Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Africans Perception to the world? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are Africans as a people so much underated? Is it because of their own making or because of other races being ignorant of this beautiful race? i think they are great people but why does everyone in Europe see them differently?

ReputationRep:
    Africa is a continent, the cultures and societies contained within it are quite broad.

Even if we take that to one side, I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by "under-rated".

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.
    I work with a number of South Africans, and they're perceived, perform, and achieve no differently than Europeans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrRingDing)
    Why are Africans as a people so much underated? Is it because of their own making or because of other races being ignorant of this beautiful race? i think they are great people but why does everyone in Europe see them differently?
    One's behaviour is influenced by their environment and upbringing, not one's race. I think that it is logically absurd to group people in terms of race like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resitsutd)
    I disagree.
    I work with a number of South Africans, and they're perceived, perform, and achieve no differently than Europeans.
    Are they white South Africans by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Africa is a continent, the cultures and societies contained within it are quite broad.

Even if we take that to one side, I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by "under-rated".
    This post was inspired by that incident which happened in Delta airlines, where a black female doctor was denied a chance to attend to a dying passenger aboard the flight. The crew told her she was not likely to be a doctor. that is one in a billion examples. That is being underrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Are they white South Africans by any chance?
    Yes but I don't see what that has to do with anything. They're still Africans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    One's behaviour is influenced by their environment and upbringing, not one's race. I think that it is logically absurd to group people in terms of race like that.
    Evidence? If there is no genetic component to behaviour, then how do you account for the consistent differences in temperament and intelligence in dog breeds? Why are Border Collies invariable more intelligent than Bulldogs, regardless of the environment they have been raised in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    Evidence? If there is no genetic component to behaviour, then how do you account for the consistent differences in temperament and intelligence in dog breeds? Why are Border Collies invariable more intelligent than Bulldogs, regardless of the environment they have been raised in?
    Are you seriously suggesting that Africans are less intelligent than Westerners due to genetics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    Are you seriously suggesting that Africans are less intelligent than Westerners due to genetics?
    Ignore him his a troll , most people dont take him seriously

ReputationRep:
    No, I am stating the fact that Border Collies are invariably more intelligent than Bulldogs, and I am asking how that can be accounted for if we are to believe the statement that behaviour is solely environmental and has nothing to do with genetics. So please, answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    No, I am stating the fact that Border Collies are invariably more intelligent than Bulldogs, and I am asking how that can be accounted for if we are to believe the statement that behaviour is solely environmental and has nothing to do with genetics. So please, answer the question.
    I'm not entirely sure you can make a relevant comparison between breeds of dogs as you can humans. The evolutionary paths have been very different.
    And, I might add that most border Collies I know have been slightly on the mental side anyways.

If you can find any evidence that suggests that genetics play anything other than a minor role in intelligence from a viable source then go ahead. It certainly seems like Western populations score better on them then African populations but even briefly skim reading the Wikipedia page on this suggests it's very much down to cultural & environmental factors. It doesn't take a genius to see the difference in standards & resources between education in the UK when compared to somewhere Africa.

I wouldn't be naive enough to suggest that genetics plays zero part but writing off a whole race of individuals who happen to have a different skin colour than you as being less intelligent is a somewhat dangerous notion.

ReputationRep:
    I am not exactly qualified to speak on the subject but it does not seem necessarily racist to suggest there may be slight genetic variations between groups who have been separate for thousands of years, and have had to deal with different environments.

IQ and other metrics are likely to be a nonsense when applied to Africa, my IQ score could go up about 40 just by careful study of the types of questions asked, which Africans in say rural Sudan will likely be unfamiliar with.

I agree with whoever it was above who said that African is such a broad continent that such a generalisation would be unfathomable, you may find that perceptions in former colonies are more similar to Europeans due to the language and experience with the colones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dat Tall Guy)
    x.
    I think my above post covers much of what you said. I totally agree with your point regarding IQ tests. They tend to be made by Westerners & are based around the Western system of education. A Kenyan who might be a genius (or at least have the potential to become one) but who can't read all that well would get a low score because of the inherent bias in the questions.

ReputationRep:
    If you can find any evidence that suggests that genetics play anything other than a minor role in intelligence from a viable source then go ahead.
    Not an easy task, most scientists won't go anywhere near the subject, for reasons I admit are understandable. It's not my intention to find a cudgel to bash other races with, I just think it is subject that needs to be studied in greater depth from an entirely neutral standpoint. If(I'm not saying there definitely is) there is a significant genetic component to human behaviour, I think in the long run it would be better for humanity to know and embrace the fact, rather than suppress it.

I will leave it at that for now. It's obviously a too contentious and uncomfortable subject for most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resitsutd)
    Yes but I don't see what that has to do with anything. They're still Africans
    They are descended from European colonists and are culturally still very European. So it's natural that they are going to adapt and fit into European society easier than say, a black native from the Congo.

I'm not entirely sure you can make a relevant comparison between breeds of dogs as you can humans. The evolutionary paths have been very different.
      And, I might add that most border Collies I know have been slightly on the mental side anyways.

If you can find any evidence that suggests that genetics play anything other than a minor role in intelligence from a viable source then go ahead. It certainly seems like Western populations score better on them then African populations but even briefly skim reading the Wikipedia page on this suggests it's very much down to cultural & environmental factors. It doesn't take a genius to see the difference in standards & resources between education in the UK when compared to somewhere Africa.

I wouldn't be naive enough to suggest that genetics plays zero part but writing off a whole race of individuals who happen to have a different skin colour than you as being less intelligent is a somewhat dangerous notion.
      This topic has been done to death on these forums.

-Genes have a huge role in IQ, as do education and health https://www.newscientist.com/article...ts-twin-study/ (I can't believe people find this so hard to believe; try educating a dog to the same level as your children, it still won't have anywhere near human level IQ. And before you cry racism here, no, I'm not saying black people are dogs).
      -Critics of IQ tests note that they were developed by whites, so could very well be biased in favour of whites
      -We're talking about AVERAGES here, so we aren't "writing off a whole race of individuals"
      -We're talking about races, not skin colour. Indians are genetically closer to Europeans than Africans, despite their often dark complexions (and it is ironically rather racist to group them together based on their skin colour).

It is useless comparing the IQs of European countries to African countries, as you say the education is very different. Instead, we should compare the IQs of European Americans to African Americans, (America has the largest population of Western-educated black people, so it has a nice sample size).

Hell, I'm going to quote myself
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      IQ is a poor measure of intelligence. The fact that IQ differs depending on which test is used proves this.

Where are your sources anyway? Most studies I have seen put Asians around 2-3 points ahead of Whites, and Whites 6-7 points ahead of Black people. Its not a significant difference, and much less significant than the effect of studying for the test beforehand.

While genetics obviously has a significant role to play, more significant roles are played by culture, education, and upbringing. Test result differences between the average middle class white and middle class black would, I assume, be a lot smaller, and probably even smaller between children of scientists of any race.

Edit: I'm going to plagiarise now:

There are types of IQ tests that masure anything but intelligence. Many will measure general & cultural knowledge instead of the brain functioning system. Culture-fair based types of IQ test are the most reliable ones, such as worldwide known Raven’s Progressive Matrices.

Geopolitics strategic studies have also conducted collective evaluations in order to determine the average IQ of several countries. Finnish researchers Richard Flynn, Ulstere University Psychology Professor, and Tatu Vanhanen, from Tampere University (Finland) found out, for example, that the average IQ of the population was 110 in Japan, 100 in the USA, 88 in Mexico, 82 in India and 70 in Nigeria.

It’s important to say that IQ studies also strongly suggest that the IQ would be formed as it follows: only 50% genetics, 20% uterine conditions, 20% environment and 10% other complex interactions. That makes it easier for us to understand why poorer countries tend to have lower IQ levels, once they lack in adequate nutrition, health care and education, all of obvious impact on brain formation and development.

Edit: Here are some interesting statistics, which show the impact of socio-economic differences on educational attainment (not IQ): http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ares.html?_r=1

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.