggle to do one within the time frame or even get a post if you can't be flexible with timings of study.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've got my bsc (in three years) and msc (in one year) degrees whilst working full-time. I'm fine with time management and my profession is releant to the research field.
    I don't expect big problems convincing my future supervisor, as long it's not against the uni rules/conventions.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Research degrees are a lot more intense than taught degrees and you have a lot less time to accomplish more. With comp sci you may not have to be at your desk in the dept all the time but may have to engage with activities such as training teaching or seminars. Supervisors will want to see commitment to the Phd and will not be impressed if you come across as someone doing this on the side. Having said that though there may be ways to get this to work which can be negotiated so go for it and good luck!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d85)
    Well, I've got my bsc (in three years) and msc (in one year) degrees whilst working full-time. I'm fine with time management and my profession is releant to the research field.
    I don't expect big problems convincing my future supervisor, as long it's not against the uni rules/conventions.

It is indeed possible to do a PhD part time, while working full-time. It was an option I considered initially, before opting for a full-time PhD. I've got some friends that did theirs full-time work & part-time PhD, and someone who did a full-time PhD while working full-time (very, very challenging this one! Many things have to align together), so it is possible.

Not sure if there are Unis that do so in London, though. Computer Science is a very fast-moving field and not many supervisors may be keen to take students who will be working on the same topic for 6-8 years. Would it still be novel when completed? That may be their concern. Otherwise, once you are able to convince the supervisor and put a good case forward, I am sure the rules of study can be fitted around you. Even in a London Uni. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.