Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What volume of a 50 mg/ml stock solution of antibiotic would you need to also add to the dish if you wanted a final concentration of 25 µg/ml?

The dish is 31.86 cm cubed which I calculated previously. This question seems easy but I cant figure out how to do it?

ReputationRep:
    ID use simple proportion
    50mg - 1ml
    50ug - x
    No need for disk size

I may be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    ID use simple proportion
    50mg - 1ml
    50ug - x
    No need for disk size

I may be wrong though
    dont you need to take into account the volume of the antibiotic being added as that increases total volume and affects concentration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Year11guy)
    dont you need to take into account the volume of the antibiotic being added as that increases total volume and affects concentration.
    No. If you take some sea water into a glass the concentration of salt in the glass will be the same as in the sea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    No. If you take some sea water into a glass the concentration of salt in the glass will be the same as in the sea
    but the glass is empty before putting the water in. Here the dish already has been filled and we will be adding more in increasing volume but you might be right.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.