The Student Room Group

High insurance quotes at 24 yr old

Finally got around to doing my driving test and passed at 24 yr old. Being trying out quotes for cheap cars around £800-£1500 and I'm getting quotes at the very least for £3,500 and this is with black box.

This value doesn't change no matter what even if I put my dad as the second driver who has been driving for 25 years with NCB or if I change the annual mileage ect.

I've seen other newly passed drivers get quotes around £2,000 at younger ages so how do they manage this??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrdoovde1
Finally got around to doing my driving test and passed at 24 yr old. Being trying out quotes for cheap cars around £800-£1500 and I'm getting quotes at the very least for £3,500 and this is with black box.

This value doesn't change no matter what even if I put my dad as the second driver who has been driving for 25 years with NCB or if I change the annual mileage ect.

I've seen other newly passed drivers get quotes around £2,000 at younger ages so how do they manage this??

Could be your location that increases the price. Also what car is this?

Car insurance at times is a bit of a mystery
Reply 2
Original post by James A
Could be your location that increases the price. Also what car is this?

Car insurance at times is a bit of a mystery

But surely the area alone isn't worth almost £1500 a year. Plus according to this site
https://www.visitcars.co.uk/car-insurance/insurance-post-code-risk.html (don't know how reliable it is) my location is a medium risk.

Car I want to buy 1.8L Vauxhall Astra with 120k mileage. Even other cars such 1.2L Ford's with low mileage come back with the same price.
Reply 3

Try it with your dad as the first driver maybe?:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I've tried that. Not much difference in price.
Reply 5
Yep I've tried that. Not much difference in price.

Wow, what sort of horsepower are the cars you're looking at? Sometimes that can have an effect on new drivers

Posted from TSR Mobile
For someone who isn't ancient, but whose first car insurance was £193, I find these prices absolutely and utterly crazy.

If you don't live in a high-risk area, then there's clearly something which is pushing this premium way, way up. Apart from the obvious (i.e. I assume you don't have any motoring convictions), then what insurance group are these vehicles in? Maybe the cost of the car (being quite low) is a factor - sometimes it can look like a cheap car is a car you're not going to care much about and you become viewed as more of a risk. Have you selected the correct use class, i.e. SDP & C, not Class 3 business use or something? Finally, the cars haven't been modified, imported, cat C/D write-offs? All those sort of things.
Sometimes its car specific, I've sent you a pm with my car reg to try with same settings, it gave me £550 on first year (31 year old) and I've also got a 20 year old friend on my course with the EXACT same model, he was quoted £1800 on first year.

Both of these aren't black box.

While the second is high, its still no where near as high as yours, post your result using my reg number (didnt want to disclose reg to 1000's of people for obv reasons). :P
Try putting in a more expensive car and seeing what happens? I'm 21 and just got my first car - a 2013 Fiesta with 37k on it, 125 bhp and the insurance was £790 including legal cover.

Out of interest, when did you pass your test? This can also have an impact.

And hopefully a stupid question, but are you using comparison websites?
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Try putting in a more expensive car and seeing what happens? I'm 21 and just got my first car - a 2013 Fiesta with 37k on it, 125 bhp and the insurance was £790 including legal cover.

Out of interest, when did you pass your test? This can also have an impact.

And hopefully a stupid question, but are you using comparison websites?

I think you have a point, old cars seem to have extortionately high insurance quotes nowadays, where it seems a better investment to get a 2k car rather than a 500 banger.
Original post by loooopppyyy
I think you have a point, old cars seem to have extortionately high insurance quotes nowadays, where it seems a better investment to get a 2k car rather than a 500 banger.

Yeah I found that even putting in something that was worth 500 more would bring it down a good amount.

Car I want to buy 1.8L Vauxhall Astra with 120k mileage. Even other cars such 1.2L Ford's with low mileage come back with the same price.

As a new driver you can pretty much forget getting an astra, the 1.8L engine variant historically sits between insurance groups 15 and 23 from the 1998 model upwards.

Even at almost 27 (so past the mythical 18-25 threshold), with 6 months driving, living in one of the lowest risk area towns in the UK (5th lowest), it's giving me an average quote around the £2500 mark on a group 15 2010 variant, dial that back to the group 23 2004 version and it doubles, for a car worth a 10th of the newer one.
I paid £850 for my first year of insurance (my current year)
It could be that you've just passed your test and you're considered a high risk.. but also the astra pushes the insurance up
Original post by Jackieox
I paid £850 for my first year of insurance (my current year)
It could be that you've just passed your test and you're considered a high risk.. but also the astra pushes the insurance up

Not by that much though haha, its got to be a case of new driver, old car AND too big an engine.

I'm betting if he uses a 2008+ year 1L in the insurance calculator it will be between £700-£1500 depending on all the other variables.
Thats absolutely ridiculous. I know driving is meant to be a 'privilege' but that is complete *******ry.

good luck, Im sure you will find something eventually. Everyone does.
Reply 15
Original post by iainvg
As a new driver you can pretty much forget getting an astra, the 1.8L engine variant historically sits between insurance groups 15 and 23 from the 1998 model upwards.

Even at almost 27 (so past the mythical 18-25 threshold), with 6 months driving, living in one of the lowest risk area towns in the UK (5th lowest), it's giving me an average quote around the £2500 mark on a group 15 2010 variant, dial that back to the group 23 2004 version and it doubles, for a car worth a 10th of the newer one.

My first car (20 y/o) was a 2004 reg 1.6L Astra, and that was £1600 to insure with no box

Car insurance really is a mystery
Original post by Andy98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm...No. Thats fronting and its illegal.
If you are the main driver- put yourself as the main driver.

I found that the newer the car- the cheaper the insurance.
Try insurance companies directly as its usually cheaper than going through a comparison site.
Try different levels of cover- third party fire and theft isnt always cheaper. Fully comp can be the same price or cheaper quite often.
Original post by Emma:-)
I found that the newer the car- the cheaper the insurance.
Try insurance companies directly as its usually cheaper than going through a comparison site.
Try different levels of cover- third party fire and theft isnt always cheaper. Fully comp can be the same price or cheaper quite often.

Fully comp has always come out cheaper than 3rd party for me too, no idea why! :P
Original post by loooopppyyy
Fully comp has always come out cheaper than 3rd party for me too, no idea why! :P

Its always come out the same or cheaper for me as well.

Quick Reply

Latest