Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

High insurance quotes at 24 yr old Watch

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your budget, but try looking at newer cars - their higher safety rating and better security often leads to lower insurance premiums.

Really really not my choice of car but have a look at the Citroen C1 for insurance quotes. My friends daughter (18yrs old, 6 months license with no experience, living at home and a student) got a quote for £1200 with a black box.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/pe...750/1214452237

Peugeot 107's another good one (not mine), group 1 insurance bracket

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/pe...750/1214452237

Peugeot 107's another good one (not mine), group 1 insurance bracket

Same platform - C1, 107 and Toyota Aygo are all the same underneath in a similar manner to the Skoda Citgo, VW UP! and Seat Mii.

If the insurance is affordable i'd recommend the VAG cars over the C1 etc any day. Having had the 107 as a courtesy car for a week it's truly horrid where as I've had Citigos a couple of times and they're really nice for what they car.

But from memory the VAG cars are more expensive to buy AND insure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by virgil1)
    Same platform - C1, 107 and Toyota Aygo are all the same underneath in a similar manner to the Skoda Citgo, VW UP! and Seat Mii.

If the insurance is affordable i'd recommend the VAG cars over the C1 etc any day. Having had the 107 as a courtesy car for a week it's truly horrid where as I've had Citigos a couple of times and they're really nice for what they car.

But from memory the VAG cars are more expensive to buy AND insure.
    Well I've had the 107 (not that one i linked) since I passed my test, did 25k miles last year (100 miles a day to work or uni as I live in a remote place), never broke down once and took it for its MOT last month and the only thing it needed doing was front brake pads costing £65 including labour.

They're very reliable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    Finally got around to doing my driving test and passed at 24 yr old. Being trying out quotes for cheap cars around £800-£1500 and I'm getting quotes at the very least for £3,500 and this is with black box.

This value doesn't change no matter what even if I put my dad as the second driver who has been driving for 25 years with NCB or if I change the annual mileage ect.

I've seen other newly passed drivers get quotes around £2,000 at younger ages so how do they manage this??
    The problem is you're trying to insure a 1.8 litre car having only just passed your test. £3500 sounds pretty normal for doing that. no one would expect a 17 year old to drive a 1.8, same goes even at 24 because it's your first year.

If it's any help, when I passed my test I drove a Fiat Panda 1.3 and insurance was £800 for the year.

You need to get a smaller car, probably under 1.4, that's where it starts getting expensive.

ReputationRep:
    all about location
    keep changing things on compair the market and sites like that, and go for fire and comprehensive thing i dunno.
    worked for me with bad car record :L

car engine size wont help be smaller average price with age yrs that is depending on no claims and **** like that
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdoovde1)
    Finally got around to doing my driving test and passed at 24 yr old. Being trying out quotes for cheap cars around £800-£1500 and I'm getting quotes at the very least for £3,500 and this is with black box.

This value doesn't change no matter what even if I put my dad as the second driver who has been driving for 25 years with NCB or if I change the annual mileage ect.

I've seen other newly passed drivers get quotes around £2,000 at younger ages so how do they manage this??
    -where you live
    -the value of the car

I live in the countryside
    spent 3k on the car, 1k on the insurance

ReputationRep:
    Also as others have said do multiple quotes changing little bits like 'park on street', adding secondary drivers (parents and the like).

My quotes last year ranged from £500 to £1200 depending on these!

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting a major drop in insurance price after my 25th birthday. Didn't change much at all. A lot of it is down to NCB. As you haven't had your license for very long and no NCB, quotes for you as the main driver will certainly be high. Location makes a difference, like others have mentioned. My insurer charged me £700 extra just for being in London.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.